WTB - side shifter

Blue Gray in PA

Someone at the Rally last year told me they might know someone wanting to sell a shifter. I'm looking for the single straight pole type with the top button lockout that would mount on the side like my current Merc shifter. I'm not sure exactly what they're called but if you know, please let me know if you have one to sell or where to buy them new. Thanks!

Blue Gray in PA

Well that's what I'm looking for but they say it will not work with a Mercury outboard cable since there is no outside jacket mounting point. I went to the cable accessory section and it doesn't look like they make a bracket for this option but I'll have to call on Monday to check. If anyone knows for sure if:
1) Do they make a bracket for outboard cable use?
2) Is the mounting pattern the same as a Merc side console mount?

Blue Gray in PA

Sounds like a good way to make it work. Thanks Mtolleyand Gfinch - hopefully I'll have it figured out and installed before the Rally..unless someone has one for sale and wants to deliver it there.

GFinch

I'M cheep, this is what I did.
The boat was set up for a merc with a merc control unit. I have OMCeaze and wanted just the shifter w/start interrupt. So made the cover panel mounted the shifter and fastened the Morse type cable to the boat. Worked fine.
Changes.
The newest engine's fuel system wouldn't allow the shift cable to enter and pulls from the front. Had to put a longer cable that wraps around the engine and comes from the back and pushes. Also this cable had to be a Merc type cable so it could mount under the cowl with a bolt holding it in place.
The shifter end of the Merc cable has the plastic cable holder and I made this to hold it. Pic.
I think the cable mounting bracket shown in the catalog could be made to work to hold the Merc cable by doing like I did and less Mickey Mouse looking.

Attachments

Blue Gray in PA

Thanks for the pics and good ideas Gary. I wasn't sure how big the opening behind the current cover is and it looks pretty large. I'm guessing I'll have to do likewise and assemble part from the front and part from the backside. A nice cover plate on the outside and then an arm on the backside to hold the cable using the longer bolts coming from the shifter itself looks like the best way to go. I'll have to call Eddies and Rex tomorrow and see what is included, can be purchased, etc. and maybe buy one soon in preparation for getting mine out of storage. I've got a lot of projects to make happen before we leave for TN so advance planning will be important.

Blue Gray in PA

I left them a voicemail and am curious about their cost, mounting hole locations, color choices if any, etc. Do you recall what the price was for a 400SFT? Are they only available in natural finish? It almost looks like the holes would match up with where I think they are on my current Morse shifter but I'm not positive about that. I also assume there is an arm behind the shifter to hold the cable that is not mounted in the photo shown. Looks like a nice unit but still have lots of questions before I drop any cash...

white03

Call Jim (I think that's his name) at In-Control, he may give you a good deal, but $315 at Diamond Marine is not bad.

I think it will mount in the existing holes as well...and in a month or so I'll tell you for sure after I mount mine.

Only the brushed aluminum finish

from examining it after I got it, I can assure you this is not a mickey mouse shifter. This baby is a very well built precision jewel.

But since I have not mounted it yet I went and took some pics of it for you...front ...back and top

Attachments

Blue Gray in PA

Thaks for the good photos and the PM Bill. Now that I can see what this one is like, I can check mine when it comes out of storage and make a decision. It may be a while before I get one but it does look nice.

white03

One thing I forgot to say is that initially started out looking for a annodized billet shifter. The more I read what others had to say about shifters the more I realized that to mount a red billet shifter like I thought I wanted the more I realized I would have to be a mechanical engineer to get them to work. I wanted something simple that all I had to do was bolt it up and attach a cable. And I wanted a high quality shifter that looked good. As I read and researched I keep seeing mentions of In-Control so finally, after deciding I was not going to get a red shifter, I started researching In-Control shifters. Al I ever found that people had to say about it was how well built and quality the shifter was. I never read a bad word on them. I suggest you go to S&F where there are numerous posts on different shifters, do a seach, and check it out yourself. I know I will be happy with it after I mount it, even though truthfully I did not start out wanting to pay $300 for a shifter.

Bill