XB21, flush mounting larger depthfinder at bow

GotMyAlly

Anybody tried to flush mount a bigger unit at the bow than the factory-installed 7-series h-bird? Looks to me like a Helix 7 should fit. It's the same height, 3.5" wider. I'd give up the little bow light and the switch for it and maybe the cigarette lighter outlet to make room for it.

RiverRocket

I did a 7 elite. I have a HDS9 Gen3 I'm looking at swapping in now. It will just fit, but the top will be sticking up a bit. If you cut down into the deck it won't stick up. I was thinking if I cut the deck I should just bite the bullet and do a 12". The trolling plug would have to go to do that. Not that big of deal. I was going to make the 12 hinge so you could get under it. I would also add a tool holder/box underneath to add some versatility. Here is the elite 7.

Tim Powell

Different top but I am working on replacing my HDS10 with a HDS12. The unit will fit the opening but the 12T bracket is too wide for the recessed area.

RiverRocket

Well, I had to see this darn post.....
I got out my favorite cutting tool and went to town. A HDS 9 Gen 3 fits. It required a lot of trimming. No going back now. You could get it without trimming the lower lip, but it sticks up a lot. I didn't like it and took out a good chunk of the lip. It now sits about a 1/4" above the forward hump or wind screen. I may make a plate and take out the entire lip, I will run with this for a while and see if I want to change it. If I had it to do over again, I would hug the cable pass hole tighter. I tried to leave room so it would have some rigidity, but you have to bias the finder that direction to clear the top corner. For the record, I wasn't the guy who did the original cutouts. I'm assuming that it doesn't come from the plant looking that ugly.....

Wow, someone shouldn't be doing trimming.....

If the previous guy wouldn't have cut that hug divot on the right side above I wouldn't have had to ride so close to the upper right corner. This proved to be the real challenge in getting the finder down behind the wind screen. As I said, I would have liked to hug the cable pass through closer.

Without cutting the lip. Up too high for me.

Final cut before lower lip trip. You can see the pencil line of how far down I cut. This was before final filing, sanding and cleanup.

I finished after dark so no good photos. This was the last photo I took before getting it to drop down further. It ended up looking a lot better when it dropped down behind the wind screen.