Where to go from here

fnshrmaster

Well after my 2nd year of owning this boat I feel I'm at its maximum. 97.6 loaded to fish with two people. It kinda leaves you wanting.

Maybe a 02? Who knows , be thankful I have a runner.

It's an addiction for sure

whipper

I feel your pain. Ya almost do need an 02 if not an XR with a drag to quench the thirst. It becomes a little predictable time in time out.:banghead

fnshrmaster

I have a sneaky suspicion an 02 would do for a short fix. It's a case of faster, bigger, better. The American way.

I think I will suffer through the 03, :)

Dave Hensley

Everyone needs a fast one in the garage. The XR2001 is the most economical Allison out there to buy used if you have the garage space to keep it. Mr. Kurt is just bragging because he has the best handling XB2003 on the planet. Period.

Just hung an old wood haulin' 260 on my XR2001 to get that feeling... Squeakin from the Freakin.

fnshrmaster

Everyone needs a fast one in the garage. The XR2001 is the most economical Allison out there to buy used if you have the garage space to keep it. Mr. Kurt is just bragging because he has the best handling XB2003 on the planet. Period.

Just hung an old wood haulin' 260 on my XR2001 to get that feeling... Squeakin from the Freakin.
It came with training wheels Mr.Dave

bec

Loaded to fish with two people 97.6 mph sounds like some great numbers to me with a stock 260.how do ya run unloaded by yourself?

fnshrmaster

I would bet 100 is there, just need more time and tweaking. It drives like its on a rail, I am spoiled. I dont think they all do.

fnshrmaster

Hope to get those numbers on my 280 2003 combo.still working my way up 78 and climbing :embarassed
Take your time, you will get there. I'm on my second year of running this 03. Once you get it you will wonder why you couldn't before, just like a bike when you were a kid.

2Fast2Pass

Where to go from here??? Sounds like you haven't been there yet. Empty that thing out and let it rip :) Just sayin

LakeAnna

Pretty good advice Kurt... Only thing you need is 5 gallons of fuel and whatever keeps her balanced. Might even lean on the box a tad...:big grin
The numbers where mine was set are in that book you have I think...

Run it till it pushes the nose back down and bump it a time a two and... she has to go.

Or just be happy knowing you got some left if you want to go there. Safer that way on you and the equipment.

Dave Hensley

Pretty good advice Kurt... Only thing you need is 5 gallons of fuel and whatever keeps her balanced. Might even lean on the box a tad...:big grin
The numbers where mine was set are in that book you have I think...

Run it till it pushes the nose back down and bump it a time a two and... she has to go.

Or just be happy knowing you got some left if you want to go there. Safer that way on you and the equipment.
I found the 2003 was one of the more difficult boats to "sneak up" on the right amount of trim. Outside of having a mechanical trim gauge and an experienced driver tell you exactly where to go, Chris has the right advice. I think it is the windshield and big console that you have to overcome. At about 80 the aero starts to fight the boat from freeing up. Trim it up until you need a little wheel to balance it at about 60. Stand in the throttle. Unlike other Allison's you should feel the nose start to level back out. That is when you need to ease the trim up more. Depending on the condition of the lip on the pad, the nose will either lift or you will hear the water contact on the hull move back behind you. If you have a sensitive speedometer you can watch rpm's and mph. As long as you are gaining speed with rpm's you are good. If you lose speed and gain rpm's the prop will blow out and you will go for a dead hook ride.

Last edited:

fnshrmaster

I found the 2003 was one of the more difficult boats to "sneak up" on the right amount of trim. Outside of having a mechanical trim gauge and an experienced driver tell you exactly where to go, Chris has the right advice. I think it is the windshield and big console that you have to overcome. At about 80 the aero starts to fight the boat from freeing up. Trim it up until you need a little wheel to balance it at about 60. Stand in the throttle. Unlike other Allison's you should feel the nose start to level back out. That is when you need to ease the trim up more. Depending on the condition of the lip on the pad, the nose will either lift or you will hear the water contact on the hull move back behind you. If you have a sensitive speedometer you can watch rpm's and mph. As long as you are gaining speed with rpm's you are good. If you lose speed and gain rpm's the prop will blow out and you will go for a dead hook ride.
Not interested in the dead hook ride Dave, I am smiling every time I stand on it. I feel beyond the 98 mph things get too risky for the reward. I did have a full livewell and tackle at 98, I am still smiling.

You knew I was buying that boat the minute you stood on it. I remember you said you could see the smile.... SOLD

Dave Hensley

Not interested in the dead hook ride Dave, I am smiling every time I stand on it. I feel beyond the 98 mph things get too risky for the reward. I did have a full livewell and tackle at 98, I am still smiling.

You knew I was buying that boat the minute you stood on it. I remember you said you could see the smile.... SOLD
Not sold. Just placed in a loving home.