XB21 2+2 & '96 225 Promax setup?

Allyfishing

I've been doing a lot of reading since I bought this boat (actually before as well) on this board as well as any other forum I can find that talks about our boats and there were two good questions asked over on BBC regarding jackplate height and trimming on the 21 footers.

How high can ya run the motor and at what trim?? Great questions and some great advice given. One in particular was from Lee Sanderson on his experience with the 21's and how he accelerates and the method of slowing down. Here's his response to Manny:

"Manny,
7 to 7.5 is the max trim I've ever gone to with the engine at the ultimate height.
What I normally do is leave the jack plate between half and three quaters on the gauge until I get up enough speed to get the boat up on the pad. The trim usually ends up at about 7.5, (gauges may be a little different, do what is comfortable for you) then I'll start raising the plate, once the plate is up near full guage the bow comes up even more so I tap the trim down to about 7. I'll continue to raise the plate until the water psi drops to 20 and then I may bump the trim up or down once or twice depending on the load and feel. When I come up on a wake or get ready to slow down, I'll start lowering the plate and letting off the gas then adjust the trim as needed. I found several years ago that the 21's react better while slowing down using this method. It gets the skeg deeper in the water for better steering and does not drop the bow in as to create a bow steer problem like can happen by trimming down and letting off while leaving the engine elevated.
If you are able to trim to 9, the engine height is most likely way low. I have ran them at full trim, (10) just playing around. The bow is way too high and the tail is dragging leaving a lot of speed and better handling on the table due to the engine being too low.

Now to cover my rear side a little more.
This is just my opinion and what I've experienced personally.
The trim gauges will not all be the same so do what feels comfortable to you."

I have not started alot of posts but have chimed in here and there asking questions (hope I didn't offend anyone hijacking a post) so I figured its time for me to start asking questions.

In that quote Lee mentioned numbers for trimming. I'm guessing its with the newer engine with the smartcraft gauges. I've read and been told the engine trim should be either level or even slightly negative in relation to the pad at top speed. He also mentioned raising the JP while running and bumping the trim as needed til water pressure drops to about 20PSI. How high can ya go while running?? I marked my JP gauge at 1/2" under pad, even with pad and 1/2" above pad. I marked my trim gauge to be level with the pad or neutral.

Since I have an older style (fresh rebuild, which BTW, thanks to some here I got the kinks worked out) 225 Promax I feel I am treading on different ground. Most everyone else has 250 ProXS's, 225 SportXS's or 300's. I have a Brucato ACU with the rev limit raised real high and Todd propped me with a QIV-OT 26P to hit 6750RPM's. I only broke into the 80's once with it in the low 6000RPM range cuz I got real squirrelly and the port side raised up a bit. That's when I was told by a good buddy Don (F2008) to weigh everything on each side of the boat so I bought 3-25LB bags of shot (yup, about 80LBs too heavy on my side) for the port side when I get to go back out again.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Especially any advice from guys with the older style 225PM's on a 21 footer.

And Lee, if you read this, thanks for that advice to Manny. I've read stories of what not to do to slow down so ya don't get wet, but never put the way you did to slow down with the 21 footers.

Thanks to any and all replies and to a great family of owners!! (Sorry this was so long)
Craig :big grin

Bobalouie

I dont have one of the 21 ftrs, but you and I got our boats about the same time, and are learning at the same time, so I will share with you what I did.

My XB2002 is set up with a 7" Jackplate and the prop is set at 1/8" ABOVE the pad, which is unmodified stock (still has the lip). I marked my trim gage at level with the pad as well and when running like that the boat was running WAY dirty, I didnt realize how dirty it was until I did the following:

In order to gain confidence in what the boat was going to do at higher trim heights, it was suggested to me by the previous owner (flying butcher) to go out and get her up to about 40 mph and hold that speed, then trim to level and start bumping the trim up until she blows out. If you blow out at 40 mph and she hooks, its not going to toss you out of the boat, it is more like a hard turn on a jet ski. Well, at an OBSCENELY high trim angle she finally started to roll over onto the right side, which is a sign that you are already too far trimmmed up and you need to bump back down. The back end of the boat also started sliding around (like driving a rear wheel drive car on ice - that little herky jerky side to side feeling). That trim level was up around the max level on my gage (mechanical gage goes from 0-10), with about 6.5 being neutral.

After that I took her up to about 65 mph trimmed level with the pad and bumped the up trim and all I can say is WOW, you really feel the boat come up out of the water and start flying. I trimmed it up to about 7.5 on that outing and she was running pretty good.

Last weekend, Flying Butcher and I met up at a lake about halfway between the two of us and he took her out to find the "sweet spot" on the gage for me, which turns out is about 7.5-8. I cruised her around at that trim angle and she really flys (90 mph @ 8200 rpm w/ a 22P tweaked drag prop was my top number - 20 mph wind again). So, mine is requiring some positive trim to get her all the way up on the pad. This might be because I am running a little above the pad and I lose some of the lift generated by the gearcase - I dont know for sure - because I always read that neutral trim plus maybe a bump is all you need on an Allison. Mine is 2-3 bumps up on 24V trim.

I dont know for sure if the 21s will act the same way, but for mine the bow comes up a little bit when you trim too high. One bump down from when the bow really lifts is the sweet spot.

You might try the low speed trim up till she starts acting goofy method to build confidence and learn how she feels when she is trimmed too high, and to figure out where that is on your gage. We probably wont even use the gage after the first season of driving, we will feel when it is right and when it is wrong.

