why do people prefer single axle trailers?

pcrussell50

i was just reading the "wanted to buy" section and a guy looking for an xb03 _specifically_ wanted a single axle trailer. why?

aren't you better off with dual axles from a safety/handling perspective?

all my boats so far are small, [16' or smaller] and obviously have single axle trailers, but when you start getting into bass boat sizes, i'm not sure what the continued advantage is of single axle.

then again, i'm new to boating and towing, so maybe i'm missing something.

when i go shopping for an xb03, i would like to know the pros and cons of both choices.

-peter

Bobalouie

The tandem trailers are harder to maneuver by hand when positioning in your garage or whatever. I think most trailer axles are rated at 3500#, and when you are talking about a lightweight Allison, you dont really need the extra axle unless you want it for looks, or if you are towing long distances often. It may be more necessary on a barge like a Ranger or Champion where the hull alone is wieghing in at 1200+ lbs and carrying a 4 stroke or 3.0L engine on the back.

I have a single axle under mine, and it tows like a dream.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
The tandem trailers are harder to maneuver by hand when positioning in your garage or whatever. I think most trailer axles are rated at 3500#, and when you are talking about a lightweight Allison, you dont really need the extra axle unless you want it for looks, or if you are towing long distances often. It may be more necessary on a barge like a Ranger or Champion where the hull alone is wieghing in at 1200+ lbs and carrying a 4 stroke or 3.0L engine on the back.

I have a single axle under mine, and it tows like a dream.
This is so true. I can to push my bigger heavier Checkmate anywhere I want. The 2003 on a dual axle trailer is a bear to turn just a little bit in the garage by hand.

Texan

Single axle for sure. The only time I've seen where the tandem came in handy with an Allison was when my buddy got his darn near broke in two from getting run over. He got pulled in and we got the trailer in the water and the boat on the trailer before the brand new 280 short shaft went under water. With the extra axle the trailer held the weight as we pulled it out and as it drained. But for my XB03, it came with a single axle and it is easy to move by hand in and out of my storage facility. Too, when it comes time to replace the tires, you only need two instead of four.

GotMyAlly

I have to swing my boat diagonal across my garage to fit. My 03 on a single axle was easy to push around. I could grab the jack handle, pull it out of the garage, up the driveway, etc. Or unhook it anywhere in the driveway, put is around the corner and into the garage without much trouble. With my 21 on the tandem, there ain't no way you're going to push it far or swing it. I can push it forward/backward a little if it's on flat ground, but you aren't gonna push a tandem over the lip going into the garage. And you can't swing the tongue. I had to get a pair of go-jacks to throw under the front wheels so I can move mine around the garage. Takes a few extra minutes to put my boat up and get it out because of those jacks.........

northGa

I like it because I move the boat and trailer to the truck, not the truck to the trailer

Last edited:

Alli-drenaline Rush

The tandem trailers are harder to maneuver by hand when positioning in your garage or whatever. I think most trailer axles are rated at 3500#, and when you are talking about a lightweight Allison, you dont really need the extra axle unless you want it for looks, or if you are towing long distances often. It may be more necessary on a barge like a Ranger or Champion where the hull alone is wieghing in at 1200+ lbs and carrying a 4 stroke or 3.0L engine on the back.I have a single axle under mine, and it tows like a dream.
I currently own one of those "barges" :shock: (a Ranger 521 with a 250XS) and the bare hull weighs in at about 1,875 lbs +/- 25 lbs.... add in an incremental 100 lbs for a 3.0 L motor over a 2.5, and 100 lbs extra for additional fuel, and you're talking almost 1,000 lbs difference between the barge and the XB2003.....

HOWEVER, I like the dual axle trailer because 1) if a tire blows out at speed I don't worry about loss of trailer stability like I might on a single-axle set-up. 2) If a tire blows you are not stranded on a dual-axle setup.... you can still limp home on three tires if need be, even towing a "barge." Also, I would much rather limp to a safe place to change the tire than risk changing it on the freeway with all of the idiot drivers out there.....

