What tuner to use

David B

My 260 powerhead has 1" spacer on the horn and 34 cc heads. I'm have the choice of tuners to install one is the stock tuner for it and the other is the one in the pic. The guy says it's a diamond marine tuner. My drawing skills suck but this is the basic shape of it. Witch one should I get

Attachments

JGH

My 260 powerhead has 1" spacer on the horn and 34 cc heads. I'm have the choice of tuners to install one is the stock tuner for it and the other is the one in the pic. The guy says it's a diamond marine tuner. My drawing skills suck but this is the basic shape of it. Witch one should I get

The drawing looks nothing like the tuner Diamond Marine sells on their site. tuner_750.jpg

What midsection are you running?

Last edited:

David B

Yep thats it. I would be putting it on a bass mid 20" should I use it r the stock 260 tuner. I fish and play

JGH

Yep thats it. I would be putting it on a bass mid 20" should I use it r the stock 260 tuner. I fish and play
I'd go with stock. The Mad is designed to blow straight out the back of an offshore 15" mid, I don't think it would work to well for you. I don't like them even with a 15 mid.

The stock tuner can be modified for a little more top end HP.

JGH

What can I do to the stock tuner to help
Shortened and offset lengths and a few other mods I don't want to give away. Go to Diamond Marine's web page and read the description of their tuner, it might give you some ideas. Jay Smith did mine when he dry stacked it. I've attached a generic photo I found with google to give you a general idea. You might lose some low end, nothing's free.
tuner2.jpg

Last edited:

JGH

Hey Jim how long is the stock tuner and how much should I cut off
David-

I don't know how long the stock tuner is. The factory staggers the sides by ~ an inch (starboard side shorter). Jay staggered mine mine by ~1.5". Overall length varies by where in the rpm range you are trying to improve. The 2.5 Drag motor tuner is ~7.5" long, but that's a 10,000 rpm motor.

I can't tell you how much to shorten it, you'd have to decide. Since you fish and probably carry a load, you may not want to shorten it.

Most importantly, match the ports on exhaust plate, gasket and pan to the motor and the tuner to the plate.
PM sent.

David B

Good deal. I will leave it alone just checking on options before I put powerhead back on. Thanks again