Trolling motor shaft length?

Blueally XB21

I have an XB21 2+2 that I am going to upgrade the trolling motor on. The Minnkota Ultrex is offered in 45" shaft and 52" shaft. Which one do you guys with XB21's use?

BigRWater

For what it is worth.
I've only ever set in an XB21, I own a 2003, I do fish almost every weekend with my nephew (he has a real job) & do a few local tournaments... ...the longer the shaft the more your propeller stays in the water under less than ideal wind/current conditions.
I have a 60" and a 72 " for my XB 2003.
Even the 60" will come out of the water. I don't remember the 72 inch coming out of the water, but maybe.
Longer may mean less free spin of the propeller, & for us, more fishing days.
For everyone else I fish with, I could use a 45 inch as they are all fair weather fishermen.

R2SNinja

I have an XB21 2+2 that I am going to upgrade the trolling motor on. The Minnkota Ultrex is offered in 45" shaft and 52" shaft. Which one do you guys with XB21's use?
I just bought a XB21 boat and I was told if I bought anything larger that a 45" shaft I wouldn't be able to open the compartment without deploying your TM. food for thought.

Blueally XB21

Thanks for all the input, I went with the 45". Works great for my type fishing so far. This Ultrex is an amazing motor!