trouble controlling my xb2003

bigg t

Probationary User
Just bought a 97 xb2003 with a 225 evinrude vindicator. At about 70 mph the boat starts to walk back and fourth very bad forcing me to shut it down. I'm running a 29 inch chopper and the prop shaft is about a half an inch below the pad. This is the first allison i've owned. Is this a normal thing for these boats? Some people say to drive through it i don't know. Some say i need hard mounts others say raise the motor. It gets to 70 like nothing i know there is alot more speed there if i could just hold it. Any advise? 8) 8)

Skydog

Boy where to start

Frist, take your time!! GET SEAT TIME!
2, make sure you streering is tight, Dont raise motor for now it is ok. Make sure you have weight to balance your boat out. Learn to drive her , little turns with the wheel, almost like little jerks. As soon as you feel the boat falling off the pad to the left snap the wheel to the right. -------

There are tons of guys on here that will help you out!! When i frist drove my Ally. I was mad could not go over 70 mph!! I came from a Hydrostream that was easier to drive. BUT when i got used to my boat and set up right!! WOW I WAS IN LOVE!! Now i run 98+ ALL DAY!! Best of 103mph! Have fun!

Skydog
:D :D

Skydog

One last big thing!!

You will find over time slowing down is scary!! DO NOT cut the gas in a ALLY!! SLow down easy!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock:

Skydog

badbait

Now if you really wanted a lot of help you should of added another T to your name. lol If you go the the bottom of the page before this one. At the bottom right of that page you will see that you can go back a page and see what was said on this subject to Allison new b. There were some good hint on getting started with an Allison. If your new at this your not going to be able to drive through it. Trust me on this and rule number 2 is don't listen to anybody but the guys that are driving allison's and loving every minute of it.

GotMyAlly

Whoever is telling you to 'just drive through it' has obviously never been behind the wheel of an Ally. That is a good way to get wet.

It would be in your best interest to find another allison owner in your area to check your setup first. Trying to learn to drive an ally that is not set up correctly is an uphill battle. The learning curve challenging enough without fighting a bad setup too.

1/2" below the pad is a safe motor height (assuming your l/u is coned). Make sure your gear is balanced. If the boat does not sit level at rest, it won't run level.

Don't expect to be able to go out and run the boat WFO. It takes time. You said it starts to walk at 70. Drive it at 65 for a good distance to get the feel of how it responds to trim. Then bump it to 70. Once you get comfortable there, go to 75, and so on. This may take several trips or even months to get it down.

Lastly, DON'T OVERTRIM. This ain't your daddy's Ranger. Run it just a few degrees above neutral trim, no more.

chad202

I find mind drives easier at 80 and above than it does at 65-75mph. MAKE SURE THE SETUP IS CORRECT, WEIGHT BALANCED, GOOD PROP, AND TAKE YOUR TIME.

froggy

Bigg T,

You cannot drive through the chine walk; once it occurs it is too late. Your job is to keep the chine walk from occurring. I recon this to fishing a jig and pig---it takes feel. Once you know the feel, it will become easy.

I would suggest you balance your boat and make sure your steering has the slop out of it. Also try to find a four bladed prop, if you can. Now find a LARGE open area and drive your boat in a, large radius, left hand turn. Keep your boat going slightly left. Soon you will be going faster and faster with no chine walk.

Try to find another Allison driver to help you.

froggy

Jimxb02

bigg t

Your post mentioned someone suggesting hard mounts. You must verify that you have hard mounts and if not you must install them. Also, make sure you take all the slack out of your steering. This is basic to setting up an Ally. Then follow the rest of the advise listed above.

Good luck !!!

Jim

brotherxb03

I have a 98 xb2003 with a 2.5,200 Merc 14" setback and hydralic plate. I have been out about 10 times in it since riging it. I went fishing yesterday and got it up to 85. I have owned a hydrostream varmit and a 18' 1050 lb off brand bass boat with a 200 and the allison is the fastest and hardest to drive. You have to run a level trim on this boat and still have to watch at open throttle is it bites and fells like it's going to do a bat turn don't let off the gas all at once. Just get off for a second enough to muscle it straight then get back on about 3/4 throttle. I have changed a lot on my set up including batterry location and it's still hell to drive above 75.

RB in NM

Most issues people find that makes them learning to drive one of these rascals is set up problems. There is some good info in above posts. If you are new to an Allison, I suggest you spend five bucks and get the "lil red book" from Allison. Lots of good info in there.

For getting started, I'd suggest full tank of gas, get some water in the livewells, and a smaller pitched prop. Get ya a 26"er to start, they are easier to drive than a larger wheel that tends to torque more.

with the chine walk, you need to counter act , with small steering inputs, the oppisite way.

It will come to you, don;t get discouraged.
Russ

GotMyAlly

Hang in there, it only seems hard to drive until you get the hang of it....then you forget about it. Once you get a grip on the beast, you will realize how great these things handle.

jimmyb

best advice is to hook up with a local allison owner and have him drive the boat to see if there are any issues. He can then give you some driving lessons and pointers.

A

AllisonNewb97

Bigg t, like was said before 'this aint your daddy's ranger'....Right on the money bro. These guys on this board are speaking gospel, they know their Shizzle. This boat needs no trim...she aint the wide flat pad boat u've been in before, its a whole new animal. I can now get mine up on the rev limiter with no troubles. Im not pulling these awesome speeds but Im running a consistent 75 to 77 on gps without anymore troubles. I dont know if you've got trolling motor batteries but i moved mine from the outside compartments to the fuel compartment...Big difference. Like these guyz have said...balance the boat (side to side and aft to fore), dont overtrim and seat time,seat time, seat time. I still have a long way to go but not as long as I would if it werent for these guyz. Have fun and be patient. It will come.

badbait

How long did it take you to learn to ride a two wheel bike. The corrections you make at first to the bars were probably to late and to much. Then after some seat time you got it figured out. After a lot of seat time you just road the darn thing and automatically made the corrections without realizing you were making them. You can get there with your allison also. There were know shortcuts for me. I may of had 20 hours on mine before I started feeling comfortable at the higher speeds. Good luck and don't get discouraged. Another owner helping you is a good idea.

Skydog

GotMyAlly said:
Hang in there, it only seems hard to drive until you get the hang of it....then you forget about it. Once you get a grip on the beast, you will realize how great these things handle.
Man so so true!!

Skydog

chad202

I luv mine more and more everytime I get in it. I know why they say Allisons don't catch fish. All I want to do is ride, don't feel stopping to fish anymore. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bounce

Probationary User
6 seconds on the pad..yahoo!!

greetings,

searching threads for driving info.....

found 'em here! thanks for all your input fellas!

I've got bout an hour seat time total...looking forward to mastering the chine.

http://allisonowners.com/GeorgeL.html <---here's the boat..(that's Dad driving)

thanks Dad! Yahoo!!!