Whats this symptom mean?

whipper

At WOT today it felt like the motor was holding back just a little. Only at WOT. Not very much but on one run it let loose and there was a noticable increase in power? Im thinking reeds,Accelorator pump, or Injectors need flowing? Motor accelerates fine to 7000 rpm then sorta runs flat there but I can feel almost a hint of serging power like it wants to go but doesnt? Like being on the limmiter but im not on the limmiter. Thats at 7500. 96 225pm Brucato acu, 33cc heads premix no other junk that makes beeping sounds.:big grin

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
A little lacking on fuel? How about the diaphragm pump? Good voltage? I know the Brucato computers work goofy when you don't have the correct voltage.

whipper

Ya Ill start with the diaphram pump I havent changed that spring in a couple years now its due. What I should do is just switch to 260 fuel setup and deep6 that vst tank. Thats next. Filtesr were new last month but have some spares I can throw in. Thanks.

BTW if you have a broken reed what happens? Thanks guys.

Yes I was cruising along nice at what I thought was wot then she took of even faster all of a sudden. Thats when I tryed it again and noticed a hesitation not letting me rev up all the way another 500 rpm. i only had a 25 trophy on and ussually can slam past to 7300-7500 no problem. I just thought I was lower in the water as I wasnt trying to string her out untill I noticed. Then I raised the motor to the moon and same.

Last edited:

SLOmofo

James it's just starting to tie up :gasp. JK!

I always suspect plugs, just me. But I don't have me no mercury.
A reed usually gives a poor idle first. Then shoots fuel out the front when it runs.

You were saying something about a motor boat sound on S+F. I took this a few years ago at Jasper. After the race I started to run back to the ramp to get the trailer in the water, when he spun around and did the lap!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYpnsepoaQQ

Attachments

whipper

Ya Gary Thats the sound.:big grin Those OMC,s with Bushs touch are mean sounding to the bone!! I watch your vids all the time just cant get enough of that reving sound they make when ya build speed. Great vid thanks!!

90 5.0

sounds like a similar problem i had a while back , it ended up being deteriorated fuel lines under the cowl, where one of the little ones made a bend it had gotten soft and was closing a little at wot.

might not be your problem but it is what was wrong with mine, found this after changing all of the other fuel lines, filers, rebuilt the fuel pumps and changed the reeds...

chad202

So u made several runs and it did it all runs except one? Was it the first. Run, middle, last run?

ziemer

Does seem as though it's fuel related...check the basics first. The ethanol does a number on fuel lines, so that could easily be the problem.

whipper

So u made several runs and it did it all runs except one? Was it the first. Run, middle, last run?

All runs as far as I noticed. The first couple I wasnt trying to hard to string her out. The water temps were really cold and I couldnt make tempatue very good. I sat and idled around to get the temps up to just over 100 then I went for it a bit more is when i noticed. I tried mashing my foot down as I thought maybe i wasnt all the way. The second one after that I raised the motor to give er more free wheeling and for a split second the revs and power jumped but then decided to stay at 7000. So the feel when she jumped is were it should be all the time. I though maybe to cold as it was 37 deg F and water wasnt much warmer. The lake froze over last night 25f deg hear last night but i see its gone now it was just a skiff. Its 38F right now. Balmy.:big grin I dont know if ill even be able to get out again before its to late now? I might change the plugs as I have lots and also just throw a new spring and diaphram in the little pump. Then if i can go one or two more times call it then. Im planning on a build this winter to the motor or just buying another one. So Ill have lots of time to tinker. Im going fuel pump regulator setup anyway so all the lines and other junk will be new for spring. New pistons and rings bored ect.. If I can afford it maybe a flywheel lighten or just a 2.4 wheel and new reeds also. If the motors lucky SVS.

Last edited:

SLOmofo

Just to complain, were having a heat wave yesterday till tomorrow high 90's. Sat, Sun will drop to mid 80's. I don't think I've ever seen ice on our lakes!
One thought with such low lake water temps is the Water temp sensor rich'ning the fuel mixture way up.

JaySmithRacing

Might try a trip to Brucato for an injector "tune" up ...If an injector starts to fowl it acts like its on a soft limiter, is the prop barrel smooty after these passes ? Also IF you can kill the motor clean safely after a hard failed pass remove #5 plug and look at its coloring it can reveal the problem if fuel related.....

Jay

whipper

Accually Jay thats what it{felt} like injectors not flowing 100% to me. Its been 5 years since they ever were serviced.:big grinAnd yes the snoot is a little heavier than normal havent done a wot kill to check #5 yet but might be a good idea. might run some seafoam threw onece and see if the soft top hardens up at all. I say might because the winter is getting hear and sub zero temps most of the day and work are keeping me off the lake right now. the ice ussually is off by noon now. if we get a decent day on a day off ill give that a try and test before i do anything else. If I put a sping in the little pump it might mask the problem if its injector/s perhaps so Ill use high end fuel and seafom first to test from there back if i get a day out before spring now??. James

zatchmo

Sounds like TPS to me. Is your throttle stop set, so you can't go too far and go out of range high on the TPS? My 280 was doing that for a while. I had to reset my throttle stop, and it was good to go again. I thought the motor was back in break in mode for the longest time.

And broken reeds don't do that, at least mine didn't.

chad202

If it's a promax and not an x, the volts are maxed once past 3K. They do however act up.

suicidealli

make sure the trigger is moving freely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have had them get dirt around them, and not move to full timing. the wires can also bunch up and not move correctly.

roy

whipper

Thanks guys. My TPS isnt hooked up. The ACU takes care of all that for me. Ya throtle,Butterflies all open as well as full timming to 25 being achieved. I might be able to get out next weekend for an hour or two. Had some snow the other day and forcast isnt great just hope there wrong at this point. Im going to run some seafoam threw if I get out and see if that helps. Pretty sure its injector or VST pump. Fuel lines and line filters are pretty new also.