USING EPOXY TO ATTACH AN ALLISON PLATE

Butch Leslie

I know that no one likes to drill holes in their cavitation plate to attach this allison plate, it voids the warranty. Has anyone tried to glue it on with epoxy or another type of glue? The foil is attached under the cavitation plate so all of the force should be upward towards the cavitation plate and it seems in theory that the glue should hold it. I have never seen anything posted on any of the boards about this type of attachment, so chances are it won't work. Ideas???

Butch Leslie

GPI Racing

I did one with windshield urethane once. Before doing it drill a hole for the bolt under the trim tab and groove it for the 2 rear gearcase studs. Reason: it wouldn't come off with a post maul!! We needed to take the case off and had to cut the urethane with a long knife. Took forever.

Randy

BassAlly3

Butch, I have seen one of those plates come off and bend ear on the prop :cry: Make sure whatever you decide on, that it stays on. Good luck! Mark

deadeye99

The plate doesn't fit totally flush. The bottom of the lu isn't flat. My plate bends a little when you tighten the bolts. I don't think you could glue it and I can't believe your warranty would be void but I might be wrong about that. Bob

J

John Richied

I would use four stainless steel bolts, nuts and polyurethane washers to space between the foil and the cavitaion plate (like was already mentioned the surfaces don’t meet up flush)… mount it properly.

As for Merc saying it will void the warrantee on your gearcase, that is true, but I think that’s only if the cavitaion plate is broke, not the gears, seals or internals fail. It probably depends on your Merc dealer, but I have never heard of Merc voiding a gearcase warrantee due to a foil being installed.

GPI Racing

Butch,

I forgot to add that after you put the Windshield Urethane on it needs to be clamped in about 4 spots. The plate will conform to the cav plate shape, like was mentioned. Once on, you can stand on it, pound it, bend it and the sucker will not come off. Make sure it's straight before the stuff dries.

Randy