trolling motors 12 or 24 Volt

john w

on a xb2002, i as thinking, since i will have a Merc 280 i should be able to run a 24 volt 60-80 lb thrust motor and run only 2 batteries total and share 1 battery for the starter, possibly 2 -24 series deep cycles. I think the 27 series will be to heavy, your thoughts please.

Thanks

GotMyAlly

I've done it with 27's and never had a problem. The 24's may make me a bit nervous, but I like to fish daylight till dark sometimes.......

Bobalouie

Unless you are a tourney fisherman, get a 12V troller. I have an old MG 43lb thrust motor on mine, and it moves my boat around in anything but a 20 mph headwind.

suicidealli

I'm old school!! I still run the old omc 12/24V trolling motor. I have ran all kinds over the years, and like the omc the best... They do use a little more battery up, than the newer ones. Run it on a single battery, and if you have to turn the 24 on.. I run 3 batteries.. I never run electronics, or troller on engine battery...JMO

Roy

chad202

With your motor, you can run two 24s, get a battery isolator and charge both batteries every you crank up. I'd go 24v. You'll run two batteries either way so why not go with more power that drains less.

john w

Thanks for the quick response all. My thoughts were a 280 has a good alternator, unlike the 260. 2, 24 series deep cycles and a 24 volt motor guide 83 lbs i think should work good. If i had to add 1,24 series for a starter, that would be ok.

After having the 250 ho Etec on it, i'm really trying to save on weight in the back of the boat. I have learned that Allisons dont like heavy motors on them. Darris was right.

Its starting to come together,

I'll keep ya posted, probably a lot more questions to come.

Thanx,
John

GotMyAlly

If you're going to go with 24's, I'd spend the money to get a couple of good ones.........not just wally world 24's.

I've been cranking off a Cabelas AGM group 24 and I highly recommend it. It's got more capacity and cranking amps than most of the 24s available.

deadeye99

I run an omc 12/24 and 2 batteries. A grp 27 for the 12v and livewell. A grp 24 optima for cranking and 24v. I don't need 24v very much but when you do, you do. 16 years on this set up, except the optima part, with no problems. Bob

john w

deadeye, I like that idea. I already have 2 Johnson trolling motors 12 volt, 1 hand control, the other pedal. We fish a dam where i live and the current is way strong, so 24 volt is a must.

Chad, I have never used an isolater before. That will charge both batteries when the motor is running? I was thinking of buying the odyssey's,to keep the weight down.