XB2002 Bassracer/Optimax

bassracer

I have a late 80s 750 lb Bassracer. I put a 225 Optimax on it; Bob's Bigfoot with Ally setup - LWP nose cone point set 3/8 in below propshaft centreline by Bob's AND propshaft height set 3/8 in below the pad. Running a 28 trophy prop. I am using 6 in of setback because the motor is heavy. I tried 9 in setback and it handled worse. This boat doesn't handle good at all. I have to run it with neutral trim - ie: the propshaft is about level with the pad. I can't trim it up at all as the boat goes haywire and lose control violently. I am coming to the conclusion that the motor is just too heavy for this boat. Anybody got any ideas.

JOEALLY

I don't have that boat, but have been told MANY times that Allison run best with just a bump above neutral trim. :?:

Hello bassracer..

Does the 225 Opti have solid motor mounts? That should be a nice efficient setup unless you have an issue other than the motor, i.e. loose steering, or a damaged bottom ??

Good luck, hope you find your problem.

Jimmy

GotMyAlly

Just a suggestion...try a different prop. Most people that have ran 28" trophies don't like 'em. They are very different from a 27" trophy. You might try a 27" trophy...a lot of guys have good luck with them, but you might also want to try a different prop style altogether. As was said above, allisons run best with just a couple bumps above neutral trim, but if you try a prop with less bow lift (ie. cleaver style blades) it might help some.

jimmyb

the 225 opti is a heavy motor for a 2002... but i think you could get it to work with some seat time and setup work.

how much experience do you have running an allison? have you ran the boat before with a different motor?

bassracer

I have run a normal weight 02 with a promax and it handled well and went faster. I can't imagine that the diff between a 27 and 28 trophy would make that much better handling. At neutral trim the boat only goes 75 and it feels stuck to the water. Any additional trim and the boat goes snakey. I think the motor is too heavy but I wanted to hear from someone with experience with that.

hack02

I've seen some good running 02's with Johnson engines, not sure if they are as heavy as a newer 3 litre Merc. I wouldn't give up on it without some more trying. How many batteries are in it and where are they? I would try different propshaft heights also.

D

DarthVMAX

I will be interested to see where this goes. When I first bought my XB2002 I wanted more than anything to rig a 3.1L 250 Vmax (EFI) even though it's "too heavy". Then come to find out (thanks to John R) my 02 is a Comp Pro so I pretty much threw that idea out the window. Beings that what we are talking about here is a Bass Racer which is even lighter and the 225 Opti weight is similar to the 3.1L Yammie I am curious to what comes out of this. My thoughts would also be less set-back, reduce the "extra" weight in the stern and something (prop) that lifts the stern.

BTW the 3.0L V-6 (Carb) OMC's weigh about 450 lbs so I think your looking at about a 50-60 pound difference with the 3.0L Opti.

hack02

Buddy Camp, Budddawg, used to run an 02 with a Johnson and it would run a hundred like it was on rails. I don't know how much setback he had though. Maybe HO would know, if he sees this thread. Oh yea, that was with no trolling motor.

bassracer

Buddy had the 02 tournament model which is 900 lb i think. I do have a trouling motor on it as I fish too. But I thought the extra weight up front would help. Maybe I will need to add weight in the upper mid area under the deck???? Somehow to get it balanced like a comp or tournament model. The motor does not have solid mounts but I can't see that making a big diff. The pad is in excellent shape. I have 1 RV battery in the centre ahead of the fuel tank. I think that most all the weight in the boat is in the stern - as such I suspect it can only handle with 7 gallons of fuel; empty live well, no extra weight, 1 person and a light motor - ie a racing configuration. Need confirmation on this.

RB in NM

The difference betwen the 27 and 28" Trophy is like Midnight and Noon.
people play hell trying to get them 28"s to work like they oughta.

And Buddy used to run with that little OMC troller on the nose too.
RB

D

DarthVMAX

I have always been told that the Bass Racers did not have a live well in them??? :? :?: You might want to call Bill @ Allison with your hull ID # and he will verify what hull you have.

bassracer

Bill said it was a bassracer as well as the seller and some had live wells but you had to hook up your own plumming. Anyone want to buy a 28 trophy? Any other ideas??

ally2dextreme

dont sell 28

you will need it to stay off limiter ran both 27 and 28 both work fine do you have batts in stock location also? you need to put all batts in front of tank. do you have lid in floor?

bassracer

I have 1 battery and it is in front of tank. Lid in floor? There is a lid on hinges that tilts up under the rear seats. Will I need to put more weight in boat up front????

bassracer

Will I need to mount the motor directly on the stern? I don't think I will get enough height that way.