where do you mount a transducer

john w

I know allison puts them in the hull behind the allison cover behind the back seat, but do they really work there. Can you run the boat on plane and still get a reading. They don't last very long on the transome, so where is the best place to mount one? How about in bilge area next to the bilge pump? Will it work at any speed?

Thanks

SLOmofo

I know allison puts them in the hull behind the allison cover behind the back seat, but do they really work there. Can you run the boat on plane and still get a reading. They don't last very long on the transome, so where is the best place to mount one? How about in bilge area next to the bilge pump? Will it work at any speed?

Thanks
In the original location for on plane. Works until the boat lifts and the hull is out of the water. If you feel around in there you'll find that they cut and sunk that tray down into the hull=thinner in that spot. I've used both, the tray and one up on the transom out of the way of the water.
They will only work if the water isn't aireated.

Bobalouie

It will not work near the bilge pump. What I think Allison does in the area of the tray is they remove the coring material in that location and just use glass. The soundwaves wont go thru the coring material.

I cant access my tray well enough due to big arm wont fit into the little access point well enough to get any pressure to squeeze out the air bubbles during installation, so I tried doing it back by the bilge pump just in front of the gas tank. Did not work at all, not even a little bit. It read like it reads in air.

I ended up drilling a couple holes in my Jackplate and making a bracket and bolting it up there. Obviously, it doesnt read when on plane, but does just fine when fishing.

bassracr

The tray works well . I have a 129.00 depth finder and I can bounce a half ounce spoon off the bottom in 35 ft .and watch it like it's on tv. As mentioned It works on plane as long as it's not up on The pad. I'm guessing u can be trimmed in a little and it will read to 50 or so

Last edited:

john w

Thanks all, it sounds like the tray is the place for it.