Will this work on SS 2000?

St

I really don't like the seastar (way to sloppy in my opinion) and think this could be a good alternative.

Please let me hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

aeneas

I am also thinking of going side plate hydraulic... My dual cable has seized up on me and the boat is virtually un-driveable. I am pondering if to change to the cables I bought of Allison Boats or just go hydraulic? Your steering is not the SeaStar Pro Allison 6345 cylinder, is it?

A side plate steering would feel safer as one is not dependent upon just the one bolt at the steering ram, a double cylinder side plate steering would be optimal as it can handle even a hose breakage... Perhaps we should talk to SEM RaceTech and see how much they want for equipping the only two Allisons in the country? ;)

michael j giesler

Where did this comp come from looks nice i would only use race cable pulley steering or merc ride guide i don't trust hydsteering in high performance Allison that's my opinion

St

Aenas,

No, I only have the regular version of the pro, 5345.

What bothers me about the Seastar steering, is that it's impossible to get the steering tight. No matter how you bleed the system (believe me I know how to do i properly and have done it over 50 times over the years), there will be 3-4 mm play back at the engine when grabbing the gear case and pulling it to the right and left. Maybe this is something that a 6345 would fix? Anyhow, I think this type of play is unacceptable in a high performance steering.

Maybe we should make a call to Mr Bengtsson and ask for a some High Speed Allison discount. ;) My friend Jörgen here in Umeå runs with the SEM on his Hydrolift R20. It's truly awesome!

Michael:

I bought my boat in Key West three years ago from a guy on Screamandfly. It's really nice and runs fantastic.

Jon

Supporting Member
I'm thinking of getting one. A lot of guys like them. Surely you can get the slop worked out.

aeneas

I spoke to SEM RaceTech and asked for a price on the double cylinder (ram?) steering: $3,600. the kit includes 2 cylinders, 2 wing plates, 1 hose hub, 6 hoses (2 between the pump and the hub - 4 from the hub to the cylinders), 1 pump, bolts and nuts and fluid. It is complete except for a steering wheel. I told him I would call back next week. Perhaps we can get that down a bit if we are two..? I am not sure I am willing to put that money up right now having just bought a rifle and building on my summer house...

The SeaStar cylinder you have is not meant for high speeds and surface propellers, it can't hold the forces. I had one before on my 17' boat with the 200xs and it would seize up at acceleration so I would have to let up and break it loose again, also it used to slip a bit so I had to change grips all the time. On that note I did notice that there is a new Seastar Pro kit with the correct 6345 cylinder. Looks new with new graphics. Since Darris was involved in developing the 6345 I am sure it will hold... I just thought not using the tiller would perhaps be safer..?

I see that IMCO offers a one cylinder wing plate hydraulic steering at $1,565. https://www.imcomarine.com/nvcatalog/imco_catalog.pdf page 58. How is IMCO for quality?

Last edited:

St

Nils, we may be four people wanting to buy a complete sem-steering: You, me, Mattstar and Cewan (from the swedish boatingforums). That should give us some momentum in the negotiation with Svenne, don't you think? :)

St

racerx:

That's correct, it's a 2005 15" drag mid

aeneas

Nils, we may be four people wanting to buy a complete sem-steering: You, me, Mattstar and Cewan (from the swedish boatingforums). That should give us some momentum in the negotiation with Svenne, don't you think? :)
Hej Oscar, we can always try.

racerx

I bought your drag motor complete and that's the mid that came off it

Reactions: St