weight loss and speed gains?

aaronmt

I no longer have a Allison,we just needed a bigger boat for our water here.So we have a 22 Velocity O/B.Ive been working on our boat alot lately.Im just kinda courious how much weight effects top end.Granted I know this is no Allison.However all thing equal it basically comes down to power to weight ratio.So far I ve removed about 75lb from the cuddy and another 70lb throughought the rest of the boat.All of this is being done with replaceing heavy componets with lighter ones basicaly.The wife isnt keen on gutting the cuddy to get a few more hp,so im keeping it looking stock.Im just not sure topspeed is that effected by the weight as much as acceleration.Whats your guys take?

patches

You're right. On a percentage basis basis 150 lbs isn't much relative to the total weight. Takes a sizable weight loss to effect top speed.

catfish123

I know where the weight is in the boat seems to sometimes have a pretty big effect............but like has been said with gasoline at about 6 pounds/gallon, when I'm down to 10 gallons, boat has lost 120 lbs just for that and I never noticed much of a difference in top end.

Last edited: