Using ballast solo to increase speed and handling

TraceF3

2001 Grand Sport with a fresh 225X built with a Laser intake, Brucato, etc, all by Dave Driefort. Tells me it's probably more like 250-260 HP.

I'm 205 and there's virtually nothing in the starboard side of my boat. On the port side there's a 45 pound battery, 15 pound cooler, and some misc gear, all in the rear compartment.

I bought some 45 pound bags of ballast and I can do the simple math: 205 - 70 = 135. Is it that simple? 3 x 45 = 135. 3 bags of ballast in the port side cubby?

OR is the 70 pounds I count in the rear somehow more or less affecting the weight distribution? The ballast would be pretty close to beside me but the other 70 pounds is in the far left rear.

Any opinions?

wcarlyle

Supporting Member
Hey Trace, he will probably respond but Pkstv on here has his balanced perfectly with ballast so he can tell you what he uses. I am currently not using any additional weight, but I am 150lbs. I hope you are enjoying the boat, I do hope to see you at the Glen once it warms up.

pkstv

Supporting Member
2001 Grand Sport with a fresh 225X built with a Laser intake, Brucato, etc, all by Dave Driefort. Tells me it's probably more like 250-260 HP.

I'm 205 and there's virtually nothing in the starboard side of my boat. On the port side there's a 45 pound battery, 15 pound cooler, and some misc gear, all in the rear compartment.

I bought some 45 pound bags of ballast and I can do the simple math: 205 - 70 = 135. Is it that simple? 3 x 45 = 135. 3 bags of ballast in the port side cubby?

OR is the 70 pounds I count in the rear somehow more or less affecting the weight distribution? The ballast would be pretty close to beside me but the other 70 pounds is in the far left rear.

Any opinions? Get your self an RV level and tape it to your dash above the steering wheel then use weight to get the boat level with you in the driver seat . I use bar bells as I’m 270 lbs . Some in my port wing like 100 lbs and another 25 in my port rear armrest compartment . She still runs in the 100 mph range every time out

GotMyAlly

You shouldn't need to add ballast pound for pound to get it to level out.

Place the ballast as far out to the side of the boat as you can. It'll have more leverage there.

aj06bolt12r

Get you some of these and fill them with sand. Very cheap. Wont hurt anything in the boat if it gets jostled around. Easy to move around to fine tune your ballast.

I usually run around with 3 of these in the passenger side gunnel compartment... Will pull one out and throw it in the middle of the floor or in the passenger seat to fine tune balance depending on what or who I have in the boat with me.