Will a Lowrance Elite 7 HDI shoot thru the hull ok?

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thinking about upgrading the depth finder/GPS. Some good sales on the Elite 7 hdi coming up. I am not big into the electronics, just want something dependable and and reasonably priced. I don't fish enuff to justify one of the good ones for a couple grand.

Allyfishing

Dave, the Elite 7 comes with an HDI transducer which is meant to mount on the outside of the hull. That's what is so unique about the Elite series is they already have downscan capabilities built-in in addition to the traditional 2d sonar.

You could shoot it thru the hull, of course, but that would be a waste of a good transducer.

YOu could mount the HDI transducer on your TM and buy a shoot thru ducer to epoxy in the hull and buy a switch box that the 2 transducers would plug into. That way if you mounted the elite head unit on a ram mount you could spin it around while fishing up front and switch it to the TM ducer and fish. Or better yet, mount it up front on a ram so you can see it from the drivers seat for mapping and depth while you're driving.

RoseXB03

I mounted mine on the jackplate as close to the hull as I could. This is for the Elite 5 and on a 2003 with 14" jackplate. I was worried about propwash but dont have any trouble at low speed. I bought the little L bracket at Lowes.

Attachments

BigRedAlli

I was inquiring on line weather or not the hummingbird helix 5 si would shoot thru the hull. This is the response I got.
Humminbird Helix 5 DI Fishfinder.

Your Answer

Yes, there is a Plastic thru hull transducer available that would require you to drill a 1 inch hole in the boat or you can use the standard transducer that will shoot thru a single layer fibger glass hull boat, using a two part, slow cure epoxy.

had to laugh. .. ain't no way I'm drilling a hole in the bottom of my boat... lol

Last edited:

GotMyAlly

Most any will shoot thru the hull. The imaging just won't work effectively, but the traditional downward facing sonar will shoot thru the hull fine. Just epoxy it in.