xb-2003 reserve tank set up

brotherxb03

The tank is 18" high to the top of the filler cap 14" wide and 9and1/8 front to back. The pan it sets in is 10and1/4 by 14 and 1/2 wide. I have to measure the amount it's 7 or 8 gallons. I measured it holds 7 gallons with a little expansion room. It would make a good fuel cell for a drag boat also.

brotherxb03

It has a switching valve that bolts to the front lip on the rear compartment. I have a electric fuel pump on my mota,so one port went to it and the other ports each to a fuel tank.

Speedman

so if you have a hose going to each tank from the fule pump, why do you need the switching valve? Will I have to but an electric fuel pump? I guess I could and just pump the gas from the Aux to the main? boat is in storage as the motor is being rebuilt, haven;t had a chance to measure it yet, will try today or tomorrow, thanks, Gary

brotherxb03

No you don't need a electric pump,that's just how I had it set up. The 2 suction port's go,one each to your main fuel tank and one to the 7-gallon reserve tank. The switching valve controll's the flow path on the suction line to the tank you select. If you didn't have the valve it would pull from both tanks at the same time till the smaller tank would suck air and your fuel pump loose prime.

Speedman

I think I got it

so there is one line going to your engine that has a split in it, controlled to the switching valve. when you turn the valve it goes to the reserve tank, right? so what happens when you are running the big tank and you run out of fuel going 90? or if you start with the 8 gal tank and run out, will the lack of fuel hurt your engine or will it just shut off like a lawnmower does? sorry for all the questions. If I used it as a back up in tourney situations at some point I would want to use the reserve tank just to keep the gas fresh, but don''t want to hurt the motor if I should run out. Thanks Gary

brotherxb03

If you run out of fuel at 90 it's going to smoke yout motor and send you on a ride no matter what tank you have. Grtting back to the reserve tk your main tank operates the same way when you have the valve position set to suck from it and of course you know it has a gas gauge. When you switch the valve to the reserve tank it shuts off the main tank and suck's on the reserve only which has no fuel gauge. There fore no fuel gauge is the only draw back to the reserve set up. It increased my fuel capacity from 30 gallons to 37 on my xb03,which I don't need so I took it out and reset up to run 2-105 batteries in front of the main tank. I have a 2.5 carb motor and on evening fishing trips only burn about 9 gallons. It is best to use the reserve tank either before or after you use the main tank due to no gas gauge to monitor. It is semi transparent so you can see the gas level in it. It's benefit is it gives you 7 gallons more gas capacity. If can run on the main tank till it get's almost mty then open up the back hatch and switch the valve and run back to the lanch on your reserve.