Which Boat???

Meyers

OK guys, I want your honest opinion of why you would choose between the two boats below? First off let me say that I love to bass fish and I live on the St. John's river just south of Jacksonville, FL. I need a boat that is built for speed when I want it. I fish local tournaments but I do not see myself becoming a pro fisherman fulltime. I have a wife and daughter that love to go out in the boat and fish. I have a son that will turn 1 this month that I am sure he will love boating and fishing as well. Although I do not want to go pro, I do have a serious competiton streak in me so I am very competitive when it comes to tournament fishing.

Last year I made a rash decision based upon my desire to get a new boat and bought a Ranger Z20. It is a great fishing platform but fast she is not...and she drinks gas like an irish girl drinks beer! Plus everyone I talked to said it took rough water like a cadilliac but that is not true. I want a boat that sips gas when cruising and can run with the best of them when I need it. I do not want to start a brand war because I have seen this before and nothing is really accomplished. Like I said, I want a bass boat because I like to fish but I also believe that it needs to be comfortable with my family in it.

So...I want your opinions between the Allison 2+2 and the 21' Bullet.

Thank you for your help.

Bryan

I know some of you guys are on other sites and you might have seen this already but I trust your opinion and know that you will tell me like it is!!!:gasp

ned

A Bullet for a family boat. Your wife will be looking for bullets if you bring that home. Really, I take my wife & child in my ally (XB-2003). She loves it because of wind protection, being able to kick back on the back seat and the whole cockpit is lower reducing the chance of a little one slipping over the edge, a real possibility in a traditional bass rig. If you do any research the Bullet is NOT A FAMILY BOAT

GotMyAlly

If you are interested in family comfort, that seals the deal right there. Nothing is as comfortable for 4 people as that rig.

K.Kiser

The Allison will:

- ride better
- use less fuel
- resale higher
- never rot
- fish as well as any under the sun
- equal in speed to the big Bull
- stay on plane at a slower mph
- better seating arrangement for multiple passengers
- better wind protection

The 21'10" Bullet will:

- likely have more stability at rest
- be easier to drive
- not blow out and hook
- look better, but that's totally subjective
- be much more forgiving to the non serious fast boater

Both are fine boats, but If I didn't think that Allison's didn't edge out every other boat out there then I would'nt own one or be on this board... My Dad has owned a 21" Bullet and loved it.. Between My Dad, Brother and i We have owned 6 Allison's and 2 Bullets and We loved them all but there is only one place at the top of any pyramid... Please don't take this as a Bullet knock, I love'em and will try to own another someday...

boater777777

XB 2003 two bucket seats an incredible wind protection and a bench seat across the back. Can't get much closer to a fish N'Ski. The ride ain't bad either.

allisonriverrat

2+2 hands down. blending family with fishing. what does bullet even have to offer to compare too. either 2+2 or 03 as far as seating is concerned. and well this is an allison board so what other is there? good luck, we know u will make the right choice.lol.

Fishforcash

I like the 2+2 for a family boat and it also will fish serious. I have never drove one but I have rode in one at some serious speed and it rode very well.

I dont think the ProSport lends to a good family boat with small children (I've had one). Its just too hard to get from front to back in a hurry and as a parent your constantly worrying about the little ones in the back or trying to get up front with Dad.

________________________________________________________________________________________

I've owned a 21XDC Bullet and loved it but the cockpit area is somewhat cramped in a fishing situation. You get to your area and both look at each other as to "who goes first". You both dont get up at the same time or your going to get REAL close.:wink

The single console Bullet is more fisherman friendly but at any speed your wife is going to be slapping your shoulder to slow down 10MPH sooner than the XDC or the 2+2 Allison.

________________________________________________________________________________________

As I said on the other board you posted on: It all boils down to personal preference. You need to take your wife out in both and see what she likes. If your family is anything like mine you will need her seal of approval anyway so just get it now.

I'm re-doing a older XTB-21 and I think this is going to be a cool peice when she is done. To me its the best fishing boat Allison ever made.

