What To Look Out For When Buying A Used SS-2000

roystrom

By Fox Lake close to the Illinois and Wisconsin bo
I am looking to buy a used SS-2000 and hoping to get any information on what a buyer should beware of.

A couple years ago I got a ride in one with a Mariner 260 and got hooked. I've had an offshore and a cat before but it never came close to my rides in an Allison.

Unfortunately, I did not have the extra funds until lately. During this time I have been a frequent visitor to this and other message boards to learn as much as I can. I live on the Chain of Lakes in Northern Illinois and enjoy the Thursday night boat races; actually hoping to participate once becoming a good enough driver.

At this time I am more interested in a boat with the side slide seating. At first I wanted a 260 or 280 Merc but now I am leaning more towards a modified or stock 225 Promax; I would prefer the lower maintenance and rebuilding costs. I have heard some people having problems with Optimax motors and I know about the boat's motor weight limitations. I would prefer a turn-key boat because I am still learning about setup. I would be using the boat primarily just for high-speed-enjoyment.

All toys seem to wear out more in certain areas. I know all the typical things to look out for in boats and engines but not much that would be unique to Allisons. I couldn

XXXR2001

If you are seriously interested in an SS2000, you need to jump on the one for sale on Scream & Fly. Red with 15" Promax (in Houston area). I've met the previous owner of the boat and seen it first hand. It's Cherry! If I didn't already have two relatively new Allisons in my garage, I'd have already bought it. For $11k, you'll never ever find a better deal. You can't loose money on a deal like that. If it's not sold already, I'd jump on it cause like I said, that's the best deal on any boat I've seen in forever. It's not side slide, it's center steer but for the price, I'd give up getting the side slide.

By the way, I do not know the guy who now owns it. Only know that he bought it this summer and apparently ain't keen on v-bottoms after giving it a try. If I were you, I wouldn't ask for additional picks or wait around cause it'll be gone if it's not already.

Last edited:

Scott Gilmore

If you are seriously interested in an SS2000, you need to jump on the one for sale on Scream & Fly. Red with 15" Promax (in Houston area). I've met the previous owner of the boat and seen it first hand. It's Cherry! If I didn't already have two relatively new Allisons in my garage, I'd have already bought it. For $11k, you'll never ever find a better deal. You can't loose money on a deal like that. If it's not sold already, I'd jump on it cause like I said, that's the best deal on any boat I've seen in forever. It's not side slide, it's center steer but for the price, I'd give up getting the side slide.

By the way, I do not know the guy who now owns it. Only know that he bought it this summer and apparently ain't keen on v-bottoms after giving it a try. If I were you, I wouldn't ask for additional picks or wait around cause it'll be gone if it's not already.
Not fast enough.............it's SOLD !! Scott :big grin

roystrom

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been looking on Scream & Fly and Byuboyz also.

I don't realy have any interest in a center steer. The boat I originally road in was a two place front seat setup without side slide. That would be my second choice. Actually here is the link to the boat. I believe Scott bought it.

http://allisonowners.com/BrianChristian.html

If I wanted to race a boat with two permanent seats in the front, wouldn't I have to add weight to the passenger side to balance it out?

I mapped out the drive to Texas; would be 1,100 miles one way. It is a beautiful looking boat!

Any suggetions for what problems to look for when buying a used Allison?

Thanks,

Roy

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
From what I understand it's fairly easy to change the boat to whatver seating/steering arrangement you like.

JR

I was tempted to buy a ss since they are soooo much easier to drive at 100+ than my Grandsport [at 95]. As much fun as it was, I knew my wife would not like the cramped cabin and the extreme wind in your face since we travel long distances at high speeds.
The ss is a great rig and you cant go wrong if its not damaged...

msethsmile

Funny Guy
Roystrom--
You rode in an ss and got hooked? Are you alright? But seriously folks, IMO you are right on with the 225 pm/ss scenario. I've had my pm for quite awhile and they just keep running. It was on the back of an ss and ran 106. Try to go w/ the 15" pm. A buddy had a 20"/225pm on an ss and ran 103. It handled pretty well. I just like the looks and handling of a shorty. Look for swiss cheese in the rear bulkheads meaning its been (re)set-up a few to many times. Stress cracks (which I doubt) in the transom area means he's been jumping large wakes.

hack02

Watch for frozen steering cables, its getting hard to find a new set for sale anywhere. An alternative would be hyd. sttering but that would add over a grand to your purchase price if you have to go that route. Look for a home massaged pad, meaning check to see if it has the factory lip still on it. Some hulls respond well to lip modifications and some hulls become slower and harder to drive.

roystrom

I was tempted to buy a ss since they are soooo much easier to drive at 100+ than my Grandsport [at 95]. As much fun as it was, I knew my wife would not like the cramped cabin and the extreme wind in your face since we travel long distances at high speeds.
The ss is a great rig and you cant go wrong if its not damaged...

