XB 2003- 15 or 20 inch mid

J Smith

Probationary User
Which mid would be best suited for XB2003, 15 or 20 inch? Advantages/disadvantages of both?

gmorgan

There have been lots of both mounted. I don’t remember any complaints either way.

John_Richied

20" VS 15" offshore - I would go 20" without a doubt...

• Less likely to dunk your engine.
  • Trim pump and oil hoses are mounted in your exterior mid bracket (not in your boat interior compartment taking room and if there is an oil leak...)
  • Lighter
  • If I remember right the older style steering linkage had more room too.
Yes the 15" will work fine if you get one and after you get use to driving your Allison when you shutdown you will get use to just blipping the throttle and there wil be no backwash or dunking.

aj06bolt12r

Ive had both... I actually prefer 20".. Keeps the powerhead out of the water when coming off of plane... Keeps offshore exhaust out of the water at idle speed...

That said Im currently running a 16" mid. :)

J Smith

Probationary User
Ended up going with a 20" mainly because it was the most affordable at the moment. As far as engine height adjustment, should my prop shaft be around 1/2 " below the pad?

aj06bolt12r

Ended up going with a 20" mainly because it was the most affordable at the moment. As far as engine height adjustment, should my prop shaft be around 1/2 " below the pad?
Assuming you are running something close to 14" of setback and assuming you have a sportmaster lower unit or a coned 200 case with low water pickup and assuming the lip on the pad has not been removed or reduced... Yes 1/2" to 1/4" below pad is generally a good place to start.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Everyone says start below the pad but they all drive a lot better even or just a hair above the pad.