Xb 2002 set up

chad202

Msharp, it's not just about numbers. For me, its about feeling. I like a certain feeling in my boat.

msharp

Msharp, it's not just about numbers. For me, its about feeling. I like a certain feeling in my boat.
Chad im happy that your happy with your setup. To each his own ! . But to give advice that could cause injury or worse........ I dont think thats cool . especially to the less experienced.Too many factors come in to play for that stuff . SAFTY is # 1 . Not saying no mod's can be done . But there is alot of variables will change the final finish.

chad202

You're right, safety is #1. Of all the boats out there which one hooks the most? They just happen to have a lip.
I'm not forcing anyone to modify their lip. Just giving my advise and opinion which is what everyone else is doing. And I would never give advise if I thought it would hurt people.
Why when darris has a boat to blueprint the pad he wants to know what HP is going on it? He adjust the lip height for given HP.

Last edited:

catfish123

My 03 has "spun" with a full .090" lip and with a reduced lip............these boats just aren't safe.................LOL

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Which spin the most? I know a guy out west that spun his GS more than once. Bob's 03 has been 'around' a couple times. Are the 03's more prone that the 02's?

Larry D

been very lucky, almost 20 years driving all kinds of alley's. never hooked one or blew one over. drove them with lips and with out. i didn't like the way they drove with out the lip but thats me. to each his own, i think set up is all the key but what the hell i know never been as fast as you guys. later Larry D

suicidealli

The GS doesn't like to go over a 100. It has a lot of down force on the bow. Darris told me how much down force it has at a 100. I cant remember, but i couldn't believe it.. The 03 is not as aerodynamic. the right side of the dash has that hump, and the other side he said the amount of air that goes on that side was astronomical.. Hard to keep things balanced... Just what darris told me a few years ago.

Dave Hensley

The aero on the boat is way more significant than most people imagine at 90+. i remember running a XTB with Jim Barnes present. We had a worn out 260 on it and I was tryin to run 100. had about 50 lbs of ballast in the front of the rod locker which of course is on the left. Jim had a 29 Hoss Hyperdrive an we bolted that on it and it ran around 96-97. Never got to the dollar mark but he suggested takin the windshield off. Did that and was able to take the weight of the left side and it drove perfect. If the motor had been sharp at all we could have ran 100+ I believe. Said all that to say just how much does that big old console on a 2003 load up the boat? I know at about 85 that boat begs for trim to overcome the down force the console/ windshield is making. I love it when it finally pops up when you get enough trim in it to overcome the aero. Sounds like the water hitting the bottom moves back 4 feet.

chad202

To address the question: you should not be close to blowout running even with 12" of setback. However ur gear case may be finally surfacing at that speed. That's one reason I like running high, the gear case surfaces early and you don't feel it. It's a smoother transition.

suicidealli

To address the question: you should not be close to blowout running even with 12" of setback. However ur gear case may be finally surfacing at that speed. That's one reason I like running high, the gear case surfaces early and you don't feel it. It's a smoother transition.

I agree, but the last thing you want is to have somebody hook from a mistake because somebody didn't measure correctly, or didn't know all the pieces of the puzzle..JMO. Better to be safe them sorry..

Roy

hack02

Sounds like its just running out of rpm, its stopped pulling therefor the front wants to drop over. When it stops pulling then your dependent on aero lift and setback weight distribution to hold the bow up. I've seen a lot of Allison's do a nose wiggle then want to fall over towards the front when this happens. As was said, it sounds like its running pretty darn good, probably cleaner than you think. One clue is its not wanting to fall off to the left or right.
I think the 02's are one of the most forgiving hulls. If you compare the 03's have the pad tucked way farther forward. If the front drops the hull rocks forward and picks the back up quicker because of this relation. That's the big difference in my opinion. That's when things get ugly especially when the propshaft is run higher than the norm.
If the skeg stays in the water most of the time these things will go straight.