XB2003 turning a 28 A-5 chopper 6700

brotherxb03

I wen't fishing today and put my box stock 28 pitch A5 chopper on. I have a sportsmaster with a 1.87 gear and turned it 6700 with the hydro plate set around 3/4 above the pad. How fast do you think it was running. I think I could have got a couple hundred more out of it stretched out.

FlatOutAlly

I wen't fishing today and put my box stock 28 pitch A5 chopper on. I have a sportsmaster with a 1.87 gear and turned it 6700 with the hydro plate set around 3/4 above the pad. How fast do you think it was running. I think I could have got a couple hundred more out of it stretched out.
Maybe 90. Still more work to be done though... If you're really 3/4 above, you could be a bit too high.

Last edited:

GotMyAlly

My guess is you had a lot of slippage at 3/4 above if you have a stock pad lip. Upper 80's at best....that's my guess.

xb2003

i agree if it was trimmed u were slipin some.... try a touch below the pad 1/4" to 1/2" rpm's will come down, but speed should go up.. JMO
I agree you should lower to atleast a 1/4 below and go up till the rpm's increase and speed drops. Lower it a 1/8th and your set for that load. You should still be able to run at or close to the rev limiter in the low 90's.

msethsmile

Funny Guy
Is that a small ear chopper? I don't think one of those will carry a xb2003. Not enough blade area unless you run deep, which kinda defeats the purpose.

brotherxb03

It's a big ear. The boat also leaned a litlle to the right at wot. I find I have to have the hight and trim perfect to hold the boat at wot. This is only the second time I try running a chopper,but it handles better with the sportsmaster then with the other LU with the bob's on it.

Last edited:

GotMyAlly

My experience is that the 03's need a little more weight in the port side to make it balance perfect for top end running. Even my center steer leans a little to the right a little at WOT with everything else being perfectly centered. A small cooler or tackle back in the port side storage box is all it takes to balance it out.

chad202

I know people get nervous when it leans to the right but the way I look at it is balance. The faster you go, obviously the more boat you have out the water. What balances a boat a certain speed may not balance it at a faster one. The teeter/toter side/side will be more the higher the pad gets on the water. Right or wrong, I tend to see/look at things differently then most ally owners.

GotMyAlly

I add more weight to the left side of mine. It'll lean a little to the lift in the mid range, but straightens up on top end. I'd rather have the lean at slower speeds and level out when strung out.

brotherxb03

Mine is a side steer and I had the left seat out with a small cooler and a 20lb tackle box where the left seat goes. But i'm about 220 and I'm running 2 batteries in front of the tank.Would they be better in the back port locker?

GotMyAlly

I tried my batteries in front of the gas tank. Too much weight-forward for my liking. I didn't seem to get the lift I needed. I've got two optimas in the port side box and one small cranking batt in the stbd side box.

chad202

With my lip gone, I run my batteries in front the tank. I tried in the rear of each back compartment but the boat slowed down. I think with the motor being 14" back and the two batteries being in the back, the rear of the boat was dragging. Every setup is different.

GotMyAlly

With my lip gone, I run my batteries in front the tank. I tried in the rear of each back compartment but the boat slowed down. I think with the motor being 14" back and the two batteries being in the back, the rear of the boat was dragging. Every setup is different.
That kinda makes sense. With the lip gone, you should have more bow lift/less stern lift. So it seems logical that it should carry the weight forward better. With the stock lip in my case, more stern lift should carry the battery weight further the to rear. When I moved my batteries in front of the tank, I had to trim the crap out of it to get mine to lift with a 2-man fishing load.

chad202

That's what I figured also Neal. I think if I'd come in with the jackplate, I could've left the batteries in the back but I like the fact that I have all that free space.

Aqua Vicious

It's a big ear. The boat also leaned a litlle to the right at wot. I find I have to have the hight and trim perfect to hold the boat at wot. This is only the second time I try running a chopper,but it handles better with the sportsmaster then with the other LU with the bob's on it.
When mine leans slight to da right, I bump down a notch and you can feel it bite immediately. It actually does a slight fishtail manuever and straightens right up. The RPMs go down but the speed increases and the lean goes away. This, to me is an indication of some slippage.

Last edited: