xb2002 20 inch rude needs help

shockwave

I am new to A boats and you guys are the A boat gods! I need a good starting point to get this boat to handle. Here is what I have:

XB2002T 900lbs according to BILL.
225 looper rude no real mods other than fiber reeds.
Unknown low water pickup cone.
The only thing I can say for sure is that it does not look like my land & sea cone.
27 pitch over hub.
6 inch manual jack.

I have a 6 inch Bob's hydraulic I can stack or change. As best I can tell prop shaft is 2 inch below pad....and at that point the boat washes the sides.
Everything that I have read on this site indicates 2inch below is way to deep so yesterday I lowered it 1 inch. Tomorrow I plan to take it out and check the results.

I appreciate any input and advice you have to offer.

Thanks,

John

Bobalouie

I run my XB02 1/8" - 3/8" above the pad. IMHO, you shouldnt be any lower than 1/4" below the pad, and from the sounds of it, you probably need to come up another 3/4". I have similar setback to you, mines a 7" manual plate. You might want to check and see if your pad still has the lip on it, because that will greatly effect the height you will want to run your engine. Mine pad has the lip on it.

On another note, do you have cable or hydro steering? If it is cable, you will need to make sure there is absolutely no slop in your steering, and make adjustments if it is not tight. If it is hydro, make sure it is properly bled.

How long have you had the boat? If it is new to you, it will probably take quite a few outings in the boat before you get the feel for her. If your setup is bad, then it will just compound your problem.

Last edited:

SLOmofo

"2inch below is way to deep so yesterday I lowered it 1 inch."

I take this as you raised the engine 1 inch. Instead of lowering.

When you get to the lake have some one that you trust tell you if at rest it is level side to side. Look at the transom.
If it isn't take the time to move stuff around to try to get it level sitting at rest. Get used to the boat by driving through any and all conditions. Do this in 5 mph speed increases. Trim it up, trim it down. Steer through wakes at different angles. Only at the slower speeds trim it way under and over so you get the feel of the boat.

Once you get to the 55 mph and above mark it will start to chine walk. Don't fight it, just slow down and begin again. Look out in front of the boat not at the bow, look at the horizon. Think about when you learned to ride a bike, and the input you had to use to balance that bike. You use your inner ear to walk, bike and now to drive your Allison.

Don't back off the throttle suddenly, trim down a smidge and then roll out. The OMC I have has about 5 degrees of play in the trim angle between on the gas and off the gas. The engine basically trims out an extra 5 degrees when you back off. If your trimmed out correctly and then back off, now your way over trimmed. Be forewarned this is where I've hooked 5 out of the 6 times.

Be sure to wear your life jacket at all times. That kill switch will save your life, use it always.

shockwave

Thanks for all the fast and informative replies. That sounds like a lot of good information and sound advice. Looks like I will need as much study time as seat time.

F2008 I was not exactly how to measure prop shaft high so I looked at two ways. First, leveled the pad with 24inch level. Then flywheel ring gear with torpedo level. Then just for grins the cavitations plate. Looks plate is right on with the flywheel so no more removing the hood. Placed a 4 foot level between the trailer and pad with

Bobalouie

To measure the propshaft height:

1. Make sure your floor is level. If not, you can make a level surface using 2x4's and shims that you will measure to.
2. Level your pad with a 24 or 48" level, but be sure that the end of the level is about 6" in front of the back edge of the pad. Otherwise the lip will effect your level.
3. Take the prop off and level the propshaft with the engine trim. I use a 8" magnetic level.
4. Measure perpendicular to the ground from the middle of the propshaft to the floor.
5. Measure perpendicular to the ground from 6" in front of the back edge of the pad to the floor.
6. Subtract the two.

Last edited:

shockwave

Man, What a difference one inch makes!
The boat still has a great hole shot and the handling is so much better!
Tomorrow I'll be back in the garage measuring the high.
Don't think I'll make any more changes tomorrow.
The boat is so easy to drive it might be a good place for me to learn some more about flying this rig.
Thanks for all the help and details about properly measuring prop shaft high.
John

bringit

AND i cant use a computer.heeeee heeee i was kidding with f2008 anyway.

bringit

I WAS HOPEING U WOULD FIND THAT FUNNY,oh since u installed the extra training wheels.heee hee heee!

kornvb

had 2002 with 225 omc, motor was set at 1/8 below pad ran a 27 and 29 srx with a bobs lower unit. boat would run in the low 90s with a light load. im pretty sure it did not have solid motor mounts i think the omc solid mounts are pricey!

shockwave

Guys, We are making real progress on this set up. Made it to 82 this morning and the boat felt pretty good. It starts to chine I steer left then the process starts over again. Looks like there is still much more boat there than I am a driver.
The boat sits level at rest with me in the seat. I now have the prop shaft 1/4 inch below pad still at 6 inches of set back.
Now here is the strange part. With the motor trimmed all the way in the boat wants to run on the port chine. The boat like it wants to turn left. As I trim up the boat levels and runs great Is that normal? There is a vibrationat speeds greater than 72. I am not sure but I think it might be the prop surfacing and causing the vibration. I have never ran a surfacing prop or ben in a that ran one so this is all new to me
Thanks john

allisonracer

first i would make sure you have a bobs cone if you are gonna run the motor close to level. We ran An omc and it would blow out at 90mph everytime. Sent it to bobs and it never happened again. when the motor is trimmed all the way in it is common for the boat to roll one way or another(usually have it trimmed slightly out inless turning or taking-off). 6inch offset is exceptable for omc but these boats perform(more top end/ carry the bow better) best w/ 10" of set back. In the 70's mph the boat will handle the worst mostlikely but after that the handling should get better. take it slow and as the left side come up cut towards it. All you need is seat time and you"ll be a pro. Just make sure if you get in over your head not to chop the throttle all at once b/c thats what causes the "spin outs" (bat turn)

mike

allisonracer

also the srx props seem to have more torque in the wheel and make the boat handle a little worse from my experience even more than a chopper. you could try a 4 blade or i hear a merc et prop in a good handling prop. May make the learning process easier

john w

I have the same set up except i have 4" set back, 20" mid on new bob nosecone ally torque tab 225 omc power head. put a 28 chopper on it and you will never look back. They run great, a lot better than a srx. If you send the srx to Dah, spend $200 it should run pretty good. I am running a stock 28 chopper 2 at 1/4" below the pad @ 6400 rpms at 90 mph feels great with set up. Its still not a merc though.

Last edited:

shockwave

The torque of the SRX is an issue. I did not think the chopper would be that much better so I never gave it a try. I have a 26 chopper on the shelf. Tomorrow it will be on the boat. I know it is a little short on pitch but maybe that will keep me safe (for now).:help
Thanks for all the help. The boat is getting better every time I go to the river.
John

john w

The chopper will have more bow lift, then the SRX. Which means you should not have to trim as high with the chopper. If you can find a 30 small ear chopper, that just might be the ticket for top end speed. Be safe.

shockwave

Good news today!
First off got back on the river this morning. Water was smooth as glass. Prop shaft was 1/2 under pad, still at 6inch set back, prop was a 27 renegade. wow did it run great! I think I have finaly found the traing whell I was looking for. Poped up like a cork and easy to drive all the way up to 85. The bigest problem was my partener squirming around in the passenger seat. Whenever he would lean his 220 to the right to check the gps the boat would try to roll off the pad.
I think I will leave it alone for a bit. I do have the 30 chopper on the way but I want to build some more confidence. Then I might try a little more speed.
Once again thanks for all the help.