XB2002/sportmaster L/U

fasterbass

I have a 1997 XB2002 basser 15" mid ,11.25 setback ,5/8 below pad,4 blade Hydromotive,Allison sea star steering Stainless trim gauge (no guessing).here is my dilema.It had a CLE lower with a bobs or tooter type nosecone,pointed and sharp.ran very fast and drove very easy.It crapped out.I bought a nice shiny all aluminum sportmaster with a big thick tourque tab ,and all I changed is the foot.the measurements above is where its at now.now it has about a 3-4 second slow hop which is very slight and a chime walk that will work you to death in 2 miles .I am guessing the motor need to come up to at least 1/8 above.pad has full stock lip.would anyone know for sure about whether or not to grind off the torque tab,taper the skeg back at the bottom and possibly shorten it an inch? Anybody got one or know for sure.Got a buddy with one you could call and ask? man I'm dyin here ! please respond .I hate to grind the wrong thing and ruin a new foot. Lee

patches

If you are actually 5/8" below with the centerline of your propshaft I'd raise the motor. Start at even and work your way up in 1/8" increments. You'll find the boat easier to drive and faster

ziemer

If you are actually 5/8" below with the centerline of your propshaft I'd raise the motor. Start at even and work your way up in 1/8" increments. You'll find the boat easier to drive and faster
I agree. The Sporty's like to be higher on these boats. ;)

K.Kiser

Another thing you may want to look at is the nosecone tip in relation to the propshaft height... Nosecones installed on gearcases especially for Allisons are often mounted about 1/4" - 3/8" lower than say a stock sportmaster to allow a higher running propshaft height without "skiing" the bullet tip... If this is the way your gearcases are set-up then it exaggerates the set-up making the sportmaster propshaft even deeper than the tooter case even with the same measured bullet tip elevation...

whipper

Most guys seem to be happier with the SM with the Alison mods to them. Theres not a whole lot of 02 owners Ive read about that leave the SM stock from. They do as you are suggesting. My belief would be because of the very high efficiency of an 02 over most of the other Allison's with exception of the XR you have over kill in the gear case dept keeping it stock. It could be the way the stream comes of the hull is more dense and when it hits the gearcase with all that skeg in the water the deflection is to great at a certain speed and your ventilating, osculating the prop a little causing a minor blow out off and on around the prop. Is this with or without the troller on? Some times more weight in the bow can fix porpoise but its not the cure.

Even if you try higher prop shaft heights she still shouldn't porpoise ever. So it has to be the shape of the gearcase since this just started after the change.

Last edited:

h2oskiier30

Just like they said above, Lee. With 11.25" of setback, I would say that 5/8" below is WAY too low. I have 9" of setback with a factory 15" mid and I'm running at 3/8" above. I would start at even and go up from there.

ziemer

Get the height where it needs to be first, then worry about whether or not the sporty needs to be modded.

There ain't nothing wrong with a stock sportmaster. Other blunting the nose and maybe closing off the one water inlet... Ran one on mine for years and I know of another guy running one now well into the 120's... :gasp :big grin

Jimxb02

I agree with the advise above !!!!

You are too low with a stock SM ---- you should raise it to even with the pad as a starting point. I have a XB2002T at 13" back and 3/8" above pad with a SM case.

As was pointed out above, that old case may have the point 3/8" below the prop shaft center to help with water pressure at high motor height.

Good luck!!!!

Jim

whipper

Get the height where it needs to be first, then worry about whether or not the sporty needs to be modded.

There ain't nothing wrong with a stock sportmaster. Other blunting the nose and maybe closing off the one water inlet... Ran one on mine for years and I know of another guy running one now well into the 120's... :gasp :big grin
Jeff 120,s on an Ally stock SM? I always thought the skeg had to much meat on them for lighter hulls to run that fast guess not.

ziemer

Jeff 120,s on an Ally stock SM? I always thought the skeg had to much meat on them for lighter hulls to run that fast guess not.
Tyner's gearcase is basically a stock sportmaster. The nose is blunted and one pickup is filled. Full skeg though. :beer: You get 'em high enough it don't matter.

mtolley

I put a sporty on my xb02 for one weekend. Changing nothing but gearcases I lost 5 mph. Didn't get it back till I raised the motor alot. Don't remember exact amount but I run the coned 200 case @ 1/4 below for fishing and all around running with the family.personally would rather have the coned case.

David Shook

Well into the 120's on an xb20002 and a sportsmaster ? I didn't realize you could put a tralier hitch on a Z-71!
Shook