My wife thinks I'm a little nuts for wanting an SS but she got a ride in one at 85 MPH and was grinning from ear to ear. It gets rough here on the Chain during the weekends. We bought the wife's boat last year, a Chaparral 220 SSi for weekend cruising. I would recommend a Chaparral to anyone, but ours doesn't go over 55. Like I said, wife's boat.

roystrom

Roystrom--
You rode in an ss and got hooked? Are you alright? But seriously folks, IMO you are right on with the 225 pm/ss scenario. I've had my pm for quite awhile and they just keep running. It was on the back of an ss and ran 106. Try to go w/ the 15" pm. A buddy had a 20"/225pm on an ss and ran 103. It handled pretty well. I just like the looks and handling of a shorty. Look for swiss cheese in the rear bulkheads meaning its been (re)set-up a few to many times. Stress cracks (which I doubt) in the transom area means he's been jumping large wakes.
Thanks for the suggestion. I figured the 15" would give a lower center of gravity making the boat a bit more forgiving; especially given the engine weight limitations.

roystrom

Watch for frozen steering cables, its getting hard to find a new set for sale anywhere. An alternative would be hyd. sttering but that would add over a grand to your purchase price if you have to go that route. Look for a home massaged pad, meaning check to see if it has the factory lip still on it. Some hulls respond well to lip modifications and some hulls become slower and harder to drive.
Thanks! This is exactly why I started this thread. I wouldn't have thought the steering was so expensive.

How can I tell if the pad and lip have been modified? I have never been under one of these boats. Is there a thread discussing this topic with pictures?

roystrom

Roystrom--
I was wondering, was your motor stock? Please tell me your prop and setup.

During the past couple summers, I watched Sam Baker win a lot of races with his white Allison with the 225 PM. Unfortunately, I lost out on that boat due to lack of funds. It would have been the ideal setup for me, plus I wouldn't have to drive 100's of miles to buy it.

Scott Gilmore

I was wondering, was your motor stock? Please tell me your prop and setup.

During the past couple summers, I watched Sam Baker win a lot of races with his white Allison with the 225 PM. Unfortunately, I lost out on that boat due to lack of funds. It would have been the ideal setup for me, plus I wouldn't have to drive 100's of miles to buy it.
I bought Sams boat........SS2000 2000 Excel (side slide) . That's what you need to look for when buying an SS2000 . Scott :big grin

roystrom

I bought Sams boat........SS2000 2000 Excel (side slide) . That's what you need to look for when buying an SS2000 . Scott :big grin
Exactly! I watched Sam win a lot of races with it. If I'm not mistaken, I think you already sold it to someone else.

I noticed Reynolds Racing has a 2005 model identical to that without power.

Did you buy Brian's boat that I got my first ride? Here is the link.

http://allisonowners.com/BrianChristian.html

RedAllison

After driving Lous ol SS/260 at this years rally, I wouldn't dream of one without a 2.5 on it. Those boats are FUN!!! Lou's wasn't the fastest A-boat I've driven but it was without question the easiest handling/driving boat I've ever been in. One hand, no big deal lettin her eat at 100. I think I was told the pad was done by either Allison or Reynolds. It was ALOT of fun as well because it was so responsive. I think he had a 26 ET or Hmotive on it at the time. The 225s while dependable as a good watch, are not remotely comparable too a 2.5 especially when on something as light, fast and fun as an SS. A bonestock 260 was on it, I prolly would've done sumpn stupid like take it home if it had a hot 2.5 or even a Drag on it!!! :cuss :cool

GETCHUSUM :beer:
RA

ps
Now that I think about it, was that SS I drove formerly one of Scottie Gs???

roystrom

After driving Lous ol SS/260 at this years rally, I wouldn't dream of one without a 2.5 on it. Those boats are FUN!!! Lou's wasn't the fastest A-boat I've driven but it was without question the easiest handling/driving boat I've ever been in. One hand, no big deal lettin her eat at 100. I think I was told the pad was done by either Allison or Reynolds. It was ALOT of fun as well because it was so responsive. I think he had a 26 ET or Hmotive on it at the time. The 225s while dependable as a good watch, are not remotely comparable too a 2.5 especially when on something as light, fast and fun as an SS. A bonestock 260 was on it, I prolly would've done sumpn stupid like take it home if it had a hot 2.5 or even a Drag on it!!! :cuss :cool

GETCHUSUM :beer:
RA

ps
Now that I think about it, was that SS I drove formerly one of Scottie Gs???
Would you recommend having the pad done at Reynolds? I would prefer a boat that is easier to drive and more stable at high speeds.