Last edited:

Crazyoz

Banned
2+2 all the way. You can get all that you want in one boat. It will set 4 people easy and it fishs great too. It will out run any of them if you put the right motor on it. It will take rough water like no other and has been proven to use less gass, they look awsome on the water. It has built in head lights and was built to fish. The bullet 21 is a good boat I want knock it but it dont have 4 seats only 2 with a bench in between. They will run too if you put the right motor on them. They are built for fishing two people and that is it. They will blow out and hook on you, I have done this personally in one. The only thing is you can get the bullet alot cheaper than you can get the 2+2, but the Allison will out last the bullet so get what you pay for. My .02 cents

msethsmile

Funny Guy
I have an o3 set up with bench--fish/ski. Best all around boat I've ever owned. We even take it to the drags. It can be set-up 2+2 seating also. Put a dfi motor on it and you'd have serious mpg. If the wallet can handle a 21--all the better.

john4utvols

I Know its not in your pick, but I would go with the 2003. I have owned one and loved the ride, and the no wind factor will sell this boat to your wife, exspecially with a little one in the boat. You will also save thousands of dollars going with the 2003, the 2+2 is much higher. And that wind shield on the 2003 is not that hard to go around.

Darth VMAX

LOL, I wonder if you ask this on a Bullet site what the answers will be (?)

Kiser's list looks pretty good. If you got a family that likes to play on the water, the Bullet shouldn't even be a consideration. I would rather have a traditional Fish-N-Ski over a traditional bass rig for family use. This is not a bash on Bullet by any means. Go for the Allison, you will love it.

Meyers

LOL, I wonder if you ask this on a Bullet site what the answers will be (?)

Kiser's list looks pretty good. If you got a family that likes to play on the water, the Bullet shouldn't even be a consideration. I would rather have a traditional Fish-N-Ski over a traditional bass rig for family use. This is not a bash on Bullet by any means. Go for the Allison, you will love it.
I have posted this on FastBass and the results are leaning towards the Bullet but many have said that the Ally is the way to go on that board as well.

If you take price out of consideration, it comes down to quality and nothing comes close to what Allison produces. I have been leaning towards the 2+2 for over 7 months and it is just a matter of moving my mistake (mass-produced boat)...besides, if it was all about the pleasure I would get a ski boat or somthing else that you can only ride around in and not fish in.

RedAllison

I see several recommending the XB2003, and IMHO it's perhaps THE BEST "All around Allison" that Darris has ever built. You can drag race it if you want, you can beach race with if you want, you can tournament fish with it if you want, you can play with the family in it if you want...

BUT if you are looking for a Fish/Ski and have decided to jump off the deep end pricewi$e for a 21, then hell I'd recommend the XB21 ProSport/SUB. The console/windshield on those things is like riding in your truck!!! :beer: Plus being a good bit deeper they would be much more "baby friendly" with your lil ones running around.

BUT still, for a boat that is first and foremost gonna be your serious tournament boat with family play being second, then I think you'll be happiest with the XB21 2+2. :gone fishing

LETTER HAPPN CAPPN,
RA

Meyers

BUT still, for a boat that is first and foremost gonna be your serious tournament boat with family play being second, then I think you'll be happiest with the XB21 2+2. :gone fishing
RA...as usual your insight has been helpful. I looked hard at the Prosport model and I have no doubt it is a great boat especially for the family...even Lee admitted to me the other day that the 2+2 was quickly becoming his favorite 21!!!

I want the 2+2 and the bottom line is that I just need to be patient so that I can let my boat sell so I can get the boat I want.

BTW...I already feel apart of the Ally family and I do not even own one yet...I can promise one thing, when I do you can bet I will be at the Rally!:laughing:gasp:laughing

pickwickangler

I have no problem fishing out of the 03 but a guy coming out of a big bass barge probably wouldn't like it. The xb 21 fishes so much better, more room, friendlier storage, alot less rockin when yo partner moves around ect but let one of dem big barges pull along side me out on the river :twisted evil It's alot of give and take with any boat, they aint a perfect one but the xb21 is as close as I have seen and fished out of for a fast fishin boat. Ain't no doubt wich 21 I would get either, tha xb21 prosport :big grin

ally2dextreme

RA...as usual your insight has been helpful. I looked hard at the Prosport model and I have no doubt it is a great boat especially for the family...even Lee admitted to me the other day that the 2+2 was quickly becoming his favorite 21!!!

