Which cut should I go with?

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
I have a virgin 24 big ear chopper A-4. There are lots of different ways to cut them. You can cut it to an ET Cut, Allison Cut, Offshore Cut, Hoss Cut, Alabama Cut, Knob Cut, Bullet Cut. There are so many to chose from. Goin on a XB 2003 with a 260.

If you were me what cut would you go with and why? Thanks.

jdb35

I have run an allison cut, Alabama cut chopper, Hoss cut, and am currently running a 28 Offshore cut. I really like the Offshore cut the best simply because of the ease to drive. It has a great hole-shot and midrange, but I feel like I may loose a couple of mph on top-end. I have not checked it with a gps yet so I am not positive. The Offshore also carries a load very well. Just my two cents worth. I hear the ET cut are the fastest props.
Jeff

bringit

in that case i would call performance propeller and speak with those guys they know there props.just a thought,u might have a person in mind already.

Volatile

With a 24P , you are going to be building a drag prop, not a topend prop. Even w/o a limiter, 9,000ish rpm =100mph. The ET or OS is the way to go. If it was a 28 or 30P with a heavier load, then a stock Chopper2 is pretty good actually, or an Offshore. If you had a 28 or 30 with a light load for topend, then an ET again is best. JC's cuts one of the best ET's out there IMO. Usually run a few mph faster than a Mercury ET and definitely better holeshot and mid. The OS will accelerate better. Good wheel to whittle on.

Last edited:

whipper

Not sure if this with every OS from Steve Smith in the 26p From a RE3. I just had a 26 ET uncut and 26OS Cut from DS77. The 26OS I had again not sure if they will all be this way but the one I used was so much quicker than the 26ET I bought it wasn't even a fair comparison. The ET had 2mph on top but the OS was so much faster out of the hole and midrange it was just rediculiously Quick!!! By far the quickest prop I have ever tried on the GS so far. That prop was a very light prop. It really felt light in the hands and was as sharp as razorblade! I like working with Steve on trying new things for my setup. I love how the OS looks and performes. The 28OS I just recieved made from a chopper11 I tested one day and feel it needs a little more cup for my lipless wonder and 1inch pluss prop shaft hights. Steve is working with me to get the prop to work for me. Thats a very inportant factor in any prop. Having someone that gets to know you and realy takes an interest in getting those tweeks for your setup.

I think as important as the prop you choose the person who specializes in that make for tweeks is also a deciding factor in what make and style your chooseing. Todd is well respected for his props and cuts for Hydromotives with several world records to his credit and has a new model out soon. Rich at Leading edge is well known for his work with ET,s most notably a very good drag cut. Steve is moving up the ranks and has produced some impressive results with his OS cut in the drags and top end shoot outs this year with fastest at a Top end Shoot out and many Drag racers working with his cut and winning. Of course there others out there doing great work also for lots of us. Mazco,Hydromotive, Mercury and performance make great props right of the Box. All of these props or should I say any prop worked will do better than a stock prop. Theres really not one that works for every body. You have to keep trying them untill you find what your looking for in a style and cut. Thats how i started viewing this subject. What works on your hull may not work on mine very well.

Volatile

Well put.
I think a modified ET cut or an Offshore are your best choices. The drawback with OS cuts or originals ( I have a 6 of them) > they are all very thin and tend to crack easier. A stock Merc ET will not run with a JC's ET or with an OS either. Again it depends on what you want the prop to do. A 24P will not be your topend wheel in any case. So why not make an OS or a JC's ET out of it . Run it first , so that you can compare. The Hoss and OS are very similar.

Last edited:

suicidealli

steve smith is a great guy to deal with, and knows allisons. i have been to his shop many times! his o/s cut is really good.... i have atleast 3 of them. he has worked atleast a dozen other props for me. he is fair too!!!!!!!!
502-693-3273 tell him roy gave u the info.

Roy

John S

I took the plunge and sent a mint 26p to the Bucknells, and I friggin love it! Told him I was more interested in punch/ acceleration, and that is exactly what I got back. It pulls like a racehorse that owes me money, and carries the bow nice/ runs right at neutral trim perfectly. Ya just cant go wrong with the hydromotive family.

whipper

K-DAWG looks pretty simple were to send your prop now Ill bet.:LMAO: Heck I cant even remember anymore what your Q was. I think it was something like I own an Allison but want another which one is best and what color should i get. :beer:

I was thinking though I really want everyone who replied to sent me there best prop they speech of to try. Im drooling so hard from what ive heard for sugestions that I could try them in the puddle I just created!!

Like the the artist formaly known as always said " you cant try to many props"

I have an idea!! Buy two more stock 26p choppers pick 3 of the above mentioned prop guys and prospective cuts. Tell the prop guys what your doing. Have them cut. When you get all 3 back go to the lake ready to test all 3 back to back. Sell the two that dont do it for you to get your investment back and youll end up with the right prop and cut for you.:wink

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Nope, not confused at all. Getting exactly what I wanted its clear as mud now.........lol Naw, for real all I was wanting to hear were peoples real opinions on the prop they like best and why. Thats what I am getting. Keep the ideas and opinions coming. Thanks.

Ally03 200xs

I spoke with Dave Bostic of Hoss propellers yesterday, he is working on a new prop. Currently his prototype is running 97 gps on a XB2003 w/225.

Just passing along some information...