xb2003 set up?

sspainhower

bought a xb2003 last july and really didn`t get much time to use it,now I`m wondering a few things about the set up? 1. battery placement? 2 group 27 trolling batterys are in the port side rear storage, starting battery is in the starboard side rear. is this the way most xb2003`s are or should I think about moving them, I do have a trolling motor on the front and it does get used. thanks for any input scott

Jay Martin

I would move the cranking battery more to center, I set mine up the same way you have yours now and let me tell ya...It was no fun driving it....One thing you need to know up front is that Allisons are super sensitive when it comes to balance. Also, do not try running the prop real deep, that to will make it harder to control.

F2008

Scott, when it finally softens up I'd put it in the water, get in it and put a level across it, then adjust stuff depending on how it looks.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
It also depends on where the steering is. My XB2003 currently setup for center steer and with 2 big batteries in the port hatch and the starting battery on the port side of the center hatch it leans a little to the left. I just got the boat late fall and I need to move things around too.

Texan

I've got the two trolling motor batteries on the port side back hatch, then the cranking battery in the center. This was how it was set up when I bought it, and after learning to drive it, I saw no reason to change it. Also, one way more experienced than I at the time told me that the set up was about as perfect as it could be, and he wouldn't change a thing.

xb03fs

It also depends on where the steering is. My XB2003 currently setup for center steer and with 2 big batteries in the port hatch and the starting battery on the port side of the center hatch it leans a little to the left. I just got the boat late fall and I need to move things around too.
Depending upon the lean it might be just right, for me at least a very slight lean to the left handels best up top at WOT........

zatchmo

Depending upon the lean it might be just right, for me at least a very slight lean to the left handels best up top at WOT........
That's interesting. Mine likes a very slight lean right when running WOT. It levels back out at just under 100. I run 3 batteries, 2 in the center with trim and fuel pumps, one in the rear of the port locker. Side steer, I'm about 190#s. All my tackle and cooler go in the port locker as well. Life jackets in the stb. This gets reversed when I have a partner (the batteries stay), and the boat still leans left. I just don't go as fast with 2 people and it's fine.

GotMyAlly

My 03 was center steer and it ran best on the top end with a little more weight on the left side. It would lean to the left just a little at rest, but would level out over 90 mph. I had 2 optimas in the left side compartment and 1 cranking battery in the right side. That gave me right about +30 lbs on the left side.

Prior to that 3 batt setup, I had a 2 batt setup. 1 Group 27 in each side. THat balanced perfectly level at rest but leaned to the right a little over 90. A cooler full of drinks on the left side brought it back to level on the top end and gave it just that slight bit of left lean to the left at rest that i described earlier.

If you've got a side steer 03, it'll probably take a little more weight on the left side to counter your weight. In a center steer, the passenger doesn't really matter....just put him/her in the back centered behind you. Now that I've got a side-steer 21, I keep a shot bag in the boat. It goes in the passenger side rod locker when I'm solo, and i move it to the drivers side when i've got a partner. That seems to work well so far for me.

sspainhower

Thanks Guys, I will give those a try, as soon as the water gets soft, and flood waters reside. Is it worth the money for a hyd. jack plate? I plan on getting a skid plan from allison soon, but I don`t want to have to redrill the mounts on the skid plane. thanks in advance.

xb03fs

YES definatly if you will be chaning loads all the time and YES definatly if you will be running different props all the time.

If you are going to run a similar laod and same prop all the time probably not a big deal

boater777777

YES definatly if you will be chaning loads all the time and YES definatly if you will be running different props all the time.

If you are going to run a similar laod and same prop all the time probably not a big deal
Why do you keep changing props?

xb03fs

I only have 5 some on here have WAY more than that, and Don I may have caught up in hydromotives I am up to 3

they can also be viewed as a savings account if I ever needed some cash I am sure I could sell a couple.....

RedAllison

Is this a side steer XB03? What motor?

If you have an XS or any motor with the 16a flywheel then I'd recommend the 3 battery setup. If you run a 2.5 based engine with the standard 40a or say a 280 then then I'd recommend you ditch the 2nd troller battery and only run a two battery setup. I ran my XB03/225SS with only 2 batteries for the majority of the 8 years I owned it and fished many tournaments and out of town trips with it and never had any battery problems.

I had a sidesteer. Ran 27 troller in port rear and a 27 dual action port in front of the fuel tank and being an SS motor the trim pump was starboard front of the fuel tank. A FULL cooler in port box would usually suffice for balance if I was solo (245#). When running with two over 85mph I'd put the passenger bucket in the center rear position. When empty and going for broke I'd put a 25# bag of shot in the port "open" storage behind the rodlocker.

You'll feel a difference in holeshot if you can ditch that 3rd battery. Plus the rear of the boat won't be so low in the water when more than one person is on the rear deck or the livewell is full. With the weight you save deep 6n that 3rd battery, go with a hydro plate. I wouldn't own a lake boat without a hydro plate. Simply to user friendly and you can "shift on the fly" or simply tailor it too the conditions with the flick of a switch. Wouldn't have one on a raceboat but for a fisher/play/lake boat I wouldn't dream of NOT having one!

:beer:
RA

ps
A large playground ball in the jackplate is worth the looks you get as well!!!

xb03fs

Is this a side steer XB03? What motor?

Ips
A large playground ball in the jackplate is worth the looks you get as well!!!
I find 3 soccer balls provide the most flotation, two on the bottom and one on top, one large ball did not fill the cavity as fully

I an wanting to ditch my third battery, although, since I am just a weekend play fishmerman I may just go to the large cranking in the rear port, and two group22 which weight 38 ea. I am thinking one in front of the gas tank and the second still in the rear port....

a single group 27 weighs 65 lbs, I don't think 15lbs will make that much difference, however.

Jay Martin

I'm like you "weekend angler", I run 2 group 29's in the port wing, I can still fish all day without a problem. I run a 24 volt 82 lb tour.