warning horn

John S

Im just about done rigging my motor on my boat and found out it doesnt have a warning horn. what lead does it come off of the harness and what will I all need? I have an aftermarket shifter ( not a merc control box), when I called the local merc dealer, they said it was $38! :shock: I thought I would just need a 12v horn, but for 38 bucks, Im assuming theres more to it like a relay or something. HELP!! Oh yeah, Ive got an opti xs, if that is important.

Thanks- John S

J

John Richied

If your after market shifter has no warning horn it probably has no switch to attach a kill switch lanyard???

Maybe they sell a one piece switch/horn for this?

John S

Thanks John. The keyswitch is quicksilver, so is that where the leads for the horn are? Now that you mentioned the kill switch, is that the black with yellow tracer and yellow with black tracer on the keyswitch? I think the shifter is a livorsi.

Thanks-John S

J

John Richied

I think the yellow tracer and yellow with black tracer go to the neutral safety switch.

Mine is bypassed and wired together so I have no neutral safety switch and can start in gear.

J

John Richied

Correction on the yellow tracer and yellow with black tracer…

I just found a my old Merc wiring diagram so I don’t know if it applies to your newer OptiMax..

To the lanyard stop switch it shows BLK/YEL going from the ignition to the kill switch.

And from the kill switch, BLK/WHT plugging into BLK that is a ground into the wiring harness.

John S

Hey, thanks John. I was gonna go to a dealer tomorrow and see if I could snag a wiring diagram, but you beat me to it, much appreciated. I cant see why any 12v horn wouldn't work for the alarm, so maybe Ill shoot down there anyways and see what they got. Thanks for the legwork :D

John S

J

John Richied

If I remember right even though I have the Merc control box, my warning horn is connected off my ignition system. It hangs under there with a strap-strap to it on the wiring harness.

Maybe you have one under there?

xs03mich

Horn...

Yes any 12 volt horn should work. I had to change one on a older unit. Radio Shack might have something, or try a different dealer. I went to a dealer that carried bayliner stuff for the replacement it was under 10 bucks a few years ago.

John S

Thanks John, I looked, nada. And thanks 03 Mich. Maybe Ill get the horn from the General Lee! :lol: Im never going to the dealer in my town again. Those A-HOLES swore I would need all this crap to make a stupid horn work. If it werent fer all you guys Id be broke from the thievin dealer in my town ( of course, if it werent for yu guys, I never wouldve talked myself into buying a xb02, so I guess Im broke either way :? ). Ah hell, thanks guys, youre the best! :D

John S