Trim Pump

badbait

I'm looking to speed up the trim on my 280 OS. What trim pump works the best for this without going to a 24 volt since this is just for lake use. Brand and model# would be very helpful?

Bobalouie

The Mercruiser pump is supposed to be pretty fast as well. Just look for a pump that has the clear plastic reservoir on it. Those are the cruiser pumps. A note here: The mercruiser pump uses an o ring seal fitting that goes into the adapter, then your lines connect to that o ring seal fitting. My stock 280 pump did not use that oring seal adapter, the lines threaded directly into the adapter, thus, my lines did not fit with my new cruiser pump. So, if you go that route, try to get the lines for the pump, or you can go the route I did and have some custom made for about $15 each. I dont know about your lines, but mine were way too long, and I was able to shorten them when I had the hoses made. Makes for a much cleaner install.

Last edited:

jimbob88

I may be looking for a new tilt trim pump as well. '99 225pm. Which ones fit mine, or do all those at bobs machine?
Auto Trims down when on water. Won't do it at home in garage. Thinking trim motor must have water getting in it. Thanks, Jim

RedAllison

I agree, the Mercruiser pump ROCKS!!! Lou had one on his white SS2000/260SS and I fell in love with it. I always said I wanted to try one when I had my 225SS on my XB03 but never did until I drove his. WOW was it awesome, just a couple blips and she was there.

I always hesitated recommending 15" motors for lake/fishin use because mine was so slow and I never wanted to go with 24V setups. After driving that Mercruiser pump I wouldn't have anything BUT a 15"er on anything Darris makes except the 21s.

:at the bar
RA

Bobalouie

Here is a question for you guys. I have been running 24V up trim on my stock 280 pump, and I am switching over to the Mercruiser pump here in the winter. Should I run 24V to the cruiser pump or will 12V be fast enough? I have never run the cruiser pump or had any experience with them. I am rewiring the back of the boat now, so I can make any changes pretty easy.

suicidealli

i dont reccomend 24v on a cruiser pump on the trim button. your asking for trouble. a small tap is a lot of trim. so if your are running hard, and need just a tap it will be to much, and you COULD GO AROUND..... 12V on the trim button..... if you are going to race and need 24v up trim get a trim computer...JMO

roy

bullwhipjkg

ive had a mercruiser and got a bobs pump in boat know and unless your racing all you need is 12v but mine is set up on dual blinker trim right side 24v up and left side 12v up no trim computer but as stated both these pumps are fast on 24v the bobs will go from full tuck to neutral in less then 2 secounds on 24v

Last edited:

suicidealli

i know i could use 36v for the 800' stuff, but dont want to add the weight. the odba pro mod with a 2.4 is 1200 lbs. i dont think i can get that low. im going to try pro carb and i think i can make 1250, but if there isnt enough boats they will stick me in with pro mod, and im giving up 50 lbs........ that SUCKS

roy

suicidealli

i agree eric. i would like to run the 800' with my drag, then swap powerheads for the pro carb.. i dont think 36V would help me even with a drag in the 1/4. but 800' it might help, that is no weight limit that is where i wouldn't want to add the weight.. you know how light some of these boats are!!!!!!!!!

crimsonmerc 1/4 mile pro mod or mod pro. not the outlaw 800' pro mod
http://www.odbaonline.com/

Last edited:

patches

If there rigged right they can definitely get down there. I ran mine this past weekend on 24 cause I had some battery issues that kept me from running 36. The boat handles so much better in the first 200 ft on 36 volts but thats with my boat at 1190 with a Drag motor

suicidealli

yeah that first 200' is the hardest to control mine too. im going to loose 20 lbs that will put me @ 200lbs, and with the lighter mid i should be 1240 or so i hope.....