What size and grade bolts?

K.Kiser

1/2" x 13 stainless or grade 8 steel... The hardness of the grade 8 isn't necessary, but they stand up against corrosion a little better than the standard grade 5... If you go stainles, don't forget to go back a few times over the course of a month or so and check the torque and be sure to use anti-seize when you install... If you re-torque, be sure to spin the nut only and not the bolt to keep your seal... They'll stretch a little with the initial torque, but they'll eventually find a happy spot... The grade 8's won't need torqing but once, and 45-50 ft. lbs. of torque should be plenty on either fastener... You might have known all of this already, so I'll shut up..

Skydog

Thank you

How long? Do you get the bottom ones longer than the top? No jack plates right to the boat.

Skydog

GFinch

As K.Kiser said "sure to use anti-seize when you install... "

I had the pleasure of one gaulling and had to take a die grinder with a cut off wheel to it. It was going on the first time and stopped short of tight by a 1/16", it was ugly!
Also never use an air tool to run them up.

J

John Richied

When you figure out how long of bolts you need you might want to get them a tad longer so you can double nut them. It might be over kill but I double nut my jackplate to engine bolts.

I like the stainless steel bolts and brass nylon lock nuts.

K.Kiser

If you use SAE( fine thread ), try to use a fine wire wheel to buff the threads a little... Fine threads gaul easily, even a "feather" can make them wedge to a stop... Also, fine threads clamp harder than coarse threads at a given torque, so you won't need as much as muscle on the wrench... This almost certainly won't be a problem with bolt sinking in an Allison, but use a little caution on a wood boat...