Trailer locking up

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Well, since I hijacked my own thread...sort of...I'm going to tell you that it was an easy fix.

The truck had just been in the body shop. The rear bumper had been replaced.

Need I say more. The trailering socket hadn't been plugged back in.

Thanks Neal for the original tip!

SLOmofo

Asian Auto of S.L.O., Inc.
Thats the shop that made the $$$ that bought the Allison that the Prius is used to move it if I need the other bay. The trailer hitch was the first addition to the Prius. No thats wrong. The first thing was a NRA sticker in the window because my wife wouldn't go to the store in it until something was done stating we weren't LIBTARDS.
The RED painted brake calipers, SS tail pipe tip, Wet Okle Real tree Camo seat covers, window tint is something I did later.

The white Tacoma is what it actually gets towed to the lake with. 335,000 + miles.

Be a long, long time before it will need brakes. Regeneration of the battery when the brake is applied. 10/100,000 warranty on the main battery. The little gel battery usually goes for 8 to 10 years it will last longer then me.

I have electric brakes on the Allison trailer with a Prodigy controller works very well. Swap the controller between the Taco, Penis and the Itasca motor home.
Surge brakes only work when the trailer is pushing the tow pig. Hopefully the tow pig is long and heavy enough not to be pushed around, as in jack knife.
The controller can be set up a lot of different ways to match trailer to tow pig.

You can even turn it off, like if the boat isn't on the trailer and the brakes are locking up on a launch ramp.

allimax

Here's another "Japanese Import" in the bottom of this photo. It's a bullet from a Mitsubishi Zero fired at us on December 7, 1941. You can see the swirls from the rifling grooves in the machine gun barrel. My Dad dug this out of the running board of his '36 Dodge after the attack, when he noticed a strafing line up the dock to his car.

THAT is something to show there. Important piece of history I know your family cherishes.:shock:

allimax

Thats the shop that made the $$$ that bought the Allison that the Prius is used to move it if I need the other bay. The trailer hitch was the first addition to the Prius. No thats wrong. The first thing was a NRA sticker in the window because my wife wouldn't go to the store in it until something was done stating we weren't LIBTARDS.
Gary, I hope you know I was just mess'n with ya.:at the bar

njj502

As was I. I'm not a hybrid fan of any band but just my humble opinon. A business that always has business right Gary?

SLOmofo

No harm, no foul!

I really am the Maytag Repair Man of auto repair. It's always been a good product not many pattern failures. The auto repair bus has in my case turned from repair to service. Trouble is the amount of required service is less and less. It's OK I'm old and slow now and everything has been paid for for a long time. Professional Toyota Grease Monkey since 1972

Last edited:

GotMyAlly

Did you add the electric brakes? I always wondered why you never saw boat trailers with electric brakes. Surge brakes just work OK, but electric brakes are so much better. Got them on my bbq team trailer that is heavier than any boat, and it stops on a dime.

The RED painted brake calipers, SS tail pipe tip, Wet Okle Real tree Camo seat covers, window tint is something I did later.

The white Tacoma is what it actually gets towed to the lake with. 335,000 + miles.

Be a long, long time before it will need brakes. Regeneration of the battery when the brake is applied. 10/100,000 warranty on the main battery. The little gel battery usually goes for 8 to 10 years it will last longer then me.

I have electric brakes on the Allison trailer with a Prodigy controller works very well. Swap the controller between the Taco, Penis and the Itasca motor home.
Surge brakes only work when the trailer is pushing the tow pig. Hopefully the tow pig is long and heavy enough not to be pushed around, as in jack knife.
The controller can be set up a lot of different ways to match trailer to tow pig.

You can even turn it off, like if the boat isn't on the trailer and the brakes are locking up on a launch ramp.

SLOmofo

When I got it it had electric. Since then I have replaced all the suspension still keeping with the electric. I really like it. '

People check your shackle bolts for wear. Mine were worn at least 3/16" besides the shackle holes being oblong.

"An armed citizen or an unarmed subject!"

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Swap the controller between the Taco, Penis and the Itasca motor home.
Gary, I'm gonna have to have a talk with you at the WAR about where you found a controller for the Taco and the Penis. :LMAO:

John Richied

Gary, I'm gonna have to have a talk with you at the WAR about where you found a controller for the Taco and the Penis. :LMAO:

You are interested in penis... DON'T DO IT LOU!!! Stick with the taco! :big grin

Take three steps back gentleman, Lou is coming out! :gasp

And Gary being he wants to talk to you about it, well nevermind. :laughing

fishnfireman

If you have the hydraulic surge brakes there is nothing electrical that controls them. Pull the drum off and take a look at the actuator. Mine went out last summer, I replaced both of the entire assemblies with new ones, easy job short if bleeding them. Here's a link :beer:
http://www.boattrailerparts.com/Titan-Hydraulic-Brake-Assembly-10-inch-Marine-Coated-for-Left-Side_p_199.html
The older surge brakes, were drum style, and did not need to be locked out. Most of the newer ones have disc brakes and come with the lock out solenoid.
The drum style brakes on a boat trailer were never a good thing. Something about submerging them in water, then letting em sit.. The little rust bugs would start eating away at the internal parts.

fishnfireman

True story.....and funny. Happened at a boat show back in 2001, when a local dealer started selling Triton's...
My 2000 Allison came with the disc brakes, so I was aware of the need for the extra wire going to the back up lights.
Anyway the OWNER of the dealership was telling me about all the great attributes of the Triton and why I should buy one. He started telling me about the "brand new- Triton only" surge-disc- brakes. Only problem was you can't back the trailer without it locking up the tires. BUT---they had figured out a solution !!! If you attached the extra wire to your tail lights,, Problem solved. I then asked the gentleman. So what happens if I need to stop real fast and the tail lights are on ? Now I have no trailer brakes !! At this time he got a real serious look on his face, turned and walked off. I often wondered how many boats they may have FIXED that way.