what T-Stats temp for HOT days and water?

whipper

Im heading out for a month of boating in 100deg weather with water temps in the 80,s What temp T-stats you guys down south run in your 225,s?

SLOmofo

Purpose of a thermostat is to get the engine up to running temperature quickly and then maintain it there. EFI uses a temp sensor to adjust fuel amount. Colder + fuel, hotter - fuel.

whipper

Purpose of a thermostat is to get the engine up to running temperature quickly and then maintain it there. EFI uses a temp sensor to adjust fuel amount. Colder + fuel, hotter - fuel.
so Im running 132 T-Stats and they seem to run the motor hotter. i just read that guys are running 145F stats in ther 225 promax. Im doing maintenance today. Stats,impeller kit, gearlube. Would going to the recommended 145 run cooler seeings I would have more pressure on the walls when motor runs 140 before the stat opens and allows the water to free flow? Maybe because they open so much sooner at 132 is why heat seems to run higher untill i open up the throttle?

David Lanham

For a properly operating P Max cooling system. The T stats only control idle temp. Once on plane, internal water pressure and water flow is controlled by the poppet valve.

The P Max's I've owned run below the T Stat's opening temp once under plane with minimal or no water flowing pasts the T stats and out the P-discharge hole on the cowl. The on plane engine temp then becomes a function of the lake temp.

Look at the water flow diagram in P Max's Shop Manual

But, I have seen some P Max s runner hotter than the T Stat temp once on plane as well.

chad202

Down south it doesn't matter what degree you run. They will be open and stay open when running. My promax ran 165-170 during the summer. So you can run colder stats but that only mean they will open sooner.

jcoats3

Not sure of my tstat setting but my PM runs 155-160 regularly. Has done this with my old coned torque master w/15 to 18 psi water and now w/a new sporty the water pressure shot up to 25 to 30 psi at WOT. That on 80 deg plus water. Same temp w/ more pressure.

whipper

thanks I had to order the 143 T stats part #75692t2 they had no idea what a promax was and only had references for 3.0 lts and this was a merc store.:confused: Im replacing the impeller now and going to seal the gaskets to the metal parts like ive seen guys do.

procomp

Hey whipper not to highjack the post but does anyone know what size fender washer us sometimes used?

Larry33kc

I just took the guts out of a set of stats that I will run in the summer