XR2001 Battery Placemet

mwr

I am running a single wet cell 1,000 amp battery and it weighs a lot. I have it placed in front of the fuel cell and just behind the seat by perhaps by 12". I am thinking it may be better to place it toward the back of the boat. Perhaps behind the fuel cell. The engine is a S/S stock 280 and has 6" of jack plate. I am a little guy about 175 pounds. So my weight in the front is less than most. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Last edited:

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
The battery in the XR2001 belongs (typically) in the front of the boat. Ahead of the foot throttle in the cavity provided for it. That is one reason Darris put the removeable cover up front.

Your own light weight could exacerbate handling problems (porpoising at high speeds) without the battery weight up front.

jwt

I am using a Odyssey 925 which weighs very little & have it up front. I weigh 210 lbs & had all kinds of handling issues. Lee Sanderson (1st class guy in my book) explained to me that I was still too light up front. Put in 2nd Odyssey which I needed anyway to run my Weldon pump and put in 25lbs of lead shot up front. Handles like a dream. Totally different boat. I'm still a newbie with this, I don't claim to be an expert, but this helped me alot.

Casey G

It's all about getting the cg right on the boat. With a light motor and a heavy driver you need the weight further back then a heavy motor and a lighter driver.

I run mine father back. Right now I have a 925 and a 545 right in front of the rear bulkhead. I’m actually in the process of moving the tank back a little and putting them behind the rear bulkhead. since your motor is quite a bit heavier I think where you have it should work fine, but you can always try it up front and see how you like it, it may work for you?

mwr

Thanks Guy's for the response. I have Matthew Caldwell's old boat and just trying to get it set up. I don't know how he was set up and with a 15" mid and less H/P on the boat now I am going through trail and error, plus seeking all of the advice I can get.

patches

i thought thats who this was. me and bret hamilton from dsra were just talking about this boat the other day at mt. pleasant. i'd like a shot at this one if you ever decide to sell. good luck with it. oughta be fast. what year is this hull

mwr

I will be sure and let you know when I decide to let it go. The hull, trailer and motor are all 05's. I have had the motor since new and have an hour meter on the switch as well as the ECU reading. I bought the boat from Puckett about a year ago ( I guess Caldwell traded it to Puckett when he ordered the new one-not sure on that). The hour meter shows 29 and the ECU about two hours less. So I don't use it much as I am too old to get in and out of a boat but have had one for so many years that I still want to keep it for a while longer. Have a good one.

Last edited:

mwr

Brack, you be my man for all these years. I didn't even know you were interested in my XR. You never said anything. Take care my friend.

Brack

Thanks Murry, I knew you where just getting it lined out,.....didnt know if you where ready yet,....just let me know,.....Im sure Cindy wouldn't mind if I had 2 Allison's.....lol

patches

as long as you've been talking about getting one i think you oughta get first shot at it:very happy. 2005 will be a newer boat than i can swing anyway. i have a pretty good idea how light that boat is and i know its fast.

hullbilly

Hell, go ahead and put me third in line! I want a light one! Patches can buy mine ( he needs a stout top cap for all his big womenz) and I'll help y'all out with this little dilema!!!!

Heard at the sandbar that someone cold called darris about wanting a carbon fiber layup and was quoted a smooth $50K w/ no trailer!

Had my xr2001 out this weekend and had a freaking blast! My boat was rigged with the battery in front, which is accessed through the front fairing. I'm going to leave it there and see how the boat runs before I move it. I'm 180lbs and just don't have enough seat time in the boat to have a firm opinion.

patches

he needs a stout top cap for all his big womenz
just cause my wife is pregnant doesn't mean i like big women:LMAO::beer:

i'm gonna find one but i'm really hoping to hold out for a sub 500lb boat. :gasp

Brack

yeah, I've wanted one for the last 3 or 4 years, and I've almost made a move on a couple that has been for sale,......I have not seen Murry's XR in person but if Murry Reese own's it I know it will be nice,

Larry D

we have 5 in our group that are running xr2001. 3 in prostock and the other 2 run modified,progas and out law. we have the boats set up with all the weight as far to the rear as we can. 3 of the boats have to add as much as 250lbs to make weight and all that weight is put as far to the rear as possible. all drive very good. later Larry D

bigtis

Larry, is my boat one of em? if not, add mine to the list of weight to the rear.

I'd also be a buyer for the 05 matthew caldwell boat. would love to make it an outlaw boat. or see if it'd be faster than my drag I have now in prostock trim.

Larry D

Larry, is my boat one of em? if not, add mine to the list of weight to the rear.

I'd also be a buyer for the 05 matthew caldwell boat. would love to make it an outlaw boat. or see if it'd be faster than my drag I have now in prostock trim.
Both Randy & Ronnie have the newer bottoms and they are about 2-3 mph faster then my boat. later Larry D

Waterdigger

we have 5 in our group that are running xr2001. 3 in prostock and the other 2 run modified,progas and out law. we have the boats set up with all the weight as far to the rear as we can. 3 of the boats have to add as much as 250lbs to make weight and all that weight is put as far to the rear as possible. all drive very good. later Larry D
yeah what Larry said...I run one dem big refrigerator motors so I don't have to add much weight! LOL