What's the difference Xb 2003 & XB 21 pro sport & XB 21 pro sport SUB?

Merlinwag

Hey guys. So as enthusiast, you're probably wondering what in the world kind of question is that? Well, here's my background. When I was growing up in southern Mississippi on the river, every weekend there was an Allison or two that would fly by and I thought they were the coolest thing on the water. Joined the military, went to Germany, and when I came back 4 years later I had enough money to buy a hotboat. Unfortunately, not enough to buy an Allison. I ended up with a mirage river racer that was already set up with a built merc Bridgeport. It ran good, 104 after having a new round nose prop made for it. Anyways, had the boat about three years, and then got orders back to Europe. After another 3 years, I wound up in California. Since then I have owned a big block Chevy v-drive and a built molar big block Sanger v-drive with a 250hp dual kit nitrous set up. Boats boats easy into to 115mph range... then the drought came. . So now that I've been without a boat for the past three years, and in my early 40's, im reliving that want to buy an Allison, and I think I'm over the v-drive scene. So finally, to my question... what is the difference in these three boats? I love the big center console, side by side seating, with a bench seat behind, AND, the ability to actually use the boat for more than just joy riding. Hopefully you guys can help me figure out what I'm looking at. Are there any other models that have the large center console? I think I remember reading when I was younger, that the xb2003 had a slide steering wheel option so you could sit in the center of the boat? Any info is extremely appreciated! Thanks guys

skewby

prosport and sub are they same boat xb-21's. pro comes with graph at the console and the bow,recessed trolling well, and wired for a trolling motor . sub just graph at the console, no recess, and not wired for a troller. basically one is a fish and ski and one is the family cruising boat. you can add all the stuff to the sub. maybe scj will see this and give more input. i'm thinking his new boat is a sub with trolling motor.2003 is a 20 ft boat. and are great boats as well. 03 will be quicker and maybe a lil faster with the same hp. but is designed for 2.5's. 21's come with 3.0 liters, so more choices of new motors.

NoContact

To elaborate a little more on your questions, the xb21's and such are the newer model Allisons. Like Skewby said, they aren't quite as fast or quick with the same power but they can handle the larger, heavier newer motors. Like you I remember seeing my very first Ally as a young teenager. I was in LOVE!! I knew I wanted to own one someday. I like the edgy, sharp and crisp lines of the older boats design..so sexy! The newer boats are more rounded off, kind of bubbly..but that's just my opinion. They are still beautiful boats, just not quite the same look of the design I fell in love with years ago. The xb03 is the only model of the older boats with the large center console, its no longer in production and I believe it's no longer even listed on the Allison website. The xb2002 is even narrower, lighter, faster, quicker..and there's a sport console option that's not big but not small. Those are the remaining world record holding fastest production bass boats to this day. You can get into an older rig such as these for considerably cheaper than a newer rig. They are smaller, lighter, and not recommended to have larger heavier motors hanging on the back. The merc 2.5 is pretty much the ticket although there are other options which I'm sure you'll learn about as you do more research. Some of the xb03's do have the side slide setup to drive the boat from center when solo. These boats are all about weight distribution and balance. Makes all the difference in the world. But even solo from the side, a little ballast on the left side of the boat will do wonders. The older smaller boats may not be as good of a fishing platform as the newer boats, guess it depends on what you're looking to do. I don't fish lol. I was really wanting a Grandsport when I first started looking for an ally, but decided to go with the xb03 mainly because of the ability to walk across and use the front deck. Works well with the wife and 3 kids. Plus they are basically the same hull with a different top cap, and still look killer! The more familiar I became with the boats, the more I fell in love with all of them lol. The xr2002 is my favorite model. Now that's a hot boat!! :D
Looking forward to seeing what direction you end up going. Sounds like you are very experienced in the hot rod boat scene. Again, good luck and welcome! ;)

Merlinwag

There's a really nice XB 2003 in Lake Havasu for sale with a 2012 etec 150 evinrude on it. not very familiar with evinrudes, only owned Merc's. It is green and white, asking 17k for it (definitely seems fair). wish it had the back seat and another bucket for the passenger seat. Wish I knew more about evinrudes. the bonus is its already out this way (so hard to come across out here).

RoseXB03

There's a really nice XB 2003 in Lake Havasu for sale with a 2012 etec 150 evinrude on it. not very familiar with evinrudes, only owned Merc's. It is green and white, asking 17k for it (definitely seems fair). wish it had the back seat and another bucket for the passenger seat. Wish I knew more about evinrudes. the bonus is its already out this way (so hard to come across out here).
Real nice blue and white 2003 with a clean 280 out your way. I think its on here somewhere.

Merlinwag

Also, thanks for all the info. Hey "NoContact" I was the exact same way. my dad use to bring me by crown leisure marine in D'Ibervile, Ms just to look all the Allisons... that was his selling point to try to get me to go to college. "become a doctor and you can buy both of us an Allison" haha. I was totally in love with the XB2002 that would frequent our local sand bar on the river, and have always loved the lines. now that you guys have helped me out, I saw a xb2002 with the larger console. that's pretty sharp too. still think I like the big console on the xb2003 with side by seating a little better. and the xb21 prosport is probably a little out of my price range at this point. appreciate all the help and info, it will go a long way in helping me find the boat im after.

Merlinwag

Believe it or not, the 02 actually has more cockpit space than 03 measured in square inches. 03 has wider rear seat but less rear legroom. I discovered this as the kids got older with longer legs.
I do like the looks of the 02 with the sport console. kinda want the misses beside me when we are cruising. is there enough room to have someone sit beside you?

Merlinwag

msethsmile T hat's a very nice set up. Love the pickle jar lid cover (nice addition and conversation piece, lol). I have never (to my knowledge) seen a 02 set up with side by front seating. and with the slide steering... so nice!

most of my use will be mainly riding, light fishing, and occasionally skiing. the misses says her and whatever friend she brings must be able to lay out and sun bake.... so at least I have it narrowed to an 03 or now even an 02 with side slide and dual front seats. pretty sure my quest for 100 mph on the water is over. my biggest concern is reliable. Aside from the beautiful 03 that's out this way with a 280ss on it, there's a green 03 with an evinrude etec 150 (not familiar with that set up at all). regardless, my ducks are not completely in a row yet (should be soon). well, actually I'm not very familiar with either of those motors(been away from the outboard scene for a long while). from what I've been reading, the 280ss seems like a great combo, and the etec seems basically maintenance free... any advice or knowledge shared on the two greatly appreciated.

NoContact

I'm not sure on the evinrude but the xb03 with that 280 is certainly a 100mph rig. And an 02 will bust 100 no problem with even a much smaller motor. :cool:

Garry Hagins

I chose the Pro Sport with a Merc 300 XS on it with 1.62 gears. I have a wife and three daughters and plan on doing the family thing when I can. Have fun looking for the right boat. I was sold on my first ride in the XB-21.