XB2003 prop recommendation

catfish123

I have nothing in this other than just offering a recommendation from my experience after running MANY props on my XB2003 with 225X. I now have a 27 and 28 pitch Hydromotive Quad IV OT. These are very good handling and running props. They fall very close to the best top end numbers I have ever achieved and the handling, driveability of the boat, holeshot, midrange punch is the best of any equally pitched props that I have run. If you try one, make sure it is the OT, because there are many versions of these props produced. It took me 11 years of "prop testing" to get to this point

Ltcbutch

Thanks for the post. I am in the prop market now and trying to determine the better all around for toting a fishing load, pulling tubes, and still letting her eat!

I'm thinking/looking for a 26 Hydromotive T4-X, Quad IV OT, Drag 4, or Mazco 4 blade. Recommendations came from H2OSkiier30.

Do you run heavy with that 27? I'm running a 28 merc 3 blade now and it is not the best holeshot with 2 adults and 2 kids.

Thanks.
Butch

catfish123

I have not run either yet with a real heavy load......maybe about 400 lbs of people.......some fishing tackle, etc. Both 27 and 28 come out of the hole well with that load.

boater777777

I ran a T4X and was not that impressed I think the OT is supposed to be a good prop I had good luck with a RE-3 It gave me an incredible hole shot all were 28's

Ltcbutch

Forgot to mention, I'm running a XB03 with 280 and 20" shaft. Limiter is set at 8200 I believe, not that I plan on being there with the loads.

Stace

Catfish,

Does your Hydromotives blow out/cavitate when the bow drops on holeshot? I have a 28 quad IV ot that Todd just cleaned up for me and the second the bow drops on the holeshot the tach screams to 5800-6000 before it hooks up. Drives and handles great once on plane. It's going back to TBuck as I located a new sand bar with it last weekend. It doesn't take much sand after they have been sharpened up does it?

xb03fs

Mine does not blow out on break over, it stays hooked up, but I am pretty sure it not stoxk it was one he worked for rallies easiest to drive prop and carries a load better than anything I have tried so far

catfish123

Both of mine stay hooked up pretty well when the bow drops. They may break loose just a little, but it is certainly not objectionable. They run some of the lowest slip numbers of any props I have ever tried.

GotMyAlly

If you like the over hub style props, send Todd a chopper II and have him Knob Cut it for you. Otherwise, I'll throw out another vote for the quad IV OT. That's a hard prop to beat on an 03.

catfish123

I have had a knob cut and between it and the Quad IV OT, I'll take the OT on holeshot by a large margin. The knob cut stands the nose up in the air much higher, thereby slowing down the holeshot, and it does break loose considerably more when the bow drops. This is nothing I wouldn't expect with the difference in blade area and it being an over the hub exhaust.