Trophy big barrel vs small barrel

hooken203

If you were going to buy a Trophy prop for your XB21 would you prefer a large or small barrel? SHO 250 engine.

mittenbass

Guessing here, but I would say either a large barrel or the small barrel with an exhaust ring. The SHO is a 4.2 l four stroke with lots of low end torque. You do not need it to rev up on holeshot like a two stroke motor so you want the exhaust going through the hub and not over the blades. For example, turbo made the fxp for this motor and that prop is basically a txp 3 blade without vent holes.

hooken203

Only going by pictures it appears there is more blade area on the small barrel props. You are right the 4 stroke doesn't need to spin up but it does need to get rid of a lot of exhaust or it won't rev. I just put power-poles on and it killed my hole shot. Running a 28 hydromotive now and the boat really works to get up on plane and motor only turns 5700.
So I need a prop with a little less pitch. I am prop poor right now so I need something cheap that's why I am looking at Trophys

BASS BUM

Only going by pictures it appears there is more blade area on the small barrel props. You are right the 4 stroke doesn't need to spin up but it does need to get rid of a lot of exhaust or it won't rev. I just put power-poles on and it killed my hole shot. Running a 28 hydromotive now and the boat really works to get up on plane and motor only turns 5700.
So I need a prop with a little less pitch. I am prop poor right now so I need something cheap that's why I am looking at Trophys
you may want to give todd at hydromotive a call. i would bet he can tweek your 28 for a hole shot and save you the cost of a new prop. just a thought.

mittenbass

I might also look for a 27p Bravo I if you want better holeshot. You probably can get by with an older one without vent holes (not a worked one with pvs added or the newer Bravo I XS). The older ones sometimes pop up on ebay for fairly cheap.

hooken203

Yes I will call Todd and see what he can do for me. From what I see they dont make a Bravo1 in 27 pitch. Not sure one inch down on pitch will be enough.

hooken203

Todd I will call you Monday morning. All the water I can really run on is at or way above flood stage. So no boating for me for a couple weeks. Might as well send you the prop and see if you can make some changes.

hooken203

I am nit picking here but a true Bravo 1 only comes in even pitches and has no PVS holes. Bravo 1 FS not the same.

mittenbass

I am nit picking here but a true Bravo 1 only comes in even pitches and has no PVS holes. Bravo 1 FS not the same.
I am pretty sure several years ago before all of these "specialized" Bravos came out Mercury would sell odd pitches of the Bravo by adding cup to the next lowest even pitch prop. They may have done the reverse (taking cup out) I just can't remember exactly. But yes, they only cast them in even pitches. That may still be true of the Bravo XS, FS, OC etc. I'm not sure if they cast these in all pitches or still start from the even pitch castings.