Twin Allisons

whipper

WOW thanks Scott for the heads up I'm sure glad I checked out those two beauties!!! Just incredible all the details and great performance to!!! They must be a blast at 75-80!!
Those little motors are sweeeeet looking just like new or better than new!!!

Lotus 50

I was thinking how cool these were, and then I remembered John Tiger's article about running 80+ in an SS2000 with a 115 Etec. Seems a lot simpler and more reliable. Are the new hulls that much faster or were those old motors just not so strong?

BGohr

Well actually neither. The old morors are stronger and the old boats are faster. Neither one of these boats will see the prop used to make that SS go 80, as well, these boats will go 70 in the distance that SS went 60 and it only gets worse from there.

Lotus 50

In John Tiger's original post he said "will easily run 80 when dialed in"

That got me thinking about his SS2000/115 article. The SS is a lot bigger hull, and probably a lot heavier. I would expect a race 15' boat to be a lot lighter, which would help acceleration.

So you figure the 15R would be faster on top end if you could find a prop to do it? That would make sense to me. The boats are so much smaller than an SS. What HP do you think those engines make?

What would the propshaft HP of a stock 150 inline 6 be?

Thanks

patches

definitely two very cool boats. i'd like to have one of those to break out 2 or three times a year for a trip to the sandbar. the little allisons are fun boats to drive.

BGohr

In John Tiger's original post he said "will easily run 80 when dialed in"

That got me thinking about his SS2000/115 article. The SS is a lot bigger hull, and probably a lot heavier. I would expect a race 15' boat to be a lot lighter, which would help acceleration.

So you figure the 15R would be faster on top end if you could find a prop to do it? That would make sense to me. The boats are so much smaller than an SS. What HP do you think those engines make?

What would the propshaft HP of a stock 150 inline 6 be?

Thanks
The orange boat has already gone 83.7 the way it was bolted together in the shop and with the first prop I grabbed. While John's motor is stronger, he limited himself by not having low water pick ups and we left the V4 prop shaft in his so he could run those old OMC race props to keep it "retro". My gearcase was done by JC hust like an XR6, its higher, and I have a V6 shaft so I can run anything I want on it.

Unfortunately, I did have a customer who has a twin to my orange boat and he was going to restore it with a 1500XS on it, but he backed out, we really wanted to have the three of them together.

As far as the in line comparison goes, while an XS "MAY" have made 155hp, which I highly doubt, I do know that the 140hp V4 never made 140, but would run stock for stock next to the "155" hp engines. Tiger ran a 1985 115 in JP and beat up on XS's all the time.

The real difference was when you could mod them. an in line was really limited, you could port it but you couldn't squeeze it. So in the waning days of the 100cu in classes when all the big dogs would show up at Kankakee and run formula100 and mod100 it was generally won by an OMC and actually, there was a couple Forces that ran well, Remley and Foreman duked it out more than once and the twisters were in the back.

whipper

Great info thanks for sharing that with.
I cant imagine what fun it would be to scream around the lake on a calm sunny day with one of these pretty little rockets!! Very cool. So what would the bare hull weight be anyway? I'm guessing under 500lbs?

Lotus 50

Thanks for the info.

Were the V4s always competitive with the inline 6 engines? I went to a number of races in Ontario in the mid 70s, and then stopped going. This goes back a long time, but my memory is that FJ (V bottom, 15' minimum, 100 cube) was dominated by black engines. In Ontario in those days, the hot hulls were Checkmates and Kennedys, the latter alleged to be a local Checkmate splash. I never saw a Stream or Ally in the 70's.

BGohr

It's weird how back then the border was like a line in the sand, we didnt know what went on north of the border.

See when you saw those "in line" classes, that's just what they were, JP, SJ, so yep thats all you saw in that class, the class wasn't really designed around the engine but it was. If it was advantageous to run a short shaft engine with low water pick ups and only one manufacturer makes one, what do you do?

But when it came to a "mod" class, things changed