Last edited:

Alli-drenaline Rush

Having pondered the previous post, I must also write that I saw the aftermath of a bass club buddy's accident this last year on a trip back from a Lake Palestine club tournament when he lost control of his trailer in a heavy rainstorm....... he had a 1900 lb Ranger 521 hull and a 500 lb motor on a dual-axle trailer...... insurance company totalled the boat out..... driver and tow vehicle were unaffected, but he nonetheless lost a good fishing platform....

So then one must ask the question of whether a dual-axle trailer on a very light boat will promote hydroplaning of the trailer in adverse weather..... quite possible!

I get the sense that I am starting to sound like a lawyer who is trained to argue 5 sides of every issue!!!!

So the net result of this ranting is advice to do what you want..... there is no "one right answer for all situations." There are benefits and cautions for both setups.... in the end take the advice of your friends on the board and make your own decision...... and now that you know a little more around one of the possible scenarios related to trailer towing, just be careful, be aware and use good judgment in all driving / towing conditions.......

Richard

Last edited:

patches

For me it's because like others said I have to put my boat in the garage diagonally. If my next boat has tandem's I'll figure out how to lift one axle off the ground to be able swing it in

Texas Dear

I have an XB2003 with a 280 on a tandom axle trailer. I also put my boat in the garage diagonally. I get it as close as possible with the truck and do the rest by hand. It takes alittle muscle is all. It can be done.

allison xtb

I have a tandem and to turn it or roll it around just screw the tong jack all the way up. It takes the weight of the front wheels and makes it a lot easer.

citabriatom

I'm the first to say that a single axle is easier to deal with in the garage(and I hated my tandem at first).But I live on a sometimes rough dirt road and with the road maintenance budgets being cut these days,found out that the two axle trailers give the boat a MUCH smoother ride(and even better with torsion axles).Think about hitting a deep pothole with the single and how much less impact there is with the double.

Allyfishing

For all out towing, safety, ease of trailering, the fact of having 3 extras if ya get a flat etc. etc. of all the positive feedback but for me the biggest pain in the arse was maneuvering the extra axle. I have to make a 90 degree turn around a beam to store my rig. I think what Neal (gotmyally) was referring to were these:

http://www.zendextool.com/gojak/gojak-5000.html.

I bought a pair after talking to Duane (champ198) shortly after buying my rig and thank goodness. If you need to move your tandem axle trailer around much you will really appreciate these.

suicidealli

i have one of each.. the tandom is so nice going down the highway.. it tows better, and smoother..... i hate it tho.... sucks putting it in the garge. it has to go diagonal. it has a drag boat on it. so not much weight.. i have to get the boat perfect to get the door shut, and still be able to walk by it... the single axle towes good, but nas as good. so easy to move around... a light drag is so fragile the tandom you can walk around on the trailer and lean inside the boat. so it is a lot better on a potatoe chip boat. i prefer the single. 1/2 the tires, and hubs. easier to move.. on a drag i guess the tandom is better, but i hate it......JMO

roy

GotMyAlly

For all out towing, safety, ease of trailering, the fact of having 3 extras if ya get a flat etc. etc. of all the positive feedback but for me the biggest pain in the arse was maneuvering the extra axle. I have to make a 90 degree turn around a beam to store my rig. I think what Neal (gotmyally) was referring to were these:

http://www.zendextool.com/gojak/gojak-5000.html.

I bought a pair after talking to Duane (champ198) shortly after buying my rig and thank goodness. If you need to move your tandem axle trailer around much you will really appreciate these.
Actually I'm too cheap for real GoJacks. I think they're about $500 a pair. I went with the harbor freight version - under $200 for the pair. They work great. All mechanical, no hydraulic cylinder to worry about over time. First time i put mine in the garage when i brought it home, i about broke my back. I had to pick the tongue up high enough to get the weight off the front tires. That was rough enough just doing it once to justify getting the dollys. They're simple to use. Just slide it under the front tire, pump the pedal a few times, and it pushes by hand 'almost' as easy as a single axle. If you had 2 pair, you could push the whole rig sideways.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1250-lb-capacity-mechanical-wheel-dolly-67287.html

Allyfishing

I don't remember what I paid for the gojacks but had I seen those you just described I would have jumped on them. I was desperate at the time!! LOL!!!