xb2003 question

Mad-optiMax

Just got a new Lowrance with dual frequency transducer; where is best place on transom to mount bracket? With my other GPS unit(Garmin), bracket was alot smaller and no problem to mount opposite side of speedo pick-up. Is there a space between gas-tank and hull for short screws if I go higher? Ain't drilling till I'm 100% sure will work. If somebody could post pictures I would be greatful!

jimmyb

FYI, if you mount on the jackplate, you will only be able to use the transome mounted transducer at off plane speeds... on plane it will be out of the water.

However, i dorked around for about 1 year trying to get a transom mount transducer to work on my allison while on plane... after breaking a transducer or two, i gave up and figured the transom transducers werent up to the task of living during an 80+ mph shutdown... hehe

I am running a humminbird 987c on my boat. The big side imagine transducer is mounted on the jackplate, then i have a shoot thru hull mounted in the transducer tray in the boat. I have a transducer switch that allows me to switch between the two transducers and i can read depth at speeds up to 50-55 with the shoot thru hull

Mad-optiMax

I guess thru-the-hull is the best solution except you get no surface temp reading which does come in handy. Considering just taking off speedo-pickup since it never stays popped down anyway; and mounting in that area since its a little larger. That is what makes me think there is small space between gas tank and transom.

Blueally XB21

Just an FYI guys. I use the built-in well area for the thru hull transducers in my Allison with a surface temp readings and I also have a surface temp reading on the trolling motor transducer which has direct water contact. They read with in a 1/2 degree with each other. I was suprised they where that close but I guess the conductance of the water contacts transducer well area of hull and keeps the hull close to the water temp. If I understand it correctly, the builtin well area section on allisons do not have the core material so the temp of the hull in that area will be very close to the same as the water temp.

Just my .02 worth. Hope it helps.

Harvey

Mad-optiMax

Harvey, are you able to maintain good sonar contact with bottom while on plane? With my Garmin 168 mounted off transom; 25-30 mph was about it and still get good reading

Mad-optiMax

Where's the best spot on a xb for shooting thru the hull? Other side of center rib opposite pump? Does spot have to be sanded smooth first? Or is there a tray under gas tank?

jimmyb

the tray is under the livewell... you get to it thru the little access panel behind the bench seat (if you have a bench seat)

Blueally XB21

Mad-Optimax, I can read well up to 70+ MPH. With that said, the XB21 hull is different than the XB2003 hull. My brother-"out"-law had a 2003 that read okay at 60ish MPH. You can mount the transducer with a "thin layer" of silicon just as a test, if it works mounted with silicon it will work much better when you mount it permanent with epoxy in the same spot. Just a thought...

Good luck,
Harvey

Mad-optiMax

Guys, thanks for all good responses to questions! I never would have thought to look under livewell. Probably once you hit 60-65mph that part of pad is too far out of water for transducer; and just start getting surface clutter.

jimmyb

i dont know what you guys are seeing on sonar returns running at 60! hehe

if you realize that the water is too shallow, well you better not shut down!