175 Pro-XS question????

WildWolf

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/engines/outboard/optimax-and-pro-xs/pro-xs-115-250-hp/#specifications

This is a 2.5 DFI 431 pound engine, I think that with port timing,size,fuel injection, ECU reprogramming,sportmaster,etc. These engines should be able to produce a reliable 225-245 horsepower? Am I wrong, isn't it a detuned version of a ProMax with the added performance of direct fuel injection? :soap box
$11,000 at Jacos http://jacosmarine.com/mercuryengines/index.cfm

What a great niche market being able to repower perfomance hulls like our Allisons and others.

Last edited:

The Cashew Kid

The 200XS is no longer a consumer engine. It's only built once a year when a certain number are ordered and it's for race teams only. It also has no warranty.

Dave Hensley

The 200XS is no longer a consumer engine. It's only built once a year when a certain number are ordered and it's for race teams only. It also has no warranty.
It is also $20k +++ and going up. Would be interesting to know the exact difference between the 175xs powerhead and the 200 XS powerhead. A good pro stock style 200 EFI will run circles around the 200 xs for 1/4-1/3 the cost.

Dave Hensley

Merc lists a a replacement powerhead for the 175xs. Am guessing that is a longblock. If you could buy a full dressed 175XS that would be a start. Of course if you lived in Abu Dabi and wore a sheet you could buy a new 200XS or a NEW SS 3000.

xb03fs

I did some research, there is a guy that goes by Todd D on screamadnfly that has been inside them. Id have to check to see if I still have all the pm's.

The main differences I believe were porting, reed cage setup, and Heads (compression) FYI, no idea on reed plate cost but ECU can be done by simon for $800 or you can buy one from merc for $2,500.00. Not sure what porting would cost or cutting the o-ring head) But just the ECU and cutting heads (o-ring) style per Tony could get the 175 Proxs in the 220 HP range. (93 octane though)

The 175 proxs/pre-2006 were ported more like 225 promax and the 2.5XS and post 2006 200 XS have porting more similar to 280.. The lower output iis due to the compressor acting like a dead cylinder being dragged around robbing a good deal of HP...

Its been a while since I looked into it but by the time you do that I am sure there would be no warranty left and you would still need to buy a sporty and solid mounts which are not available on a consumer 175 pro xs, which is supposedly already a stout 190 ish/

Dave Hensley

I did some research, there is a guy that goes by Todd D on screamadnfly that has been inside them. Id have to check to see if I still have all the pm's.

The main differences I believe were porting, reed cage setup, and Heads (compression) FYI, no idea on reed plate cost but ECU can be done by simon for $800 or you can buy one from merc for $2,500.00. Not sure what porting would cost or cutting the o-ring head) But just the ECU and cutting heads (o-ring) style per Tony could get the 175 Proxs in the 220 HP range. (93 octane though)

The 175 proxs/pre-2006 were ported more like 225 promax and the 2.5XS and post 2006 200 XS have porting more similar to 280.. The lower output iis due to the compressor acting like a dead cylinder being dragged around robbing a good deal of HP...

Its been a while since I looked into it but by the time you do that I am sure there would be no warranty left and you would still need to buy a sporty and solid mounts which are not available on a consumer 175 pro xs, which is supposedly already a stout 190 ish/
You can buy a bunch of gas for an old motor for that kind of coin......

wasmeneh

If they would just sell the 175 pro XS wit a Sporty with the normal warrenty that would be the ticket for an all around fishing motor.

Lotus 50

I was happily saving for a 200XS on the theory that it was more cost effective than adding solid mounts and a new lower unit to a 175XS. But I also heard that the price jumped a lot, like a decades fuel bill all at once.

I have heard that Jaco's will sell a 175XS without a lower unit. That could work for me down the road.

My 225 PM is a hoot, and even allowing for its thirst, much more cost effective. For me it's a question of range. I can easily outrun my fuel tank, especially if I run in no wake zones.

michael j giesler

Me at mercury racing this August let me start by saying I don't make a dime I do it for the sport and to keep two strokes going I tell people to call mercury racing then order them threw there dealership I heard they raised the price to 23,000 for the 200ros god I hope not they have been going for $16,500-18,500 i do know if someone wants one call asap because the deadline is close and they want 30% down

Attachments

michael j giesler

I have also been trying to get them to stock them and give a warranty hasn't happened yet the other option I tried was to make a powerhead kit but they said not again Jimmy Hensley had mercury make a couple of kits a couple of years ago and they didn't sell so they discontinued that project I will keep trying I just tell everyone keep sending emails and call them so maybe they will stock them

Dave Hensley

I have also been trying to get them to stock them and give a warranty hasn't happened yet the other option I tried was to make a powerhead kit but they said not again Jimmy Hensley had mercury make a couple of kits a couple of years ago and they didn't sell so they discontinued that project I will keep trying I just tell everyone keep sending emails and call them so maybe they will stock them
Michael we have talked about this before. I appreciate you carrying the flag at the factory. I hate to say it but Mercury probably has it figured out. There is only a handful of folks thatwill get off the coin for $20k for a 200 hp motor. The 280 ROS was suitable for twins and trips on the bigger power boats. I don't know if that market is there for the 200 xs ros. That would help volume. The 300XS/250XS at $16k complete is much more attractive and fit today's mass produced boats. My real problem is them not offering the replacement powerheads for the 280/300 and not making the 200XS READILY available for those few that want them. I did hear from someone who is buying a new 200XS ROS that the next batch will be close to $25k.

The best short term answer for our 20' boats looks like the 250xs/300xs powerhead adapted to a 2.5 mid. I think that would be a killer set up and Marty has done it with a Taylor mid and is down to 415 pounds. I am looking at a fairly simple way to bolt one to a cut down 20" bass mid. Anybody got a 300xs/250xs donor they want to loan out for about 3 months? Would be nice to know if that motor is going to be produced for a while longer.

Last edited:

90 5.0

What mid is on the 200ros?
Is it the same as a normal 2.5 SS? Or is it a special one?

Maybe just change the adapter plate? Just thinking out loud here, if one were to find a blown up 175xs power head cheap off a fishin' boat could you build a 200xs out of it and stick it on a 2.5 SS mid??

Thinking repower options, would be nice to have the economy of the xs and keep my mid etc?

Todd D

What mid is on the 200ros?
Is it the same as a normal 2.5 SS? Or is it a special one?

Maybe just change the adapter plate? Just thinking out loud here, if one were to find a blown up 175xs power head cheap off a fishin' boat could you build a 200xs out of it and stick it on a 2.5 SS mid??

Thinking repower options, would be nice to have the economy of the xs and keep my mid etc?
The 175 port timing is really close to a Gen 1 200xs. I have done just what you want to do. I took a 175 had it ported to Gen2 specs. (sleeves are available aftermarket) The standard 175 has the small front half with the narrow cages where the pro xs has the racing wider cages. if you start with the 175 over a 135/150 the exhaust chest doesn't need to be modified!