xtb-21/2.5xs

nickens21

:sadOk guys I need some help! I took my boat out today to try out my new to me motor!! I was running a 200 carb with 1:87 gears! Now I have the 2.5xs with 1:62 gears! All of my old props SUCK with this new motor and I think it is because of the gears? I tested a 28et, 26 trophy, and a 27 tempest! Barely can get on plane, the 26 trophy was probably the best out of the hole! All these props worked great with my old reliable 200, except for the 28 because this was the first time I tried it! Should I try to get some lower gears or go spin some smaller wheels? I mostly fish with my rig so I dont really need a big number prop, just need some good hole shot good mid range and descent top end!
Any input would be really helpful! THANKS!!!!
Might be a day or so before I will be back to computer!!

J

John Richied

Going from 1.87 to 1.62 gears is like going up three plus prop pitches

GFinch

Like John says. Just borrow something smaller in pitch and try it, you'll like it. Smaller pitch will be easier to come by and the paddle wheel effect of a higher pitch will be less.
Also you might have something wrong with the new to you engine, this way you will know which way to go without spending $$$ to no avail.
I have 1.62 in my SportsMaster/OMCease used to be a 200. The 24 is my choice for picking on squirt boats. I use a 26 for cruising. A 22 is, rip your head off, boat laying on it's side. Well that is if it's running still!
It takes torque to pull that 1.62 gear.

ally2dextreme

it will be cheaper to change props than gears..gear change is a 500 rpm diff....so drop 2 or so pitches...

Crazyoz

Banned
Definatly go with some smaller wheels. Try them all until you find the one that works for you. If your like me that might take a little time due to lack of props to try around here, but that may not be the case for you. Good luck I hope you find what you are looking for.

nickens21

Thanks for the info fellas!! I went by my local prop shop today and spun a few wheels!! For not having much selection and being I was in a bind I bought a
23p txp!! I tell ya what that was the first time I ran a txp and I was pretty impressed!! My powerhead is still in break in and I was only able to turn 5900rpm but I was crusing at 78mph!! Well at least I have a descent prop to fish with until I have the time and sources to try some different wheels!! Hey John the 28et was a friend of mines so unfortunatlly I can't sell it!! He has a 26et and a 24et he is going to let me spin tomorrow!! Thanks again for da help!!!:smile

Darth VMAX

I don't think the 2.5xs ever had 1.62's. I just don't think the 2.5L has the nuts to run 1.62's. They originally came with 1.87s. The 2.5xs's were notorious for slow holeshots.

RedAllison

I agree with DMax, do you KNOW FOR SURE they are indeed 1.62s? I don't recall them ever coming with it from the factory, BUT since it IS a 3.0 gearcase they could at some point have been swapped out for some odd reason. The 1.62s are hard enough to prop with the 3.0 225/250/300XS motors to get proper bottom end while still singing loud on the big end. I can't imagine trying the same with a smallblock. :banghead

Since it IS a 3.0 Sporty you have on the 2.5XS I would say that if it IS truly a 1.62 then you would have no problems finding someone to trade you a 1.75 gearcase for it. Might take a lil time and effort but you wouldn't be out anything other than maybe shipping and a few days on the phone/computer.

Good luck and let us know how it comes out! :beer:
RA

Darth VMAX

If that is the case then I wonder if someone swapped it out for some reason?
Anyway, like I said asking a little 2.5L 225 hp motor that likes to make it power at the upper end of the RPM limit is a TALL order to turn a 1.62 ratio. I really think a 1.87 would work much better. Even a 1.75 would be better than the 1.62. Most of the time you only see 250-300 hp big-blocks running 1.62's.\

OptiMax 2.5XS Specifications:

Propshaft Rated Horsepower 225 (168 kW)
Full Throttle RPM Range 6100-6800
Cylinders V-6 (60

Last edited:

badbait

I'm probably wrong but I've always thought the early 2.5XS didn't come with the 3-liter case. My limited experience with one on a SS2000 was very possitive. I thought it was quite torky and since it's a direct injected motor it's not a high reving motor. Put on a 24 Chopper II and that should offset the 1.62 gears and give you plenty of bow lift to carry a good load plus put you into the mid eighties. A 26 ET might be a very good choice for a top end prop for that setup.

badbait

I think you will like it. It will run very close to the same speed as a 28 would if you had 1.87 gears.
Looks like I may be wrong. When I think of a 2.5 XS I think of the 200XS and not the 225XS. Shows how much I know. I guess I didn't know I was looking at a 3-liter mid.

Last edited:

nickens21

Update///: I tried the 24et and it spun up to much coming out the hole!! I turned it up to 6700 but there was a good bit of slip, did not have the gps but I know it was not as fast as the txp!! I have been fishing a few times with alot of weight in the boat, it carries a load pretty well and holeshot is not too bad!! Fuel economy is unbelievable!! The same run that I would make with my 200 I would burn 7-10 gallons of gas, only used maybe 4 gallons with the xs!! When hunting season gets here and the boat is not in use I am thinking of selling the 1:62 gearcase or just buying 1:87's and swapping out the gears!! Even though u down size in pitch I think its still tough for that 2.5 opti to turn those tall gears! Any opinions?

Darth VMAX

IMO you are spot on. Sell the 1.62's and get what the motor was made for (1.87). Glad she is running good for you. Economy sounds awesome!