Why Allison boats are the best

Blue Gray in PA

I came to Knoxville on business this week and brought my XB2003 with me to take one of my customers for a ride. While I was here, I decided to have a skid planer added to the boat and asked Nancy if they could fit me into their schedule on such short notice. I dropped it off Monday evening - Todd and Darris looked at it and said they could install it with the new mounts they just got in. Todd called me Tuesday morning and said it was done and I could pick it up anytime. When I stopped in Tuesday, Darris explained to me how it worked and why it took so long to develop. We also talked about how the boat sits on the trailer and he showed me how to fix that as well and gave me some plastic to raise the bunks back to where they need to be. During that afternoon, he spent over an hour with me talking about a number of topics related to boats and the future models of Allison's in particular.

Fast forward to Wednesday afternoon when I decided to put the boat in at the Allison launch to try the skid planer for myself. Just as I'm dropping it into the water, Darris shows up and I ask him if he'd like to take it for a ride to see how it works on a 2003. He stops what he's working on and hops in to take it out for about fifteen minutes of evaluation time and explaining to me how it works and the best way to come out of the hole with this new skid planer. When I came back later after riding for a while and some unproductive fishing, Todd stopped down while I was wiping it off to make sure I was satisfied and ask me what I thought of the new planer. Very cool to get to spend so much time with such talented and caring people - you won't get that kind of service from ANY other boat company.

Myron

that is just one of the hundreds of reasons I run Allison's, they have always been very good to me.

RedAllison

YEP theys NONE finer, the man is the genuine article, HAIL TODA CHIEF!!! :beer:

Scott what's your opinion/findings of the difference pre and post planer?
RA

Blue Gray in PA

Very impressive difference - no water over the back deck on quick shutdown and up on plane way faster too with no affect on top speed - the best of all worlds I'd say!

Darth VMAX

Thats cool! Makes ya proud to be in such a close "family"

I wonder if Triton would do that? LOL

whipper

I'm super jealous! Man I would love to have Darris take me for a rip in my Allison. Maybe when I go down to test drive the 24ft GS when its ready.
Sounds like you had a great trip. Did he mention or did ya see the 24ft GS anywere?

RedAllison

With regards too the 24GS, "Darris will release no boat before it's ready to float!"

:rolling eyes:laughing
RA

whipper

With regards too the 24GS, "Darris will release no boat before it's ready to float!"

:rolling eyes:laughing
RA
I noticed the pictures of her are gone from every were. Exept the one I saved on my computer.:big grin I wouldnt want any early releases also. I guess will leave her a surprise since shes going to take 5 years anyway and look far better than the original plug.

Aqua Vicious

Does Allison have universal mounting brackets now? I haven't installed mine yet due to getting custom brackets made. What setup do you have as far as the jackplate and such?

Blue Gray in PA

Sorry it took so long to reply but I've been offline for a few days. Nancy took photos and I will try to get a few posted as well. They just got several sets of the new mounting plates in and they are universal to a point - Darris and Todd realized that my 1997 XB2003 is the later design with a 20 degree transom angle instead of the 18 degree standard so they trimmed the mounts to fit. They will probably have two sets of mounts in the near future but the planer plate is universal except for the length - mine took the longer one even with the Sportmaster GC.

Darris and I spoke about a lot of things and I asked about the 24 footer I saw at the 2007 Rally. He said he's still working on it and his goal is to make it safer for any "newbie" to drive by making it self-correcting. I won't say any more cause it's up to him to let people know what and when but it will be cool. He did say with the swing-away tongue it will fit in the same garage space (length) as a current 21-footer so don't be cutting any holes in your garage walls just yet. Trust in Darris to make it right before it gets released - no matter how long it takes.

I have a 6" Allison fixed jackplate (with option to move it to 8" setback) and a 5-1/2" CMC hydraulic behind that. I plan to adjust the fixed plate to the 8" length as they say the optimum JP setup is 14" setack and I only have 12" right now.

Really cool to have him drive my XB2003. I suggested he could open it up to see what it would do with an more experiencd driver but he said he prefers to get to know a boat for a while before going WOT. I respect and understand that and while we didn't just idle around the cove, we didn't go above about 70 MPH either. First time I rode shotgun in my new boat and it was cool to watch the Master at work.

Last edited: