xb2003 speed with 225 ProMax

scott mann

Here's the deal....xb2003 with light fishin' load, two batteries, MG trollin' motor, side steer (balanced pretty good), 26 ET, 20" Sportmaster, Detwiler hydraulic plate bolted to Ally setback plates (14.5" total) running about 1/2" below pad, 225 PM with Rapair VP3 profile (7000 rpm limit), 1/2 to 3/4 tank of gas. Best I can do with the 26 ET is about 85 mph @ 6700+/- rpms. I feel like she needs more positive trim, however according to my stainless marine indicator (which I have double checked the calibration) she's runnin' slight positive trim. Here's a question, do ya' think I could be gettin' some flex in the jack plate / setback plate set-up (that I cannot duplicate when calibrating the mechanical trim indicator) so that under load (at speed) I'm not actually runnin' at neutral or positive trim as indicated by the gauge? hmmmm

Thanks in advance,
Scott Mann a.k.a :roll: slow poke and scaredy cat

chad202

I'm sure some people will say different but in my short experience with my XB2003/225, the 26 ET was the worst blade for this setup. A 28ET or some sort of 28 cut chopper was ALOT better. A 26 ET ran 86mph on my boat and 28 choppers and 28 ETs ran 91-93. A 28 chopper with a RL ET cut was the best of 93.1mph. That was with full fishing load and just me in the heat of south louisiana and high humidity. The above it from my experience. Others may feel different.

Myron

I would stay away from ET's, choppers, and such for your setup, I would run a worked 26 Throphy or something along those lines. When I had access to Lake X I ran many setups and props it is hard to beat the thropy for this. Now if I was going for light load for top end only i would run a lab chopperII.

GotMyAlly

Unless you are carrying an enormously heavy load, you should be able to slam that 26" into the limiter. Well, unless it just isn't lifting enough. I've found that 28" props run best for fishing days and a 30" would probably be more fitting for top end runs on a xb03/225PM. I have a couple of different 28" props and I can pull both of them to the limiter in the right conditions (one may be a little less than a true 28" I think...I pulled it to the limiter with 3 people in the boat and a full livewell). The other pulls to the limiter (6800 on my boat) with 2 aboard in cool weather, in the heat of the summer I have to drop the passenger to get it to the limiter. If you can't pull that 26" past 6700, either you have your motor buried, you aren't getting enough lift, or your motor isn't pumping out the HP it should.

froggy

Scott,

My buddy has an XB 2003 w/225PM. I was running a new prop, for him, the other day, and all I could get was 90.1 mph at 6800 rpm (engine is stock except for Brucato SVS/PCU and pre-mix). The prop was a true 28 pitch Hyperdrive ES prototype. It turns out he had messed with the engine height when he reduced his offset from 14" to 11". I jacked the engine up to approx. 1/4" above, from 1/2" below and picked up 5.5 mph. In other words I had two runs at 96MPH and 7250 RPM. It was still pulling when I had to shut it down.

If you do go up, in order to stay safe I recommend the following:

froggy

Scott,

I recommend the following to stay safe when raising the engine: 1. Get your boat up to about 45-60 mph and start trimming. Keep trimming until your boat 'prop walks' (the rear end will start moving to the right). When it begins the 'prop walk', note your trim position on your Stainless gauge. Now make a mental note to stay away from that high of a trim when you run flat out. You can approach the trim angle but DO NOT EQUAL it or you will have something happen you won't like.
2. If you follow this procedure each time you either change props or change engine heights, you'll stay safe and will be able to explore higher engine heights.

There is no reason you shouldn't be able to hit your limiter with that 26" E.T.

froggy

deadeye99

Scott, my pro max with 1.75 gears and a 26 et ran 92 on the limiter with almost any load. You do have to string it out a little and my first thought when reading your post is to use the trim gauge in the seat of your pants. You may have to go a little higher and use a little more positive trim. Bob

catfish123

Well here is my experience with a 2003XB and 225 Promax. 26 ET into the limiter (6850--225x Promax) at about 86-87 mph. 28 ET into the limiter at 90 mph. 30 ET that is hard to get to the limiter at 94 mph. 26 Trophy into the limiter at 86-87 mph. 25 Trophy into limiter at 82 mph. 28 Allison cut Chopper II at 6750 rpm's runs right at 91 mph. I have not been able to get this prop to the limiter yet. Runs more like a 30 pitch ET but doesn't achieve the same speeds. A lot depends on your load and what you hope to accomplish. I still like a Trophy prop for everyday and carrying a load. Others don't like Trophys. I have heard both very good and very bad about 27 pitch Trophy props. I have never had an opportunity to try one.

scott mann

thanks

As always, Thanks guys....

I will experiment a little with prop height and trim angle
Scott Mann

bassman33

xb2003/225 speeds

Guy I have ran 92.3GPS with My stock 27 trophy not bad for a $400.00 fishing prop.Never tried any other props ,this is with trolling motor 3,batteries 1/4 tank of gas.

RedAllison

My stock 27" Trophy has run 88.8 gps with a VERY heavy load (over 100#s of tackle and 18 rodNreels in the locker and under the dash) with full tank, overloaded cooler, troller and two men at Douglas at last years rally early in the morning in the rain. It took ALOT of trim (Todd Bucknall kept yelling, "MORE TRIM") and the hull didn't feel like it was very well "locked in", it felt like it would've been easy to hook the boat from just the right wake.

Now the 28" QuadIVOT, 91gps, 5 minutes later, it took a set and drove MUCH better!
RA

xb2003

Scott.....My 03/Promax ran best at 1/8th below. I could get 90.1 to 92.3 pending on how much fuel I had with a 28 chopper. My set up was the same as yours....but without the hyd. plate. Jack it up to 1/8 below....use your same trim angle and see how she acts.

deadeye99

I loved the way a trophy ran on my boat. You could run it VERY high; always had bite. The problem I had over a 5 year period is the blades crack from running on the surface. I could always feel it and never had a problem other than it can ruin a weekend without a spare. 1.75 gears and a 25 trophy @ 91 gps on the limiter with most loads. I know the #'s don't add up but I do believe they run like a higher pitch. Bob