XB21 Pro Sport Elite 300X

redwingally

Dan Blakenship ran his brand new 2009 XB21 Pro Sport Elite 97.6 today on Lake Okeechobee in a wind blown 18" chop @ 6150 GPS with a 30" Perfomance chopper with a Remco cut. Boat had all the seats full fuel /oil and tournament load of rods and tackle, (1) man.

He feels he needs a smaller propeller to get to the power band on his motor. Motor has a 7K limiter. He feels that triple didgits are right there within reach. Boat looked like it was on a rail going across the chop, no movement at all. He tried to blow it out in the wide open water by over trimming to no avail, it just slowed down when the nose would drop. He dumped the throttle at 90 and she just shook a little and sat down.

Jack plate was set at even with the pad and the temp and humidity was unbearable if not for the 15 knot wind.

This is one amazing boat. Not too bad for a "shrimp boat".

fishnfireman

:beer: Yes they are amazing.:beer:

Do you know how much setback he is running? Sounds like he has it setup great. Tell him to be carefull trying to blow it out..Ol spudman thought his would not do it..But he later proved that it could.
I heard a rumor that another 21 did a hi-speed u-turn. There are some of us who feel the Skidplaner might be a factor with this.

Was also wondering how he managed to get ao 09 before July..
Always before....by law, you have to wait until then, to get the next years model.

Last edited:

redwingally

Has the factory set back and wedges. I believe 8"

As far as the '09 before July is concerned that would be a question for Glenn Reynolds and or Nancy.

I will let him know that they will blow out.

fishnfireman

Good deal.

I would hate to see any one get chunked out. I figure if he does not go any higher with the J-plate he hopefull will be OK.and could overtrim with the same results he has seen.
however most of these 21's do seem to want more prop shaft ht. to reach there full potential. However that will make it more prone to do a prop turn...In my opinion.

Hust think how much better that pig will run in Cool temps.

I'm just jelous about the production date...I ordered my last two Allies to be out as soon as they would allow the next years model...both of them were put in th mold the first of July and pulled when everyone jot back from the holiday.

redwingally

I dont know Mike, I think it will be hard to get tossed out of this boat. The cockpit is so big I just couldnt believe it. makes the 03 look like a toy. even though the seats are up a few inches off the floor you still sit down in the boat. It feels a bit more secure than my 2+2 for some strange reason.

Personally I feel the economy is so bad and the Bass Sport Pro has really put a dent in the sale of the 21 Pro Sport and the 2+2 they are doing whatever they need to in order to sell them. I get the impression by the end of the year that if you want a 2+2 or a pro sport you will have to place an order and wait. According to Glenn the Bass Sport Pro is the flavor of the day and I can understand why. It appeals more to the tournament fisherman. They are unbelievably set up for tourney fishing and according to Dan they drive just like an Allison. One of our buddys bought one of those from Glenn also. Glenn has had a good month for Ally sales.

You can get one heck of a deal on these boats today, just an unbeleivable discount. When the economy turns around I think they will cut that out, but right now in manufacturing you must turn what you build into dollars even if you make less on the bottom end. Golden rule is you must move the stock.

yes cooler temps and less humidity would sure be fun to see.

fishnfireman

No doubt about it ---(our high priced gas) driven economy. Is going to change a lot of things.
Some of us have had some disposible income in the past for our toys and such..But now that money is going just to keep up with rising prices of consumer goods. You would not believe the motor homes, big diesel pickups, boats and such that are for sale in my area...

So yes they will do what the can to sale em.

You know the main reason Darris built the basssport pro, was to get in on the mainstream tournament sales..I'm glad to hear that the sales are good.I still think that the low horsepower rating has been a deterent to some tournament buyers. If this gas keeps getting higher we might all be putting a 115 4 banger on them. So it might be a + [Ha HA]

In my opinion the PERFECT tournament boat would be the bassport pro with a prosport windshield...But then i do 90% of my fishing from Sept. May.. So the added protection is great.. I get in a traditional style bass boat now ...and I can't wait to get OUT. I hate them..

I will never own another one.

redwingally

Correction, just measured and it was 3/4 below the pad.

I know what you mean. I use to drive my Dodge 2500 Cummings at 80+ everwhere and be happy with the 16-18 mpg I was getting. Then it started to take 2 credit cards to fill it up since in my part of town they only trust you for $100.00 on a card.

The first tank of diesel I put in was $1.86 a gallon 4 years ago. Today I paid $4.7999999 per gallon. I have slowed WAY down and get get 18-20 mpg with a mixed hwy / city driving When I go to the lake house I run 64 mph and get over 23 mpg on average. I do the same with the 21/250XS, most of the time. Sometimes I cant resist lettering her eat.

His serial number and paper work have '09 on them

I forgot to lower my jack plate when I put her in the last time and took off running with a 28 HP3 cut performer. I thought It felt different but it still drove great even at 82. No problem with the pressure at all, strong all the way through. When I measured, it was about an inch and a 1/4 above the pad. The following week the driveshaft bearings seized up and the boat shut down at 50 mph and the result was a $2000.00 repair bill. Seems it sat too long and the seal went bad after running it for about 18 hours.

We really have no idea where to run them yet. We have less than 15 hours total between us in them. Lots and lots of hours in the 03's but that is a differrent horse. No fear we will get it that I am sure of. Nothing we like better than palying and trying wheels in the river, except catching fish. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get his to run at least a hundred next week

fishnfireman

No doubt with that 300X it should run tripiles..and I bet your right..he could do it next time out.
I don't want to scare you but there are a few of us who think that the skidplaner on that hull will contribute to doing a prop/ bow turn.This is not my theory ..but came from some who have a LOT of seat time in Hi Po boats. After hearing it and driving these rigs. I believe they are correct. It seems to be more prevalint at or near 100 mph.

I think/hope and pray I have done some things to help eleviate this.
After bringing the motor closer to the transom.and changing prop styles it has not acted like it was going to do something wild.

Dang i hate you lost the LU that always hurts.especialy now...heck 2000.00 that would buy, what about 20 gallons of fuel :furious

redwingally

Not quite 20 gallons but close.

I dont know much about the plus / minus of the skid planner. I know it worked great on my 03 but I wasnt trying to run 100. I dont try on running 100 in my 2+2 either with any motor.

I have always been impressed with Dan Blankenship's driving not so much how fast and well he drives an Allison when things are going good ( Heck my wife drove an 02 75 mph the first time she ever drove a boat. I couldnt get it over 70 the first time. Needless to say I couldnt find a hole deep enogh to hide around these knuckleheads in Lake Okeechobee.)
but more impressive is how well he does when they go wrong.

redwingally

Mike, Dan also feels if you raise the motor above the skid planner the prop is going to let loose. He has about 1 to 1 1/2" more to go before he gets it there. I think he is going to break 100 way before he gets it to 1" above the pad.

fishnfireman

Sounds like he is headed in the right direction.
Good luck and be safe guys.
Do you know which windshield he has ?
They make one which is about 7 inches and another that is 2 inches shorter

So far my best speed has been about 1/2 inch above. I normaly run it from 1/2 below to about even.
but keep in mind I took the extension out and I'm 0nly running the hydr. jackplate with the 2 % wedges.

Last edited:

fishnfireman

I have both now..It will be interesting to see if it makes a difference at mid to upper 90's
I have heard that once you get to a certain speed which is proly around 100. Take the windshield off and it will gain 4-6 mph.

redwingally

Well that is interesting. I will pass it on. That is a lot of MPH to pick up to say the least. has anyone really tried it or is it just a theory? I know that it must create some drag but 5 mph is a whole bunch in my opinion. Worth a try though, cant cost anything to try. I will keep you informed. we are going to play with some big wheels this weekend. I need a big wheel to keep the 250XS off the limiter.

fishnfireman

There was at least one who was running a 300 who pulled the windshield off who has posted on here.

It's not so much about the drag from the windshield as it is the down force.

I am running the 300XS
I have only had the boat at a lower elevation one time. It ran 99 and some change with just me and no water with less than 1/2 tank of fuel. That was with the short windshield.
I may never get to run that again as I am putting the big windshield on. and will more than likly go to the 1.75 gears. I tournament fish 99.9 percent of the time at higher elevation lakes.. So I am setting the boat up for peak performance at what I do.

redwingally

I agree. You can strip anything down and run big numbers but we prefer to know what it will run with your typical everyday fishing load.

ally2dextreme

if you take the windshield completely off you will go over hundred so easy you will laugh..at the speed yall are running it feels like an elephant sits down on the front deck...