Welded Pistons

ALLISONMAN

I ALSO KNOW ODBA WINNERS THAT USE THE SAME MERCURY PISTONS OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND THEY JUST KEEP WINNING!!!!! THERE IS ALSO RULES YOU HAVE TO ABIDE BY IN RACING AND USING NON STOCK PISTONS WILL HAVE YOU A BIG DQ!!!!! AND RANDY TELL ME HOW MANY NIC MOTORS HAVE YOU SEEN RUN 150 HOURS AND NOT NEED RINGS????? SO ARE YOU TELLING ME EVERY TIME YOU PUT RINGS IN YOU PUT PISTONS IN??????? WHAT ABOUT DRAG RACERS WHEN EVERY RACE OR EVERY OTHER RACE THEY REPLACE THE RINGS???? HECK I DONT KNOW BUT I DO HAVE A GOOD FRIEND THAT IS VERY KNOWLEDGABLE AND KICKS THAT ARSE AT JUST ABOUT EVERY RACE HE RACES AT!!! SO HE DOESNT SELL ME NO GIMMICKS AND EVRYTHING HE HAD TOLD ME HAS BECOME TRUE EVEN IF I DIDNT LISTEN AND TRY THEM ANYWAY!!!! PROMAX SVS SYSTEMS WAS A GOOD EXAMPLE I WAS TOLD NO INCREASE IN TOPEND AND VERY LITTLE IN THE BOTTOM AND MID AND GUESS WHAT THAT EXACT THING HAPPENED!!!! MY PERSONAL EXPRIENCE IN SVS!!!!!!!!!! OF COURSE IF I LOWERED MY MOTOR KEPT THE TRIM DOWN ON THE INITIAL RUNS AND THEN AFTER INSTALLING RAISE THE MOTOR AND TRIM IT UP I PROBABLY COULD SHOW SOME GAIN HUH!!!!!!!!! AND PINKIE YOU JUST KEEP THINKING ABOUT THE DRAG RACE WITH A 32 CLEAVER AND ME!!!!! I WILL GO SHOW YOU SOME ODBA RACE PICS WITH ME AND STOVALL AND ME AND COONEY JORDAN AND ALSO ME AND COLIN HALL AND THEN YOU TELL ME ABOUT DRAG RACING!!!! OH YEAH ALSO THE YEAR BEFORE THE 50TH ASK JERRY HOW FAR BEHIND I WAS WHEN HE HAD HIS 24 YAMAHA ON AND I HAD MY 22ET ON(THE ONE THAT LOU HAS) 1 1/2 TO 2 BOAT LENGTHS. ASK YELLER HE WAS THERE AND WITNESSED IT!!!! BUT LAST YEAR TRUTH BE KNOWN IS THAT MY LIVEWELLS WERE FULL OF WATER (ASK LOU) AND THE MOTOR HAD A NOISE WHICH WASNT FOUND AND I HAD A SEAL COME OUT OF MY LOWER UNIT WHICH I HAD TO REPLACE THE NEXT DAY!!! I ALSO HAD ABOUT 3/4 TANK FULL OF GAS!!! BUT YOU KNOW I GOT SOMETHING IN THE WORKINGS AND THEN WE CAN TALK!!!! UNTIL STAY ON THE LEFT COAST AND OUTRUN SOME STRATOS'S AND THEM OTHER NON HI-PO BOATS OUT THERE!!!!! YOU BRING THAT TONNOU COVERED TATER CHIP TO TENNESSEE AND I CAN ASSURE YOU WILL GO HOME WITH YOUR GPI FEELINGS HURT!!!!! I WILL SAY THIS WHEN YOU "REDNECK RACE" ANYTHING GOES!!!!! OR IF YOU COME TO THE ODBA RACE YOU BETTER STICK SOME WEIGHT IN THAT TATER CHIP AND SEE HOW FAST YOU BUTT GETS HANDED TO YOU!!!!! AND WHEN IS THE GPI 1/4 MILE BOAT COMING TO AN ODBA RACE?????? CANT WAIT TO SEE THAT LOOK AT LIKE DAMN THEM GUYS ARE FAST!!!!!!!!!! NO SON DONT SING IT JUST BRING IT!!!!!!!

ALLISONMAN

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST REDALLISON PLEASE FORGIVE ME!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

OH YEAH PINKIE YOU GOT KICKED OFF JSRE'S CHRISTMAS CARD LIST!!!! :D :D :D NO MORE PENZOIL FOR YOU!!!!

Chummy

Speaking strictly as a consumer but when I pay for a rebuild, thats what I want I don't want my old worn parts in the motor that I get back. I do agree with Randy in that how "you" build or have your engine built is your own deal, it doesn't make a difference to me, because I'll stop when someone breaks something and offer help, thats just because, thats how I am. If there is a better part out there then I'll let the professionals see just how much better it is.

GPI Racing

You really need to fix your caps lock key.

Next you need to relax a little. Your way too serious.

Then I can talk to you about stuff. When will I drag race? When it becomes fun and worthwhile. Not much to prove really.

Here why and bear with me on this. I think you of all people can relate to this as I think you like to drive fast boats and are a competent pilot. :::

When they allowed trim timers, drag plates, boat alterations, and the like in the non-unlimited classes I lost interest. I (and deep down I think you too) want to use what skill I have to compete. The way it is now, once you dial the thing in all you have to do is start and point it. The box does the rest. The drag plates and tabs keep the boat flat. Not that hard to do. I'd much rather run off with pure lake boats, where driver skill is part of the deciding factor. What little I know about you, I would say you're of the same mold, you are skilled and it's fun to use/show that skill.

