XB21 trolling motor shaft length

GotMyAlly

What shaft length are ya'll running on your XB21's? Got a 45" Fortrex now. Considering upgrading to an Ultrex. My 45" motor has always been long enough to maintain bite in all but the roughest stuff, but it is set at the lowest position and almost always stays there. I'm concerned that with the digital features of the new Ultrex, I'll set the spot-lock and both fishermen walk to the back of the boat and it'll lift the TM out of the water.

JWolff

Have somebody on the dock watch as two of you go to the back of the boat now. They should be able to tell if it will be an issue. I personally doubt it will be an issue.

GotMyAlly

Well....that would be the logical thing to do. But that would require me going to the lake before I submit my order! :deadhorse:

JWolff

Since I don't believe you have the compartment lid interference issues on your boat that my 2+2 has you would probably be fine with the longer one. But that head sticking up higher while deployed is a magnet for getting whacked on casts unless you normally fish deeper than 4' or so which would allow you to keep the longer shaft buried to keep the head out of the way. (Oh the jokes that last sentence could/will bring). Just order the short one and be done with it.

Allyfishing

I'm kinda wishing I would have ordered the longer one for those "just in case I need the longer shaft in really rough water" situations. but again, like just mentioned, I rarely had to drop the head of my MG tour all the way down. But like you, i too thought bout the times I may want to move to the back of the boat to fish on "spot Lock" and hope the motor stays in the water. That in itself is a concern. With the collar adjustment knob taking up the last 2 or 3" of travel it may make a difference. My MG did not have the adjustment collar. I won't know til I can get back out on the water and test it. Another thing to take into consideration is the fact that the lower unit may not rest on the guide rails when stowed if a 45" shaft is all the way down. Same thing with the 52". But the good thing with the 52" is you can lower it down far enough to keep the lower unit in the water and still have enough shaft up top to get the lower to rest on the guide rails when stowed.

GotMyAlly

Think I'll go with the 45". Part of the plan was to simply drop the Ultrex into my existing Fortrex mount. Should be a 5-minute install that way. After looking at parts diagrams, the 52" and 60" motors have a longer base plate and arm. I don't have the rod locker issue, but it would definitely eat up more deck space.

GotMyAlly

Glad I went with the same length. 45" Ultrex is about 1.5" longer than 45" fortrex. I think if I had went to the 52" motor, the head would have blocked opening the front storage compartment when the TM was stowed, too.

Allyfishing

curious to hear what you think of this motor. takes a bit of a learning curve to get used to the quickness and responsiveness of the foot pedal. But I adapted quickly