I want the 2+2 and the bottom line is that I just need to be patient so that I can let my boat sell so I can get the boat I want.

BTW...I already feel apart of the Ally family and I do not even own one yet...I can promise one thing, when I do you can bet I will be at the Rally!:laughing:gasp:laughing
heck come to the rally,just dont bring your current boat lol,that way you can check out all the models and spend a lil time in each before you spend your money,get a tour of the plant..will adopt ya for the week

Texan

I see several recommending the XB2003, and IMHO it's perhaps THE BEST "All around Allison" that Darris has ever built. You can drag race it if you want, you can beach race with if you want, you can tournament fish with it if you want, you can play with the family in it if you want...

BUT if you are looking for a Fish/Ski and have decided to jump off the deep end pricewi$e for a 21, then hell I'd recommend the XB21 ProSport/SUB. The console/windshield on those things is like riding in your truck!!! :beer: Plus being a good bit deeper they would be much more "baby friendly" with your lil ones running around.

LETTER HAPPN CAPPN,
RA
I can't believe you took this long to chime in, Jim!!! LOL

I have a XB03 and love it. I've had the family in it and I can fish with it. Poke around here enough and you'll find a ton of testimonials to prove that you CAN catch fish out of an Allison. Bullets are fine boats, but even the most serious Bullet owner I know will tell you that it isn't the best boat for family time on the lake. If money wasn't in question, I'd have the 21 2+2 like Jim, with a big black motor hanging off the back. I didn't think Darris could design a better boat for all around use 'till I looked closely at Jim's big red barge. But then again, if money wasn't a question, I'd have the 21 in the garage next to the Grand Sport and a 2002 with a light lay up like FlyingButcher has. But the reality is that the $$$ is a question with me, and I've got what I feel is the best all around boat for me and my family. But hear me now....there will be a Grand Sport in my stable in the future. Without a doubt. That will give me my fishing boat exclusively, and possibly the best touring and skiing boat sitting right next to it, not to mention quite possibly one of the sexiest boats on the water.

GFL

I went through a similiar process last fall. I looked hard at Bullet it is a first rate boat with a great ride and fishabililty. When it came down to it I bought a 2003. I think key is you will like either boat but the family will want the Allison. The seating cannot be touched for a family boat. When you add that to all other great things about an Allison you will have your answer
Henry

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Meyer's your in Jacksonville right? I should have the 260 on my boat in a few weeks and if you want I'll come down there or you can come up to the state line and take a ride in mine. I live in Kingsland just north of Jax off of I-95 Bout 20 mileso

Last edited:

RedAllison

heck come to the rally,just dont bring your current boat lol,that way you can check out all the models and spend a lil time in each before you spend your money,get a tour of the plant..will adopt ya for the week
I'll agree with Thomas, NO NEED TO WAIT til you become an A-owner to come too a rally. Load up and COME ON. And don't feel ashamed about bringing your R-word boat either, we'll stop and wait up for you half way through each run! :LMAO: LOL we take ANY AND ALL COMERS at da rally. We've had Bullets, pontoons, Hydrosteams, Norris Crafts, Maradas and a whole host of other boats at our rallies. The ONLY requirement is you come ready for some kickedback fun inda sun.

Seriously tho, if you still haven't bought a boat by June then you really should come up too the rally. Nowhere else on earth do you have a larger selection of A-boats to study, checkout, interact with owners and yes, in every case I've ever seen all you hafta do is bring a lifejacket and ask for a ride. Many of us will even let newbies behind the wheel, so long as you keep it "R-word speeds" so as not to endanger anything. :razz

OH BOY, I just LUV makin more converts!!! :beer:
RA