14 Allison

Paul

I'm looking into a 1978 14 ft allison. What can I safely put on it as far as H.P.? I've got 80, 100, and 140 mercs. And an 85, 100, and 125 Johnrudes. What type of props will work best? Any input will be appreciated. Are the 13s a better one for speed, or can you make a 14 run also?

Thomas H

I had one of those when they were the boat to race in family E. Had a Merc 50 HP, ran mid fifties. Always thought a four cylinder 80 would have been a great engine. Then, a six cylinder wouldn't weigh much more than the four cylinder. Hmmmmmmm.

Yamonster

I like the 90 Yamaha, 77+MPH (yes +) will not say how much yet. I rode over 60 miles this weekend with a 9gal tank, at one point I stopped and topped it off with 5 gals, from there went home and still had better than 1/2 a tank. I spun a 25p all day at 6600rpm, and I have a cleaver that I run at times for the big speed #s. A 90 Yammi is light and strong and easy to mod. I know that was not one of your options but is worth considering. Do a search on me, it will not let me put up a pic, because they are here allready.

Lotus 50

The 90 Yamaha is a good choice for a small boat as it's only 256 lab or so.

The crossflow V4s and inline 6's are 300 +/- a few lb.

hack02

The less the weight the beter. I had one with a 1500XS. Too much weight. You couldn't climb from the water into the back of the boat, it would start taking in water over the transom. You had to climb in over the side close to where the seat was mounted. 83 mph boat, which was fast for its day. Post some pics.

TBuck2003

Find yourself a 75 OMC Stinger(Johnson)or Hustler(Evinrude) great little motors for that boat.If you want to be that guy than go find a used SST 60 motor also three cylinder,light and pumps out 100hp now that would be fun.Also a cleaver is gonna be the fastest at around even with the pad.Good luck and keep us posted.

TBuck

Paul

Thanks to all of you for your input. I'll keep you posted.

Paul

Well I got home with it Monday at 2:30 AM with the Allison. Drove from Tenn to the boat drags in NC, then home to NY. Had a wheel bearing (sealed ball bearings) that was running hotter than I was comfortable with but we made it. Just one flat tire. I think it's gotta be the narrow pad by looking at it. When I post pics, maybe someone can tell me more about it. It's cosmeticly rough, but pretty solid. A couple patches, paint, and get the dead turtle smell out of it, it should make a nice boat. Should I go with cable/pulley or dual ride guide for steering? The original mechanical cable is missing, but the wheel is still there. Gotta finish the Feathercraft first though, or the patient wife won't be so patient any more. I'll post pics soon.

Paul

I can't upload pics on this site for some reason. I posted them on scream and fly general discussion. Let me know what you think.

Paul

Can't post the pics on this site for some reason. I posted them on Scream and Fly general discussion. Let me know what you think.

Jimxb02

I also think cable/pulley system is best on that hull ---- if you can get all the parts together. Plan "B" would be duel cable.

TBuck was right. The OMC three's 70-75 HP run well on that hull , but the SST60 , if you can find one is the motor to get . Try looking in the APBA mag " Propeller" in the classifieds for that SST60.

If you can't find the above motors go with the 80 Merc. Lower center of gravity than the six Merc's , also less weight than the big Merc's or OMC V4's. Also Merc in the mid 1970's built a 85 HP four called the 850XS. This motor came standard with a low water pickup in the gear case bullet. If you can find one this would be a good second choice.

But, again, if you can find one, or new if your budget can stand it, I would get the Yamaha three cylinder 90 HP. This motor has a good power to weight ratio and relativly low center of gravity. Remember this is only a 14' hull. Also, with some easy to do mods you could get over 100 HP and still have good reliability.

So , my top two picks would be the SST60 or the 90 Yamaha.

Good luck with whatever works best for you !!!!

Jim