xs hybrids

John S

I know it isn't January yet, but I was thinking of a good topic today while driving home in the dark from work. Merc is putting big $$ into developing these supercharged verado motors, and on the racing side, they are now going into the optimax motors. Is there a possibility that a supercharged opti-xs is in the makes? I love my 200xs, but the bolt on hp would be awesome! I know mountain sleds have worked great with turbos/chargers, so why not outboards? I think they have the electronics to do it (Ive been told the monitoring systems on the optis are on par with a space shuttle - well maybe thats not the best comparison). Does anyone have any info about this, is the factory or aftermarket tryin this, or is this just a wet dream I'm having? In my mind, getting the kind of hp that chargers provide, along with the reliability they provide would be well worth the ca$h. MERC, IF YER LISTENING, SHIP ME ONE, ILL BE YER TEST MULE!! :twisted:

John S :D

vcrash

While the superchargers and turbos work well on the small 4 strokers they are not the most reliable thing on a 2 stroke, ive built 2 two stroke turbo snowmobiles and while the horsepower is incredible (over 300) with 800cc motors they are deffinatly not what you would call reliable, Great for racing but thats it, The 4 stroke however can handle the 300 plus horsepower and be very reliable especially with a low compression motor and smaller displacement, The problem however with appling this in an outboard motor is the need for a air to air intercooler to cool the compressed air before entry into the motor, the shape and size of an outboard does not allow the space for such a thing. there is the possibility of mounting one remote ??????????, GET WORKIN ON IT.

jimmyb

turbo/supercharger on a crankcase scavenged engine is problematic

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
I am of the idea that it is only a matter of time before aftermarket suppliers help to keep the 2.5's alive. Just like the smallblock Chevy, the 2.5's produce an incredible power-to-weight ratio and there are a lot of them out there in both 260 and 280 configurations.

Until someone produces a 300 hp motor that weighs 375 lbs or less, I am sticking with the old school.

jimmyb

DFI or EFI the problem really isnt with fueling,it is with tunng. you still have a problem with a pressurized crankcase and trying to properly fill each cylinder... the pressurized crankcase kinda kills crankcase scavenging and the overall tuning of the motor. The pressure also effects the way the reeds open...

not saying it cant be done (landandsea did a turbo way back when), but it is problematic

John S

Dreamkiller. :cry: Thats pretty good info, though. I just wish there was ways to play with these new motors like the old ones. In all other motorsports there seems to be endless mods, and these dfi motors gotta have more in them. Maybe well have to kidnap a merc engineer and hold them hostage til they spill the beans! :twisted:

John S

Forkin' Crazy

I see what you are saying. Maybe some one needs to incorporate EGTs with the computer...LOL!!! 8)

I have seen one L&S turbo rig that ran really well.... after he had replace almost every part with custom built pieces. :shock:

B

BP

All things are possible with enough$$.
I wonder how this worked?I'll bet it sounds/sounded wicked as hell.
Doesn't use a cowl but a scattershield like drag cars have over there cluthches :lol:

allisondog69

I JUST WISH I COULD FIGURE OUT HOW TO PUT THE 14" LONG TURBO V6 OUT OF A BUICK T TYPE INTO MY ALLEY, AN ALUMINUM BLOCK WITH ABOUT 800 HORSE POWER WOULDN'T EVEN STREES THAT BAD BOY.JUST THINK YOU COULD MOVE THE FILLER CAP ON THE GAS , LOL

Jimxb02

I agree with 2fast.

With all the 2.5 engines produced over the years and all the after market players; we should be able to rebuild these motors and keep them running for another ten years. In time with improvements in technology maybe someone will produce a 400 pound green motor that pulls 300 HP.

Jim

hack02

I wish someone would produce a bolt on a turbo motorcycle engine like a big Suzuki or Honda. I just read about a Honda Blackbird powered drag bike which put out 500 HP. The owner said it would probably make about 200 runs down the quarter mile before it would be torn down. So, at 3 or 350 HP it should be a good reliable 10000 rpm motor for a boat. I believe if you took away the tranny it would be plenty light enough. Just food for thought.
Someone needs to start making aftermarket 2.5 blocks.

white03

Lou I hope you are right about aftermarket manufacturers...but I have my doubts. The problem with all the above scenerios is that we, as a high performance boat market, simply are not large enough to support a large scale aftermarket manufacturer...nor are we large enough to support a newly designed go faster turbo engine...nor are we large enough to convince a current manufacturer to build a light weight 250-300 HP motor.

Just my opinion and I don't say it to start a debate or argument.

Parts for our HP Mercs will continue to be available for some time due to the high numbers of motors out there now, but for those of us like myself that are not mechanics and can not rebuild our own motors we will start to pay a premium price to keep these Merc's running. And if you think what we are paying now is high...you ain't seen nothin yet!

More opinion: the writing is engraved on the wall already - get ready for the 3 liter on most of our Alli's.

Take it a step further: how much longer will the super performance boat manufacturer continue to thrive without light weight HP to bolt on the back?? Something to think about.

No intention top be the voice of doom and gloom, I love my Alli and will be keeping it, just trying to be real.

Bill

GPI Racing

There are some alternatives. Powertech is making a V-8 version of the Suzuki Hyabusa(sp?) and has versions fron 300hp to 450hp. It's lightweight and run 11000 rpm all day long. I will have one by spring and adapted to a center section and gearcase. I weighs less than a 2.5 powerhead does now. Cost is higher but not that much. I'll figure how to post a picture and then we can discuss the possibilities. For now go to www.cosworth.com then click on the short video of the 2.4 litre V-8 F1 engine turning 20,000 rpm. When the video was made (in May) they were at 700hp. They are approaching 780hp now. The whole engine weighs less than 220lbs.

Randy

Tunabote

Add another button to your steering wheel. Get yourself a bottle of laughing gas. Pork a hole on the side of your intake of your 2.5 and away you go boys and girls!

Lookin for a Late XB

John S

What are the torque numbers on all the 2.5 mercs? My buddy and I were talking about the other options for motors and my catalog doesnt have any #s. I wonder how all these new motorcycle would match up.

John S