So until they bring it back to the driver and not the equipment he must purchase just to be in the hunt, I'll carry on racing in other forms of motorsport where the nut behind the wheel is more that 10% of the package.

Lastly, don't take my post as bashing you. I'm raising the question. The money spent on rings and pinning is more than the amount you could spend on all new stuff. If you dig deep you can find all this out. Alot of people see the things posted on this board. I put the info out there to get guys to think. I'm not here to push product. I have never once sold a piston on this board. The individual can make his own choice. Sometimes a person needs to look outside the box. There is no one way to do things. There are some easy choices and some very difficult ones. 2.5 mercurys are not rocket science. They are a very primitive two stroke motor. 30 year old technology at it's very best.

Randy

J

John Richied

Allison man, you just bring that XB-2003/280 to the Western Allison Rally… Well see who want’s their mommy… hehehe

Are we having fun yet? :wink:

GPI Racing

You tell 'em John.. Those guys at Yamaha must be idiots to put cast pistons in all those R1 engines. Valentino Rossi has to be a dumb a** to think he can win championships with cast pistons. Opps, damn 5 in a row. Aw, what do they know. They should call Wiesco.

There is a much bigger world out there if you choose to look at it. :shock:

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
BUT LAST YEAR TRUTH BE KNOWN IS THAT MY LIVEWELLS WERE FULL OF WATER (ASK LOU)
Saw it with my own eyes when I brought the trailer around!

ALLISONMAN

you know the ole saying is you get what you pay for!!!!!!! I own a 4wd and auto repair shop and know all about motors, metals and parts. i have built many and many race motors for cars and would not put a cast piston in a race motor!!! it would not hold up!! you should go back to the thinking that anything forged is better than the best cast!!! i know of 93 model 260's that still have the same pistons in and still running great!!!!! the major failure of the pistons are detonation, overheat, and lack of oil!!!!! have you ever thought that detonation might cause the pins to back out??? detonation can happen and you can not even notice it happening and sometimes cant get an egt(readings are too slow) or even notice a detonation problem by reading a spark plug or piston top!!! randy there are a lot better reasoning than just throw a set of pistons in!!!! think about this the pin locator problem is a whole lot more pronounced in the lower states!!! higher temps - poorer fuel ???? who knows but i am a firm believer in fix what is broke and what it needs!!! dont just throw parts at it!!!

and my caps key stays locked on my computer and i wasnt gonna go back and retype the whole post!!! :lol: :lol:

mercury's production motors and promax series uses cast pistons and their hi-po motors use forged. Maybe mercury doesnt know either. But all I can say is keep turning them cast pistons 10,000 for the same number of hours as the forged and we will see who is dead in the water!!! :D :D

ALLISONMAN

pinkie you might want mommy!!!!!!!! by the way how many hi-po boats have you raced anyway or even see aout there???? different story over this way or down south!! if you think you are fast - think again!!!!!!!!

Chummy

This is going no where good, run the pistons you want to run and so will everyone else.

GPI Racing

Allisonman,

So what your saying is all those engineers from all those mfg (yamaha, honda, suzuki, pavesti, ducati, aprilia, etc, etc) are stupid? Those thousands of motors they build are all doomed? Mercury does things based on what the cost is first and foremost. The 2.5 is a VERY poor example of state of the art 2 strokes. I find it neat that these same people were running cast pistons in their 2.4 litre engines for 10 plus years. Never had a problem then. It magically showed once Mercury started using Wiesco pistons. These '93 2.5 you speak of don't have wiesecos do they? I gather most of the nay-sayers have know idea that there are endless ways of casting and forging pistons. This whole discussion is so odd. There is not just one cast piston material in the world and it isn't true that ALL pistons are the same. I'm giving up on this post as it clearly is not worth the trouble. Ask all these experts WHO puts a warranty on their high perf/race engines? I do...do they? In the last 4 years I've built 250+ engines. Know how many failures I've had? You have more fingers on one hand. Anyway this post isn't worth anything.

On a different note how about your thoughts on racing with timers and all or just by the seat of your pants? Which would you rather do?

Randy

Chummy

Timers take the driver error and skill out of driving, I drove a boat that had the trim and nitrous on a timer, so that all you had to do was arm the system, mat it, and hold on. While it is fun (especially with the nitrous) just about anyone could drive the boat.

ALLISONMAN

some knowledge always end the conversation!!!!!!!

and dont worry brad i will run the pistons i want but dont mislead others just because some builders posts on a message board and some builders dont. I hate to see people waste their hard earned money with just one side being posted here. Ask jay smith or john marles or some other builders if they would use them cast pistons in their race motors!!!!!!! this topic is also going on other message boards and i feel that "tha family here" needs to be informed before everyone jumps on the boat and all goes down one road!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and randy if mercury is so sorry why do you own and run one??????? go buy ya a yamaha or omc from what you say they are way better!!!!!!!

oh yeah in what winner circle are your race motors ???? odba, dsra, fbi???

GPI Racing

You still never told us how you like to drive, with or without assistance. We need feedback!! :lol: The curiosity is killing me.

Randy

And who warranty's their motors? The question begs..

ALLISONMAN

i perfer without electronics but i tell you this - setup is more important than a timer, computer or anything else!!!!! setup wins just about everytime and i know of drivers winning against eletronics!!!!

GPI Racing

That's what I meant yesterday. Once you go through the work of dial in and set up (totally maximising everything) then there isn't much left for the driver to do with all the electronics. That's why I haven't run the national stuff in drag racing. Locally it's not allowed so we have lots of fun driving as well as working on set up and stuff. Sometimes the driver screws up and has to come back through the quailifiers for his mistake and I feel that is what seperates the men from the boys. Glad to see you like to drive your boat too..

Randy