Last edited:

The Whip

Hey Craig

After 11 hours I have put on my engine I can say that I am good to 83mph for now. I am in no hurry to hit top speed as that will come by the end of the year.
I love reading as much info as I can on these amazing boats and never get sick of it.
That little explanation that Lee Sanderson posted on BBC helped me the very next time out.

Manny
BasSport Pro
300xs 1.62
Bravo 1 XS 29p (for now, Hydro soon)

Allyfishing

Bobalouie, that explanation & advice sounds good. I have red that in the "Red Book" many times on holding a specific speed and work the trim to get a feel for the affect. And laying on the right side sounded like what mine did at 81+. I didn't know why at the time and after I weighed everything in my boat including me I realized I needed more weight on port. So I didn't know if it was the weight thing or what you were describing that caused the boat to lean right.

Manny, I'm at the 11 hour mark as well and can cruise upper 70's easily. Actually right on up to 79. that was before I put some marks on my gauges & 1/2" below pad. Now that I have read Lee's explanation I will try some things differently. Problem is, now that the weather has improved it brings out more pleasure boats, fishermen and the lake patrol boat (45MPH speed limit) on a 7 mile long lake!! Grrrrr! LOL! Gotta find some bigger water.

Thanks for the replies and any other advice greatly appreciated.
Craig

F2008

.......Problem is, now that the weather has improved it brings out more pleasure boats, fishermen and the lake patrol boat (45MPH speed limit) on a 7 mile long lake!! Grrrrr! LOL! Gotta find some bigger water....... Craig

C'mon up. No spped limit here ......yet. Northbound it's about 50 miles to the first dam. Southbound 'bout 90, then a hard left. .....next stop Europe. :big grin

F2008

.......Problem is, now that the weather has improved it brings out more pleasure boats, fishermen and the lake patrol boat (45MPH speed limit) on a 7 mile long lake!! Grrrrr! LOL! Gotta find some bigger water....... Craig

C'mon up. No speed limit here ......yet. Northbound it's about 50 miles to the first dam. Southbound 'bout 90, then a hard left. .....next stop Europe. :big grin

Allyfishing

For sure.....see what next week brings in the way of work. YOU get behind the wheel and let 'er rip!!! Then we'll try some props! BTW, I filled the holes in the Hydro with caulk and it shrunk up a bit so they are now concave...will that still work?

Allyfishing

Re: XB21 2+2 & '96 225 Promax setup? UPDATE

Well since I started this thread asking questions and getting answers and advice I figured I would provide an update to what I have done with the setup.

I initially installed 1" spacers and did some testing and didn't see any noticeable difference in how the boat was reacting with trim and JP height.

After Lee Sanderson posted how he gets the 21's rolling in a response to Manny's question over on BBC I asked him if he set up any 21 2+2's with a 2.5L like mine and he mentioned he had great success with the addition of 2" spacers on a 2+2 with a 225X. Lifted and handled real well. Soooooo that's what I did and what a difference!

My home lake is small, busy and has a speed limit so I started going out at daybreak the last few weeks practicing on getting the feel for trim and JP height. With the help from TBuck figuring the percentage of slip with the numbers I would give him from my runs assured me that there was room to go up higher with confidence I was not going to hook or something.

The QIV-OT 26P is the fastest (duh?) so far @ 85.0MPH @ 6800RPM's dead on neutral trim at even with the pad and 25PSI. That's 6% slip. The handling is great and easy to drive. Nearing the end of a run the rear would lift some more and the bow would level off and if I would bump up more trim the handling would get unruly.

I tried a PRO ET 26P (new with a warranty) and at 83.9MPH @ 6800RPM's neutral trim and even with the pad at 25PSI for maybe 4 or 5 outings and it has held together. Like Neal mentioned in his update on his rig after Clifton he needs a ring to keep the Quad from slipping on hole shot. The PRO ET came out of the hole great with very minimal slip. Both handle about the same and drive easy but the Quad is faster.

I have not gone higher than even with the pad yet til I get the balz to do it. Oh, and all practice runs have been with a full tank fuel and normal gear for fishing tourny style and 75LB's of shot bags on port side to balance out the load. I don't want to learn with anything lighter than I normally run.

The acceleration is incredible with my little 225 ProMax on this hull and getting to 80MPH is done in a heartbeat. It's getting the bigger numbers that still has my butt puckered up til I get back on the trailer. Each new speed attained is a "hold your breath and hope you're doing it right" experience.

A trip is scheduled for Ohio on the 20th of September when Manny and I will descend on TBuck and have him put our boats to the test. Todd says he has a few things for Manny to try. Maybe Todd will be able to trim up a bit more and see if the tail lifts up and the bow lowers for him on my rig.

This is a fun boat and if I can run comfortably with my wife along at 80MPH anytime I want I'll be a happy camper!!

Thanks for all advice along the way from all who offered!
Craig :beer:

The Whip

Great write up Craig, your right this web site and BBC has been very generous with their knowledge. Ally owners are very friendly with advice.

I can't wait to see Todd and let him try the different props and air my boat out properly.

Manny
BasSport Pro
300XS

Allyfishing

Re: XB21 2+2 & '96 225 Promax setup? UPDATE

So it's for sale? :big grin

I still say you'll hit 90, or come so close you brush up against it. :beer:
What...you wanna buy it?? to sit on your TV and look at it. :LMAO:

You'd be on the limiter shortly after hole shot with a 26P

Maybe another 2 or 3 there. Todd will be the one to hit those numbers!! :beer:

Allyfishing

Great write up Craig, your right this web site and BBC has been very generous with their knowledge. Ally owners are very friendly with advice.

I can't wait to see Todd and let him try the different props and air my boat out properly.

Manny
BasSport Pro
300XS
Well said Manny.....great members, great and open advice and a great family!!