Trailer rollers

GotMyAlly

I've got a roller that's rubbing the hull. School me.....

How do you remove the caps on the roller spindles? And did you drill out the roller itself, or the mounting tabs?

sledman8002002

How do you remove the caps on the roller spindles?
It'd be nice if the caps would just pop off with a bit of prying, but no such luck on my end. Side cutters to nip and peel and tear the cap away was how I ended up removing.
I then replaced with threaded rod of same diameter with a nut on each end, red Loctite on one, tack welded the other.

GotMyAlly

I ended up drilling a hole in the cap, then using a punch and hammer to drive the rod out. Bolts or threaded rods will be going back in.

Allyfishing

I had to do the same as you Neal and drill a hole thru the end of the cap and use a punch. I hammered the living hell out of it too til it finally let loose. The inside of the roller was shot and the bushings holding the pin were just flopping around. I'm replacing the other black one too since it appears that the bushings on each end are pushing out like this one did.

GotMyAlly

I used a galvanized bolt when I put mine back in. Double-nutted to ensure it won't work loose. But for sure easier to remove if I ever need to pull the rollers again.

Bobalouie

You could use a piece of all thread too, if you cant find a bolt. Just double nut at both ends.