Trying to restore my color...

CommonArcWelder

Trying to restore the color on my 2002. It is lightly oxidized. I'll be using a buffer. What kind of compound ya'll reccomend? Also, is there an easier way to clean the grainy surfaces like on the front, rear, and the inside (all full of old wax). Thanks, Keith

JR

I tried everything, then I took it to Jack Barsch who made it new.
JR

SLOmofo

Find a body shop supply and get a rubbing compound and 3M Finess It for final. Ask them for help. They can supply you with the correct pads. I used a stiff brush on the grainy surfaces. Some one had used white spray paint to cover up build up in aeras = lots of elbow grease.

pickwickangler

Mine was faded and the wrinkle finish was also faded on the inside, dash included. I went to body shop supply and bought a high speed buffer for $79 and some compound that starts out rough and fines up after you start buffin (local body shop supply is experts here). The compound is in a black bottle and is called Presta Strata Ultra Cutting Creme. I used a wool pad and turned the buffer to around 3/4 throttle on the wrinkle finish and the outside. The boat buffed out GREAT, no swirl marks or nuthin like that, mirror finish :wink. After you buff the inside wash and wax it pretty quik and get the leftover wax out of the wrinkle finish with a soft bristle brush. Doesnt take but a hour or so to actually buff the boat, hard part is the taking the stickers/hardware off (if you choose to do so). One thing buffing will not do is take out sun fade (where old stickers and pinstripes are) because it is actually faded under the gel coat but I am told the more your boat sees the sunlight it will kinda fade back in. I did this while I had my carpet tore out, It is going to sling compound all over the place so be ready for a big clean up afterward.

CommonArcWelder

Thanks for the replies....I bought some stuff made by 3M...Its called fiberglass restorer and wax. Also bought the recommended follow-up wax. I'm gonna try it on a little spot and see what happens. Thanks Again!!! BTW anyone know about how much a sticker kit is for an XB2002?

jpxb2003

Ive used the products by 3M on mine. Finesse-it and so on. They worked great. Use a rotary polisher not an orbital one. Run it on about 1500 rpms and just keep it movin. As for the vinyl-type finish on the inside you can use the polisher on it too, but if its just dirt and grime Bill at Allison told me to use Wesley's Bleche-white (whitewall cleaner). Fortunately mine was only dirty on the inside and it made it look new. Hope this helps.

Bill Kemp

i restored my 1990 last year( wet sanded, buffed, all new decals and pinstripes, alum rub rail and the rubber insert, carpet, driver sear cover and one fishing seat, all the switch panels, and switches,) less than 1500 for everything from allison. they don't have the old flat decals anymore only the raised ones all the decals where something around 200 dollars that includes the allison sheilds on the console and back lid

RedAllison

Andy's boat is BEAUTIMUS! His buff job was AMAZING. Red is a VERY hard color to properly buff without leaving any marks on compared to whites, grays, yellows etc... and Andy's is BLINDINGLY bright. Luckily the gel on Aboats is very thick and will take a good buffing/cutting without hurting anything.

I use liquids STRICTLY because they are so much easier to use/remove from the wrinkle areas than paste products!
RA

tekajo

Use magic eraser for the inside. Looks like a sponge with water. Works very well.

jpxb2003

Tekajo, magic eraser is an amazing product. Works like a charm on your seats and so forth, but I would stay away from the fiberglass with it.

tekajo

I used the magic eraser on the inside with good result. Not a whole lot of scrubbing needed. Are you worried it might scratch the fiberglass? After cleaning I use rag with some bass boat saver and it looks great.

CommonArcWelder

I used the magic eraser on the inside with good result. Not a whole lot of scrubbing needed. Are you worried it might scratch the fiberglass? After cleaning I use rag with some bass boat saver and it looks great.
Hmmm....What is this BASS BOAT SAVER that you speak of?? Started buffing it today....Man, it is looking GOOD!!!! The brush trick worked awesome for the most part. Thanks for ya'lls help!!!:smile:smile:smile

CommonArcWelder

Go to http://www.bassboatcentral.com/index.htm It will be advertised on the home page. Lots of threads on the forum about product. Quite a few bassboat fisherman just love the product.
Thanks tek...I see Gander Mountain in Beaumont,TX sells it. Gonna pick up a bottle Friday. Got other problems with the motor now. Gots me a broken reed on #6.....Never ending.....:banghead