XB03 W/225PM

Trent Naquin

New to me first Allison. Came set up center steer 12" offset 1" above pad 4 blade 28p un identifiable prop. I'm changing it back to side steer fishing set up. Ordered the skid planner from Mr Bill as well as a Trophy Plus 26 as per his recommendations. Set it back to level with the pad while testing with a Tempest 25 waiting on the ordered parts to come in. Should I change the plate to a CMC 10" hydro with gauge or stick with the manual?

GotMyAlly

Whichever you go with, I'd drop the motor down when you start testing new props. Very few will run 1" above the pad (unless somebody has sanded the lip off of your boat).

scj

1" is too high. Start at even with pad.
IMO, you don't need the hydraulic plate on the 2003. Once it's set, you'll never need to move it unless you like experimenting with different props. A trophy needs a little cup added to carry the boat properly.

Trent Naquin

1" is too high. Start at even with pad.
IMO, you don't need the hydraulic plate on the 2003. Once it's set, you'll never need to move it unless you like experimenting with different props. A trophy needs a little cup added to carry the boat properly.

merc106

I've had acouple of that setup current one 14.5" setback pad worked to .025",1.25" above pad. Hydraulic plate is not needed on this boat extra weight effects these boats a lot and if you spend the time and set it up correctly you would never use it. Trophy runs pretty good, pro et labbed run good, pro max and et's all are good props. Hydros also for some. Mid 90's loaded to fish with the boat basically driving itself are pretty easy but understand SETUP is KEY. Have fun and be safe.

Trent Naquin

I've had acouple of that setup current one 14.5" setback pad worked to .025",1.25" above pad. Hydraulic plate is not needed on this boat extra weight effects these boats a lot and if you spend the time and set it up correctly you would never use it. Trophy runs pretty good, pro et labbed run good, pro max and et's all are good props. Hydros also for some. Mid 90's loaded to fish with the boat basically driving itself are pretty easy but understand SETUP is KEY. Have fun and be safe.
Thanks

Waterboy334

Like this thread. I have an xb2003 also and can't drive the darn thing. After 60 becomes a handful. I have a hydraulic jackplate and wondered if I should take it off. I have a total of 14"s set back with a 225 promax and titus lower.

Trent Naquin

2 hours of seat time with the Trophy Plus 26 getting better with more seat time. Presently running it 1/4" above the pad steady 62 at 5100. It is definitely different then those glitter barges I drove. She really wants to get all the way up on the pad but I need more seat time to let it air out.

bassracr

Like this thread. I have an xb2003 also and can't drive the darn thing. After 60 becomes a handful. I have a hydraulic jackplate and wondered if I should take it off. I have a total of 14"s set back with a 225 promax and titus lower.
if I may make a suggestion, I would suggest using the search tool here on steering setup ,and setting your prop shaft height in relationship with the pad. get out the level and tape measure and put your propshaft centerline 1/4 below to even . then leave it alone until you get used to driving it, make sure your steering is all proper with adjustments proper and smooth and not stiff. it all has to be proper to be able to drive ,then its all up to you. if someone on here is close maybe you could ask for someone to check out your setup and give you some help. most folk on here are very helpful. good luck !

Trent Naquin

if I may make a suggestion, I would suggest using the search tool here on steering setup ,and setting your prop shaft height in relationship with the pad. get out the level and tape measure and put your propshaft centerline 1/4 below to even . then leave it alone until you get used to driving it, make sure your steering is all proper with adjustments proper and smooth and not stiff. it all has to be proper to be able to drive ,then its all up to you. if someone on here is close maybe you could ask for someone to check out your setup and give you some help. most folk on here are very helpful. good luck !
Most definitely, My son in law is a DSRA racer and has been guiding me on the driving part. He has a Hydrastream Venom and is used to going over 100. I was just looking for ideas on best all around set up for this rig and to save hours of time testing props. Thanks

xb03fs

Have your son in law spend a day with you on the water. Should shorten the learning curve. 26 trophy should get to the limiter in mid to upper 80's

scj

Waterboy, You have all the same set up as I had on my 2003 except I had a SportMaster gearcase. My boat handled excellent but it took me time to figure out how to drive an Allison. Listen to what the others are saying and set the jack plate to even with the pad and leave it there until you get the hang of it. Once you figure out the timing of catching the boat going from side to side, you'll look back and wonder what took you so long.
I personally do not like a stock Trophy as they do not carry the boat very well. A stock ProMax drives exceptionally well right out of the box on an 03.